It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is just plain stupid.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A

I don't know if you have an afro or skin head and since I can't confirm either, then yes you have both.

So, why do you believe in a god that does exist?

Again you’re not making any sense, it is impossible for me to both have an afro and a skinhead; we’re not talking about quantum states here.

Why does not knowing whether something exists or not mean that it must both exist and not exist at the same time? What is the logic that leads to this conclusion?

And I don’t believe in a god that does exist.

I don't know what type of hair you have so for me to make a choice I have to believe in the choice I'm making and I refuse to have a believe about something so silly.

where is the logic in not believing in some thing that does exist?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

reply to post by GMan420

the inability or refusal to believe or to accept something as true.

The first definition of disbelief from the source you cited is;

the inability or refusal to believe or to accept something as true.

dictionary.reference.com...

If I say that I don’t know whether something exists I must necessarily be refusing to accept the truth of its existence. The alternative is to accept that its existence is true in which case I must know that it exists.

Therefore to say that I don’t know whether god exists is also to say that I disbelieve in its existence.

Disbelief does not equal uncertainty but uncertainty does equal disbelief.

If you say that you don't know whether something exists you are refusing to accept both the truth of its existence and the truth of its non-existence. The alternative is to accept that its existence OR non-existence is true, in which case you must know that it either exists OR does not exist.

Uncertainty does not equal disbelief. Being uncertain about something is not the same as inability or refusal to believe something.

"I'm uncertain if god exists" != "I refuse to or I am unable to believe that god exists"

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to get across...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

I don't know what type of hair you have so for me to make a choice I have to believe in the choice I'm making and I refuse to have a believe about something so silly.

Hang on a minute! You’ve just said that if you don’t know then all possibilities must be true yet now you refuse to belief either in the existence or nonexistence of my afro because it’s silly.

I take the same position on god.

where is the logic in not believing in some thing that does exist?

You don’t believe in my afro but it may very well exist.

The position of neither believing in the existence of something nor its nonexistence is the only logical position to take if one lacks any information that either case is true or false.

reply to post by GMan420

Let’s get rid of the word “uncertainty”. My position on god is simply that I do not know whether or not such a being exists; my contention is that this is legitimately defined as atheism.

Since I say that I don’t know that god exists it would not make sense to also say I believe in god, therefore it must be the case that I refuse to or am unable to accept the truth of gods existence. In other words I exhibit a disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings as per your definition of atheism.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

reply to post by GMan420

Let’s get rid of the word “uncertainty”. My position on god is simply that I do not know whether or not such a being exists; my contention is that this is legitimately defined as atheism.

Since I say that I don’t know that god exists it would not make sense to also say I believe in god, therefore it must be the case that I refuse to or am unable to accept the truth of gods existence. In other words I exhibit a disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings as per your definition of atheism.

"My position on god is simply that I do not know whether or not such a being exists"

OK... with that statement, by definition, you are agnostic.

Atheists actively believe there is no god. They don't just "not know whether or not such a being exists", they flat out believe such a being does not exist.

"...therefore it must be the case that I refuse to or am unable to accept the truth of gods existence"

Ahh... but you are also unable to accept the truth of god's NON-existence (from your position that you don't know whether or not such a being exists). Making you agnostic. An atheist accepts the truth of god's NON-existence.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
you seem to miss some basics. You had the answer in your question itself. Do you think god came from nothing then? be logical.

Stop creating threads with illogical questions.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JAGx1981

I have no problem with Atheists, but I'm tired of their '' I am almighty, have all the answers, I am always right '' attitude.

And I am sick to death of this assumption. I have never heard any atheist claim this. Sounds to me much more like the stance of the religious people.

Pure invention - all of it.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
lol how do you reply to a (stupid) thread like this?
isnt saying athiests are stupid kinda stupid?

we've got science and facts
youve got a very debatable old book.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Only way towards truth is through spirituality. If you want to know the answers, you will find them within yourself. Do not follow words of others, follow your own thoughts. That is all I have to say about it. Have a nice day.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bwinwright

That’s my biggest problem with atheism. It’s just so stupid.
That's a very well thought out argument.

I have always believed Atheists to be suffering from a rather serious form of mental illness because they expect others to accept the idea that something can come from nothing. That’s just plain stupid, isn’t it?
Tell me genius, where did God come from?

You say Atheism is stupid?

