It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never Anymore Periods!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Disclaimer; This topic has been discussed with an administrator if it was suited to post on ATS.

Women using the pill don't need their periods anymore.

They can keep swallowing it. Still they think it's needed that they need their "natural" period.
A Strip with pills women need to swallow every 3 weeks, and stop a week to have their periods.
That's how the pill was marketed 50 years ago and that's how most women know the pill.

The only reason then was to create social acceptability, "they feared women wouldn't use the pill at all", Says Marlies Sellekens.

According to Rob Beerthuizen, Gynaecologist and director of the anti-conception foundation Netherlands; The church was against birth control, but with a an idea of a "natural" cycle it was acceptable, that there was no ovulation they "forgot to mention". So the week of stopping has no use at all.

Translated from scratch.

Original Article in Dutch

Original source through Google translate

So on one hand this seems good news, no more need for having pain because of the monthly period, but on the other hand, it are more hormones and chemicals stacking up into a woman's body which can't be good either.

I wonder what you all think of this development.

GM

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It sounds rather unnatural and the entire idea of it thoroughly creeps me out. Something about it just ain't quite right. I don't know how to put my finger on it.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I don't take it and only ever did for a very brief period of time. Makes me feel like hell.

Women probably are menstruating now more than they ever did before. Periods of famine, and lots of times getting pregnant and then miscarrying and ecological nursing would have significantly impacted the number of times a woman experienced her menses.

I don't have an issue with it.

My main concern remains the same as it has been for a while. The pill is messing with women's fertility is a far more profound manner, and it is changing the type of men that a woman is attracted to. To men that are likely not as good of breeding match. Possibly lending itself to the number of divorces, and the number of couples who cannot concieve for no known reason.

I believe that the pill is having a more profound effect on the next generation than people are currently aware of, and may only become obvious in retrospect.
edit on 2011/7/27 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I think anything that gives women more control over their own bodies is a good thing as long as it's safe to do so.

This would be a great relief for many women. It just depends how beneficial if any, having a break from the hormones is. As for the build up, I can't see how the body could detox itself in just one week anyway.

Sounds good to me.
edit on 27-7-2011 by studio500 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Speaking as a woman, we are all ready accused daily of being hormonally on over dive. Any chemical added just can't be good. I have often wondered if men's Niagara has led to more rape crimes because their levels have been turned up as well.

Me thinks is might just be better for the woman too, for lack of better way of putting, keep the store doors closed.

On a side note, its a shame a woman has to choose a pill to save herself when religious beliefs, etc., or just plain "No", wont help her.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I've heard this before, I don't like it either - I like to give my body a breather, a time to balance itself even if it is only a short while.
I've been on the pill since I was 16 but I've always disliked taking it.

Who knows what they really put in it and don't tell us about. I worry that they want to make it harder for us to conceive when the time comes for us to want to - population control and all that. I use organic and natural products when ever I can, and taking the pill just doesn't feel right - but there isn't a natural alternative. I want the extra protection and it stops my periods from being painful.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Hi, GM!

This is interesting news, but the pill was never that great for me. It made my periods longer and caused me to have worse PMS. Go figure. I never tried not doing the pill free week though. It just doesn't seem as though it would be good for the body not to go through that cycle. I'd think more research would have to be done to see how this affected when a woman started menopause.

Then, I'd heard that women who are on the pill are believed to choose wrong partners. This idea makes sense since there have been more divorces since the pill has been invented. It really makes you wonder. While you're dating, the guy seems great. Then, you marry him and go off the pill and all of a sudden, you're not attracted to him anymore because your chemistry is different.

Here's just one article about this theory:
www.webmd.com...

edit on 27-7-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

My GF has been taking her pill continuously for a number of years due to endometriosis. Apparently there's no need for regular cessation as the endometrial tissue doesn't grow in the first place - so there's no need to... well... give it the opportunity to dissipate.

Luckily, my periods are quite rare, otherwise I think I'd be doing the same thing.

Ah. It's good to share

edit on 27/7/11 by lizziejayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I would rather put up with painful periods and being a tiny bit emotional for a few days then take the pill in any form.

I've tried various types of contraceptive medication and it makes me bat# crazy mood wise pretty much daily, and makes me gain loads of weight.

A friend of mine stopped the injection over 12 months ago (after just one). She hasn't had a period since, and has doubled in size despite not changing her eating habits and coming up negative on various tests to see what the issue is.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Whoa !

Personally I cherish my periods, as they have always been irregular, fortunately they are not as irregular as they used to be, but nevertheless reading something like this makes me shudder.

When I was younger not having period felt like not being a woman, a reminder of how my body was potentially letting me down with regards to fertility. I literally felt like I wasn't a proper woman.

Happy to report that fortunately 2 years after having taken Clomid, I have two wonderful children.

I understand the arguments for birth control, and I'm not against, but I wouldn't do it personally, especailly if there are any underlying menstrual irregularities to begin with.

Interestingly enough when I was younger, doctor wanted to encourage me to go on the pill, because it would "regulate" my cycle, but when I asked what would happen when I came off the pill again, they replied, thea I would go back to being irregular again !

Whay would I bother to ?! ,

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
OMG...

What better way to convince people of population control. Great way to keep people spending money on the legal drugs, again...feed the greed This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. It is the most unnatural and degrading thing to be done to the female body.

Menstruating is not necessary??? Believe it or not, if a period does not happen monthly it DOES throw the hormones out of wack. Women will gain weight...get angry...have pains in their ovaries, their lower backs, etc.
Where as if they menstruate...their bodies hold a healthy balance, some may have pain for the duration of their visit from Aunt Flo...but it is worth it to be healthy. If someone wanted to stop the process why not just get a total hysterectomy? No kids, it's permanent...just like taking "The Pill" all the time...

