It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banning Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Hate to tear you away from 7 pages (currently and it's growing) of SkepticOverlord should be removed as a moderator.

I've a couple of questions about banning.

If someone is banned, is it like those 'IP bans' or whatever they are called or is just their username and profile banned?

Can someone just get a new account and start again if their old one is banned?

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Im glad you asked, I have been wondering this myself. Does each provider have there own IPs?

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Hi Hyperen,

There are a number of 'modes' of banning open to Staff at present, we can ban the members name, or their IP, or both.

Sometimes people may change their user name and wish us to remove/ban their old one...so rather than ban that user at the IP level and thus 'lock' them out of ATS, we can simple just apply the ban to the specified account instead.

Can someone just get a new account if their user name was banned? Yup...they can, unless we ban them at the IP Level. Yes, there are ways around that, but lets not get into that right now

Some people DO go for that option, though New Registrations are logged, along with that new users IP...which is also cross referenced against any other users who have previously posted from/registered from that IP also. There ARE members currently on the boards who were previously banned members...and that we ARE aware of...but for the most part IF that person 'behaves' themselves we tend to show some leniency and just let that slide. If however that person may have done something rather severe that warranted the banning, then we will normally re-ban that person as soon as they come to our attention again.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Peace,
ALIEN

[edit on 15-8-2004 by alien]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Yes it does

Thanks alien

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Is there any way to tell if the IP is a public portal? That would suck if some loser got banned along with the IP address of that computer, preventing other people from possibly joining - of course, if they really want to join I guess they'd just go to the next computer....

If their IP is banned, what does it look like when they go to our domain?

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Does the IP ban work on DHCP connections? or does the user have to have an static IP. Just curious
KillerD

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
Is there any way to tell if the IP is a public portal? That would suck if some loser got banned along with the IP address of that computer, preventing other people from possibly joining - of course, if they really want to join I guess they'd just go to the next computer....

If their IP is banned, what does it look like when they go to our domain?

It will say something like "You are not allowed to view this forum/site"

or it comes up just blank.

I am not sure how the site admin has the ban set up, plus this is a home made board so there are a few ways of showing you are banned.

and no I work with php and I run a few test forums on my computer and used to have a few sites. that is how I know.

Originally posted by KillerD
Does the IP ban work on DHCP connections? or does the user have to have an static IP. Just curious
KillerD

This well if the person has a static IP they are screwed. (But as said earlier there are always ways around IP ban, which I do not want to get into them also.) as for a dynamic IP the person will not be banned if they can get thier IP changed.

Static IP = Same IP for the rest of your internet life.
Dynamic IP = Changing IP more than likey after you turn your modem off and start it. (this is providing you dont leave your computer on 24 hrs a day like myself.)

so say my IP is 111.1.11.111 and it changed to 122.2.22.221 I would now be able to see the board again and probably register again. But that original IP comes back to haunt them at some point.

[edit on 15-8-2004 by ThichHeaded]

[edit on 15-8-2004 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
It will say something like.....
edit on 15-8-2004 by ThichHeaded]

ThichHeaded how did you get -14 in points value????

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer

It will say something like.....
edit on 15-8-2004 by ThichHeaded]

ThichHeaded how did you get -14 in points value????

My 1st post here I swore a few times and got warned, I guess when you get warned your points go down or something. but I have been good and havent swore yet in however many posts I got since.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   

My 1st post here I swore a few times and got warned, I guess when you get warned your points go down or something. but I have been good and havent swore yet in however many posts I got since.

I see..

[edit on 16-8-2004 by websurfer]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Before i get crusified here, i am not questioning S.O.'s credabillity nor any of the mods. Mearly seeking clarifications.

I raised a question in the "ban SO thread"

Slank clearly made other personal attacks, but come on, calling someone a nazi? any political label should certantly be allowable, even if it was used in error or as a derrogatory term... where are the warnings for calling people liberal democrats, or boot jacking republicans? These have been used as "bad descriptive terms" much like Nazi has. but as there IS a Nazi party, why is use of their name as a descriptive term be bad?

Can someone please clarify the use of the term NAZI, as a noun or an adjective? Compare this to calling people other political parties names.

Im under the impression that the warnings were issued for personal attacks....was it the use of the term NAZI?
OR was this just for publicly blasting a moderator?

YES alien, i hear and agree with your assesment you gave me in the other now locked thread....
however another question,

lady v says,

I have moderated several boards before, and have certainly been on quit a few, and while I understand the need for patients and definitely to be fair ..to openly question and disrespect the Mods and/or Admins was not tolerated, this board is provided for the members free of charge, and for such an uproar to exist over the type of postings to one forum is just down right stupid!

I generally find that people in positions of authoirity should EXPECT those under them to whine, complain, and indeed question the authorities.
It amazes me when authority figures are "shocked or offended" by these types of questions, even more amazing is when they then try to silence these questions.
If you cant take it, dont lead. This is a part of being in charge.
I agree that this questioning can cause problems from the person in charge, but only if they are tyranical and without concern for those they are setting an example for.

Yes yes, i know, its a free site and the operators dont have to take crap they dont like, but shouldnt this crap be expected?
Rather than ban this type of speech, why not create a forum for it and let the underlings whine?

I expect to get the same canned, "read the terms" answer for these questions, but felt that when the other thread was locked, any kind of "learning what not to do" was closed.
Perhaps more discussions about these ideas will assist the young and new posters in finding a balanced ettiqete.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Trying to silence the questions? What do you call that 7 page thread?

Basically caz, it is up to staff discretion, because any absolute definition of the rules would quite simply be sidestepped by members. There are always loopholes and so forth that would be shamelessly exploited. Then there would be more complaining when something isn't specifically mentioned in the rules. It'd end up like Taxation laws.

Really, in this context, if the insult is not plain to you then you aren't paying attention.

You might argue that 'Nazi' is just as bad as 'Democrat' or 'Republican', they are both Political parties.

But is calling someones wife a 'Pig' the same as calling them a 'Butterfly'? hey are both animals.

Clearly it is the context that is what defines the action required. A completely unfounded and personal attack on someone who puts so much of his personal time and effort towards this site simply cannot be justified. Thats all there is to it.

On top of which, there is the incorrect assumption that warnings are purely for personal insults, which they are not. That is the most common occurance of warnings. But they are used for any breach of the TAC, including disruptive behaviour, spamming, etc etc. This falls under a number of the terms and conditions.

Now, I'm curious as to what your aim is here. There will not be a forum set aside for whining about ATS, what a ridiculous suggestion.

top topics

join