Believing that a invisible wizard created everything is stupid.
Believing that when you die, your ghost goes to a land of clouds and dead relatives to live for eternity is stupid. Believing that an elderly man put two of every species on a boat without them eating each other or starving to death is stupid.
Believing in talking bushes is stupid.
Believing in a virgin being impregnated is stupid.
Believing that cupping your hands together and talking to yourself allows you to telepathically transmit requests to an invisible man who can grant you anything you desire is stupid.
Believing that when your brain shuts off, instead of your thoughts and perceptions ceasing to exist because you can no longer process anything, you continue to live on in some inter-dimensional land of fairies and angels is stupid.
Believing that two people inbred humanity into existence is stupid.
Believing that out of the hundreds of religions that have came and gone throughout history, yours is the correct one is stupid.
Believing that your God exists despite the fact that there have been hundreds of deities and religious textbooks that claim their God and their religion is the correct one is stupid.

However believing that we don't know all of the answers, but Physics, Astronomy, Biology, Geology, science, Mathematics, logic, reason, and rationality can help us find these answers is far from stupid.

People with higher IQs are less likely to believe in God -- Atheism correlates with higher IQs, so technically speaking, atheists are on average more intelligent that creationists.

BOOM

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by neonitus

You could say something like.
"beating a dead horse is stupid"

But these threads give great insight into why people slaughter each other all over the world over belief systems.
Both for and against, some kind of god thingy.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

People with higher IQs are less likely to believe in God -- Atheism correlates with higher IQs, so technically speaking, atheists are on average more intelligent that creationists.

BOOM

While I agree with you, I have to wonder about that statistic you linked.

If a theist becomes an atheist, or vice versa, does their IQ adjust accordingly?
edit on 31-7-2011 by Embertail because: fix quote

edit on 31-7-2011 by Embertail because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

move to chit chat. This thread is just plain stupid.

CJ

Wait ( don't close it yet!)... I can hardly wait to read the quoted scripture replies flying in over the transom!

God says:" you is stupid". Pauls tweet to the7th st."crips" 27-31

You know the game:"God said it : prove me wrong.."

edit on 31-7-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

FOSSILS dude

"let's drop off some more T Rex skeletons just to F*** with them......"- God

"great idea dad"- Jesus

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by JAGx1981
No mods don't close this thread, leave it open. Why is it when Atheists bash religion it's all well and good and a '' debate'' but when atheism is attacked those whine and cry '' mods close the thread ''.

Never seen that but you obviously believe it to be true....is that what they call faith

In fact atheism is stupid. You are against people whom believe in God, yet you believe in something that is even more of a longshot in creation because another human being thought he had the answers in book or speech you gazed at that drew your heart strings.

No I'm not. You can believe in what you wish to believe. However, as soon as you start firing off attacking my belief system (or rather lack of belief) you have, in my opinion, given me carte blanche to attack your stupidity. You used the word stupid first not me. The OP started with opening salvo against atheists not me against the religious.

Contradiction after contradictions.

????? whatever you're smoking can I have some.

I have no problem with Atheists, but I'm tired of their '' I am almighty, have all the answers, I am always right '' attitude.

I agree, OP!

Atheists never say that. It is precisely because we believe in mans ability to find the answers that we will never say that. Science is an ongoing process about discovery, theory, test, re-think , re-measure etc etc. Round and round the cycles go but after each loop we know more and ironically we know more that is wrong.....like a belief in God!

Your problem as clearly highlighted here is fear. You are afraid of atheists because they put doubts in your mind because your belief system is flawed. Where did God come from? How long has he been there? Is he male? How can he be? That indicates DNA and thus a female of the species. Where is God's "mate". I mean we could go on and on for hours. Instead I'll shut up and have nice giggle at yet another thread of desperation by the religious Doubting Thomas's.

Look on the bright side, one day you might get better.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Embertail

While I agree with you, I have to wonder about that statistic you linked.

If a theist becomes an atheist, or vice versa, does their IQ adjust accordingly?
I think the IQ increase would precede the shift to atheism.
edit on 31-7-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

The something I am referring to is classified as intelligence. The atheist believes that the universe and everything within it was the product of some mindless, non-intelligent event, and that intelligence had absolutely nothing to do with any of it? Now, please, that’s just plain stupid, isn’t it?
Can you name any form of order, just one example of orderliness that did not require some form of intelligence to produce or create it? Let me stop you now.
I don’t want you wasting too much time thinking about it. There is no such thing. All orderliness requires intelligent direction. This law, alone, proves atheism to be a false idea.

