It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News reports earthquake Baja California

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Fox News reports earthquake Baja California

www.foxnews.com

The U.S. Geological Survey reports that a strong magnitude 5.9 earthquake has hit off the coast of Baja California.

The quake occurred in the Sea of Cortez, 60 miles east of La Paz Mexico, at 11:44 a.m. local time, USGS says.

The tremor's depth was only 3.1 miles, but there were no immediate reports of damage.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Just a quick question, will another one be following this? I know this website has a LOT of smart people so when it says Depth, what does that mean in terms of severity. also Is that a typo, I'm central time, and it said this happened at 11:44 local time, California is two hours behind me, so that would be in the future lmao, Also its not showing up on ROSE EDIS

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Puterman and TrueAmerican are the leading ATS'ers on this subject matter. Maybe hit them up.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

edit on 26-7-2011 by macman because: Double post

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by hapablab
it said this happened at 11:44 local time, California is two hours behind me, so that would be in the future lmao

Wait, Baja California is not equal to California. Baja California is a state in Mexiko.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Check out the 2011 quake watch thread here www.abovetopsecret.com...

link   

Originally posted by UnixFE

it said this happened at 11:44 local time, California is two hours behind me, so that would be in the future lmao

Wait, Baja California is not equal to California. Baja California is a state in Mexiko.

Ah lol, Chicago public school system here (I never did tell them thank you for the wonderful education I received) different times then? maybe that may make a difference lmao.

link   
At that size only old or unstable structures would suffer any damage.

Yes, Aftershocks always follow earthquakes of significant size. On this planet an earthquake over 1 occurs every 6 seconds.

Earthquakes are extremely common in that area as well.

The report of the depth will likely change. It takes a few hours before you see the final numbers after the data is reviewed. Shallow quakes tend to do more damage.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
Check out the 2011 quake watch thread here www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you Agarta, I tried searching on here but I kept on getting old results, gonna check out that thread now

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Yes, Aftershocks always follow earthquakes of significant size. On this planet an earthquake over 1 occurs every 6 seconds.

The report of the depth will likely change. It takes a few hours before you see the final numbers after the data is reviewed. Shallow quakes tend to do more damage.

thank you for the info

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
See ? This is the problem with most of us! We don't know what the hell we're looking at, when the sticky stuff hits the fan. We have no idea what is coming or when it's getting here.
My point is proven by this thread

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

Don't worry about it. On a visit to Chicago last year I watched some chitown kids attempt to start a bonfire with charcoal so I understand ; ) We were all 23 so there was no excuse.. I insisted on blaming your schools while I gathered wood for them.

Anyway.. I think the more shallow the quake the more damage it does (i got a 50/50 but i think thats how it goes).

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnixFE

Ah lol, Chicago public school system here (I never did tell them thank you for the wonderful education I received) different times then? maybe that may make a difference lmao.

I could be wrong but I believe Baja California and California are in the same time zone.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
lol I make no apologies for my airheadness or my smarts lmao.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

No need to. You made your way here so you are doing something right.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Don't worry about it. On a visit to Chicago last year I watched some chitown kids attempt to start a bonfire with charcoal so I understand ; ) We were all 23 so there was no excuse.. I insisted on blaming your schools while I gathered wood for them.

Anyway.. I think the more shallow the quake the more damage it does (i got a 50/50 but i think thats how it goes).

Those must of been the inner inner city kids, I was more south side not as bad as the west side schools so we were taught fractions in 7th grade, as for the states, heh, i remember one year our teacher pulled down the 1940 map and showed us a thing or two, we never left our class, one teacher/one room each year, 40 kids per class, so yeah a lot on their plate. And our school books were dated 1960 and this was 1991, so yeah I knew better when I got a little older but Im sure its not as easy as the suburbanites who had the AMAZING schools lmao.

Thanks for the info, the shallow the more damage is scary if thats the case, I heard this one was shallow.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Few hours? Why can an expert system not review it automatically.

2nd meaningful line.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

USGS now has the report up.

Here ya go, a linky....

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
You should check Dr Mensur Omerbashich's website. His predictions are pretty accurate due to his revolutionary and controversial method of predicting them. I am no scientist, and I would hate to misquote him, so please correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it:

If a number of heavenly bodies line up for longer than just a fleeting moment, you can get an effect similar to soldiers marching onto a bridge. The two resonances (soldiers and bridge) come together and the bridge collapses. Something similar happens when there is a steady alignment of planets and/or comets. Omerbashich's website and interview in which the method is explained. Just ignore his tirade about other things.

While I write this, he hasn't updated his chart with this latest Mexican quake yet, but it's worth checking up on him. He's interesting.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
There's a bunch of discussion on this quake already...partly because of the confusion over where it really is.

This was a 5.9 quake (moderate) in the Southern end of the Gulf of California....well into Mexico.

This is not unusuall for the area and I doubt it even caused any damage.

It is interesting, but really nothing more than that.

On this map you can the larger blue square to the south...that is the 5.9 and they just had another aftershock in the 4 range. It is several hundred miles into Mexico

top topics

<<   2 >>

join