This is totally apalling. If anybody out there does not SEE where this is leading...you never will understand.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I've never taken the pill, I'm really bad at swallowing any pill form of medicine and decided to skip it to avoid the feeling like it's stuck in the back of my throat. I guess I don't really fit into this conversation other than not having a period wouldn't bother me. I have tried: the patch- came off too easily and made my skin red, the shot-made me gain weight and very emotional, and have settled on the Marina iud- rarely have periods and when I do it's not much, no weight gain, not pleasant to have it inserted but it lasts over 5 years. I heard the other iud the copper one can make periods worse for you but lasts longer 10-12 years. I think that some people have it worse when it comes to that time of the month than others I was lucky and didn't really suffer but I didn't and still don't want children so not having to remember to take a pill everyday works for me.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
My aunt has just got one of her breasts removed and is currently under heavy chemo.

Her doctors said the cancers origin was hormonal by nature.... Maybe it would be a wise thing not to digest any more additional hormones then what we are already naturally get.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

First I wanna say I love the article on the WebMD link. I like to read the research ads when they are looking for people. I can just imagine the Birth Control one. WOMEN: are you currently or considering taking birth control? Get paid to smell men's sweaty t-shirts as part of a research study. Make up to $10 per sniff!

Anywho, I really dont like the idea of the pill. I've taken it and stopped for a while 3 times, each time my boobs have gotten a lot bigger. And now its just too much, I wondering if I would keep this cycle going if they would ever stop growing. But I barely have a period anymore. Maybe most women would be excited, but I just dont feel like its right. Its actually frustrating because every time I'm hoping its back how it used to be, but its less and less. I just dont think thats good.
And whats with the "week off" ones? You dont need them for a week but they give you something so you dont mess up everyday. I cant imagine what kind of crap is in the regular ones...do I dare wonder whats in the "week off" ones. My friend never took those cause they would make her throw up.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8e14b54f5ad5.png[/atsimg]
Sound like someone you know?

I noticed a big difference in my girlfriend when she started taking birth control. I went along with it for a while for obvious reasons, but felt that our relationship wasn't evolving properly. If she can never be herself for long periods of time then who are you really building a relationship with? We tried a few different different ones and she went bonkers almost every time.

~Glu

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I would love not having a period anymore esp since I get such bad cramps and have endometriosis...So not fun, any of it. I get very sick and the pill helped with my period not being there but I still felt sick. I would get dizzy and I gained weight and it wasn't natural for my body. I have a low tolerance for many pharmaceuticals. I winded up getting off of it because of all the problems I had. I can't take any pill.

I took Seasonale but had major problems from it...When my period did come it was for a month so it made up for the three I didn't have it.

My doctor said if I didn't want to have it during certain months for whatever reason to just skip the "fake" week and go straight to the following week. She said it was ok to do this but not all the time.

She also said it isn't good for your body to not have a period all the time. She said it could affect hormones and everything else associated with being female in that area.
It's a natural cycle she said and our body needs it, why use drugs to stop it? She said Seasonale was good but long term use wasn't good. I really liked her because she was always very upfront and honest with me.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I used to be on the depo provera injection... you have no periods on that at all... even after you stop... I waited a year for my period to come after stopping it. It also made me feel crazy. I hated it.

Then a few years later I went on the pill... again it made me crazy.

A few months ago I was diagnosed with Polycystic ovaries, and since stopping the pill 2 years ago my periods are very very irregular, sometimes I don't get one for 6 months at a time. I feel a lot better mentally after coming off contraception, however now due to PCOS my hormones are all out of whack, which means infertility problems. I have since read that the depo-provera injection was originally meant for chemical sterilisation...

I am convinced that the injection and/or the pill is to blame for my menstrual problems. If they are not the cause of the PCOS, they have certainly made the situation worse. Population control anyone?

I appreciate the freedom the pill gives females, but I am not sure messing with natural hormones is such a good idea. Periods suck, but if there is the slightest chance that the pill could affect future fertility, there should be an outcry. Everyone is different, and their bodies react differently to medications, and I think there should be a LOT more research and the literature should be made available to absolutely everyone, and no one should be given the pill without being schooled in ALL of the possible side effects which might not be detected for a number of years.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I took the pill from the age of 16 and went from one pill to another because each time i would have one of the side affects!
If it wasn't mood swings it was headaches, if it wasn't that it was nausea and so on. I came off of the pill a few times and found that my health was better. But i soon had to go back on it as one i wanted the extra protection and two i wanted a less painful and less heavy period.

I stopped taking the pill in 2005 when pregnant with my first child, I would like to add that i conceived very quick. I went back on the pill after having my son, but had to stop again due to falling ill. I then found out i was pregnant again in 2008. After having my daughter i went back on the pill again for more control over my periods/pain. But soon stopped and decided to be sterilised as i didn't want anymore children and i didn't want to stay on the pill and did not agree with the other birth control methods!

Unfortunately now i have very painful periods and sometimes go without one for 2 to 3 months. They can last for upto 2 weeks also. But I'm happy with the decision i made
as the pill is a big no!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewlip

Hi Chewlip

When I first fell pregnant in 1999 I miscarried and was told i had cysts on my ovaries. Then I miscarried again about 8 months later.
This really worried me as I thought I would never go the full pregnancy ever. But I came off the pill and eventually had a beautiful son and daughter. Between having my two children I was back on the pill and came off it a couple of times, during this time I miscarried again 7 months before conceiving my daughter!

So yes IMO I do think the pill is bad for us women.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join