There are many wrongs in your assumptions (as far as "wrong" or "right" is applicable when it comes to beliefs.).

The first problem i am having here that "we" (established science) and we humans in general have no idea yet about how the universe actually was "created". Big Bang theory (something created from nothing) is indeed only a theory...and by being that not even the best one.

We cannot debate whether "something come from nothing" makes sense if we dont know the "true" way about the origins of the universe. There are theories that the universe does indeed not have a "beginning" and and end, that this observed expansion (big bang) is only ONE of many, maybe infinite numbers of big bangs.

* You use the word "intelligence" but oversee the fact that for something to evolve (eg.intelligent beings in an universe) or planets, galaxies etc. it does indeed not need "intelligence". Even with a speculation there was no intelligence whatsoever involved - the laws of physics/nature etc. will ALWAYS let the universe evolve in some way or the other, which (at the end) will turn out "right" and "reasonable" - simply because there is no other choice.

Interpreting there was an "intelligence" AFTER THE FACT does not make sense.

Example...if we assume that eg. gravitation etc. is a basic "force" in the universe...and then we see how planets and galaxies formed..it's "simply" a result of how the universe works and how forces and physical laws shape our world.

Of course, this also applies to all beings and (at the end) the development of intelligence.

* Similar to the above, you use the term "order" but don't realize that order and perfection are ALSO only human terms. The universe and everything in it doesnt have another choice than evolving and developing as it does, based on laws in the universe and forming an "order".

Let me give you an example:

If i drop something, it falls down to the ground instead of upwards vanishing in the depths of the sky

So..you would argue there is a mysterious "order" behind it since without this fact we would all fly out to space etc....so there must be some intelligent creator who is responsible that everything is as it is...and everything is planned and thought out well by some "intelligence"?

You are also falsely implying that we think "intelligence has nothing to do with it"...which is clearly false. One can not believe in a creator....but very well see that intelligence has evolved from a dumb/dead universe...which is IMO a very fascinating aspect. It is legit to ask whether there is a reason why intelligence is coming at one point in the creation of the universe...intelligence which is aware of itself and eg. can ask such question about the way how the universe has been created etc..etc.. - instead of asking how everything STARTED while we actually dont know how and when the universe started.

* You do, of course, have the freedom to believe what you want, and if you want to believe in a single creator who created the whole universe..so be it.

For me, personally, such a thought would open up much, much more questions than it would answer...by a long shot.
edit on 31-7-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Why do theists think they are the normal ones? Why do they think that atheists are unusual? We don't require a stretch of the imagination to be who we are.

I've never had an atheist knocking on my door or preaching in the mall, pushing me to feel guilty about who I am. What religious people need to realise is that atheists are innoocent! Isn't the work of the devil to make others feel bad like him? It's all a religious construct

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by bwinwright

Of course. Any man who doesn't believe in magic bearded wizards in the sky obviously has a much lower IQ than us normal folks right?

That’s my biggest problem with atheism. It’s just so stupid. I have always believed Atheists to be suffering from a rather serious form of mental illness because they expect others to accept the idea that something can come from nothing. That’s just plain stupid, isn’t it?

Exactly! You, my friend, know what you're talking about here. It's clearly some kind of mental disorder these guys have. I mean, it's just ridiculous to believe the universe could have been created through some means other than sky wizards and fairies.

The something I am referring to is classified as intelligence. The atheist believes that the universe and everything within it was the product of some mindless, non-intelligent event, and that intelligence had absolutely nothing to do with any of it? Now, please, that’s just plain stupid, isn’t it?

Ain't that the truth? Who do those atheists think they are with their "science" and "math" and stuff, am I right or am I right?

Can you name any form of order, just one example of orderliness that did not require some form of intelligence to produce or create it? Let me stop you now. I don’t want you wasting too much time thinking about it. There is no such thing. All orderliness requires intelligent direction. This law, alone, proves atheism to be a false idea.

Now they have to be idiots to believe stuff like this. I mean it's pretty obvious that stuff like lightning is just God bowling and stuff. And cockroaches and diseases are God's way of telling you to "Pick up your trash dirty atheists!!!!1"

Open your eyes people.

edit on 31-7-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
"Just plain stupid" could refer to anyone who thinks they have all the answers imho.
2nd

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join