It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever wondered about the GNOSTIC GOSPELS

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
GNOSTIC GOSPEL LINK HERE

If you ever wanted to read em and judge for yourself.
Here you go.
After you are done with a book please post you're reply here so we may discuss it.

LOTZA LUV 2 ALL

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mividau

Expanding the Gospel of Mary thread, huh?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MrOysterhead

That's over in the Conspiracy side.
Might be interesting to have a thread here, too.
Not that I visited the Mary thread.
I sort of stay out of there anymore.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mividau

Not really. Most of them aren't just unbiblical they're anti-biblical. Not to mention they were written centuries after Christ's apostles died and were given pseudo-authorship in an effort to give them some credibility. I trust what Christ's apostles said, they lived and walked with Him, not men from Alexandria, Egypt.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mividau

That is something I was really eager to study, years ago once good translations were being published.
I think they come from a different sort of mindset and culture to where the emphasis is not so much on the dogmatic, as in the spiritual. It is more like something you have to sort of have in the back of your mind for a while and then the parts find little ways to juxtapose themselves into your more current thoughts. So it is more like indirect learning rather that this forceful expounding on truth in a definitive way, which the more "classically" minded people thrived on. I keep meaning to go back and read those again and see if they have more to tell me than way back when.

edit on 26-7-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Well there are gospels not written by eye witnesses that you accept like Luke and Mark right?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrOysterhead

Well there are gospels not written by eye witnesses that you accept like Luke and Mark right?

Luke interviewed eye-witnesses for his gospels (Acts is basically Luke volume 2), and John Mark wrote Peter's gospel, I assume because Peter was illiterate. The amanuensis was a skilled trade in that time period and was used quite often.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

You should compare your own vision of the afterlife with the Elysian Fields and the Islands of the Blest, which are the mystery religion of the Greeks.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Agreed.

But I think most people can also agree that the dates EVERY gospel was written can be questioned, except for maybe Matthew. His reads like it was written as it happened.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

You should compare your own vision of the afterlife with the Elysian Fields and the Islands of the Blest, which are the mystery religion of the Greeks.

That is pretty interesting. All you ever hear about is Hades (one of the bases for the Christian idea of Hell).

Thanks for giving me something to read up on.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MrOysterhead

Nope this is for the people that dont really want to discuss mary. Its got a ton of books. Including the gospel of JUdus and others. I just thought it would be nice to have a op with the link to those right there so you dont have to search an entire thread.

Itsa curtosy thing for all to enjoy.

LOTZA LUV 2 U

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by Mividau

Not really. Most of them aren't just unbiblical they're anti-biblical. Not to mention they were written centuries after Christ's apostles died and were given pseudo-authorship in an effort to give them some credibility. I trust what Christ's apostles said, they lived and walked with Him, not men from Alexandria, Egypt.

So have you read them then? Then is some books that are in perfect harmony with Jesus as there are others you can see why it didnt make it. I also heard a theory the apostols were illerate and didnt even write those.
Just a lil food for thought

LOTZA LUV 2 U

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Mividau

After you are done with a book please post you're reply here so we may discuss it.
I read saying #97 of the G. of Thomas.
A woman is carrying a container of ground meal and a hole develops while she is going a considerable distance one day. When she gets home, she finds the container empty.
It says this is something like the kingdom of God and I think that what it is saying is that there is a spiritual analogy to be found in this story.
It says the handle broke, so that would indicate to me that it is something noticeable if she was paying any attention. One in the situation may make an excuse, How could I have known? Nope, does not work.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mividau

Your link guided me to a line I needed for something, so thanks.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I am happy these books survived. I close my ears to Christians that judge and condemn others with their 'Bibles.' Mainstream Christians can not even agree between Protestants, Catholics, and Eastern Orthodox as to which books to include as Biblical Canon... they all have different books contained in their bibles.

Council Of Nicea... good job getting a master pagan (Emperor Constantine) to call a meeting of the most wealthy, popular, and politically powerful religious leaders to determine the course of Christianity.

Council of Carthage... good job letting the wealthy, popular, and politically powerful religious leaders decide which scripture to ordain and which scriptures to burn.

The whole history of the bible's compilation is overrun with corruption. Christians want to criticize and convert, but don't even understand their bible is..... I'll play nice; 'questionable'

P.S.
Many gnostic and apocrypha texts are older than the Carthage and Nicene Councils... meaning they are older than when doctrine, dogma, and bible became standardized. The ordained New Testament texts are the same age as many gnostic and apocrypha books. What's the debate?

edit on 7/26/11 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Great point, Alot of people seem to think that there was some standardized book that went around.
I just thought it would be nice to see all of chrisanies early views.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

reply to post by Mividau

Your link guided me to a line I needed for something, so thanks.

Well you're welcome.
Glad I did something helpful for ya for a change lmao.
I hope you have many hours of great reading ahead of you

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Mividau

Seems like early Christianity was a big hippy-fest of Love, Forgiveness, Compassion, and Understanding. The money changers and pharisees have since put a strangle hold on the hearts of the innocent believers. The corruption has reverberated down into the separation, judgementalism, criticism, and hypocrisy that we see in today's Christianity.

Any Christians offended, just imagine the offense you drive into the hearts of your "non-believing" brethren. Don't be fooled, we are all one humanity. Only God can judge, so focus on love and unity instead of telling others when they do wrong according to your beliefs.

Love and Peace.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Never had a vision of the afterlife.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Since you have never made claims to having any sort of visions on this forum, shouldn't that be a clue that I was not referring to a literal vision, and that therefore I meant it in a figurative sort of way such as, "how do you envision the afterlife, having read the Bible and subjected yourself to your sect's teachings on it?"

edit on 26-7-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join