It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space storm

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Not sure where to put this so I will start here.

www.thehindu.com...

"We know it is coming but we don’t know how bad it is going to be,” Dr Richard Fisher, the director of NASA’s Heliophysics division, said in an interview with The Daily Telegraph.

Let's see how long before this statement disappears.

Preparations are similar to those in hurricane season?
That's a joke, right?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

If you Google the topic, you'll find quite a few articles about this from mid-June.
Ironically, at the same time, the American Astronomical Society was concluding that the Sun has entered an extended dormant period. That means few (if any) sunspots for decades. (Here's one Source of many.)

The supposed NASA announcement would seem to be fearmongering at its finest.
The AAS announcement, on the other hand, is actual science.
edit on 26-7-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Thanks for the input.

I just thought it was a good read

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Skorpiogurl

Well, definately a lot of dis info in the space area. Didn't scientist just claim that we are heading into a maunder minimum?? So now that only last 1 yr?? I am totally lost. So i think they need to step back and re-analyze the data to come up with some concrete evidence. They seem to be like lost sheep jumping the fence constantly. Sad. Really Sad.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I think they basically just say what they are told to say. There is a ton of dis-information, contradiction, retraction and vanishing of information.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here is the thread on this from when it originally surfaced... in January. In fact, the story, itself, is from the end of last year.

Again (because, obviously, it needs to be repeated, as some people are incapable of reading a single reply), the AAS announcement was from the middle of last month. That means that the conclusion that the sun is entering an extended dormant period was from 6 months after the devastating solar flare claim.
Apparently, it takes 7 months for North American fearmongering to reach India.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Well then, my apologies for re-posting something that has already been posted, discussed and re-discussed. I guess there is no point of continuing with this... Thanks for the information and YOU have yourself a great day.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The OP story dated today refers to The 'Daily Telegraph' story, also dated today which mentions a 'new warning.' Seems like NASA is serious about this - serious enough to take this show on the road. 2013 is, IMHO, the preferred year of TPTB avoiding the much maligned 2012. NASA doesn't often make predictions. The storm is also expected to "hit like a bolt of lightning" in this "new warning." Good thread.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
Here is the thread on this from when it originally surfaced... in January. In fact, the story, itself, is from the end of last year.

Indeed. I believe the story was originally reported in June 2010.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

Do you have a link to the daily telegraph article? I would like to read it. I tried to find it but just couldn't. Thanks!

And to the OP, in the hindu article, it says that the preparations are made like that of a hurricane in the sense they do not know completely what to expect, not physically like a hurricane preparation. Tho NASA's latest statement to make sure family members of NASA employees made preparations in case of a catastrophe seems to contradict what I just said.

So, is it new or not? I, too, read recently when NASA said the Sun went asleep... Is this a WTF situation?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by luxordelphi
The OP story dated today refers to The 'Daily Telegraph' story, also dated today which mentions a 'new warning.' Seems like NASA is serious about this - serious enough to take this show on the road. 2013 is, IMHO, the preferred year of TPTB avoiding the much maligned 2012. NASA doesn't often make predictions. The storm is also expected to "hit like a bolt of lightning" in this "new warning." Good thread.

Yes, thank you for actually reading the article. It's two different articles posted at different times... more like an updated version of the one posted back in January.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi

Do you have a link to the daily telegraph article? I would like to read it. I tried to find it but just couldn't. Thanks!

And to the OP, in the hindu article, it says that the preparations are made like that of a hurricane in the sense they do not know completely what to expect, not physically like a hurricane preparation. Tho NASA's latest statement to make sure family members of NASA employees made preparations in case of a catastrophe seems to contradict what I just said.

So, is it new or not? I, too, read recently when NASA said the Sun went asleep... Is this a WTF situation?

I don't do links but if you search 'nasa warns solar flares from huge space' or 'Fisher interview daily telegraph space storm' you'll get it. Both articles, the one in the OP and the Daily Telegraph mention "new warning." I, too, took no meaning from earlier input mentioning maunder minimum etc. which meant beans to me. This is different and is an actual alert to prepare with a prediction of date and some of what to expect and why this could happen in terms for the layman.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Yahoo news is also reporting as of 9 hours ago search 'nasa warns of global catastrophe post upcoming'.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Thanks, but why am I only seeing one link in the OP? It's only to the hindu article... Strange... ?!?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Here is the link to the telegraph article.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Thanks! I just found it with luxordelphi's provided title.

Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.

Emphasis mine. What is it they CAN'T disclose, then?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Did you notice that the Telegraph article was from June 14, 2010?
Has anyone also noticed that the Hindu article uses "quotes" from the Telegraph article? In fact, the Hindu article quotes the same person as the original Telegraph article - Dr. Richard Fisher. Meaning, it's not a new warning, it's a rehash of the warning from last year.

ETA: here's the actual source - NASA - Science News (June 4, 2010)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Pretty much covered here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Yes, I had... But I was trying to find where it was posted "today" since someone said so... I think what causes the problem is that you find 2 dates on the page; today's and the day the article was posted. It happened to me, too.

Thanks for the link Phage. I agree the sensibility of our equipment is more in cause than the Sun itself, am I right?
After all, Mr. Fisher said it happened a couple of times in a life time so it can't be dangerous for living organisms.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Thanks, Phage, for that blast from the past. I remember the thread and your information but had sort of blocked out the bickering over dates and semantics. MSM these days, in the U.S., IMO, doesn't publish anything unless it's what they want us to know or what they want us to think or what they want us to focus on etc. you get the picture. Because Hindu, Telegraph rehash and Yahoo news chose to put this out again now it is, IMO, a real threat that wasn't fully comprehended the first time around OR a focus on this so you won't see that. I'm going with option A on this and water, food etc. supplies in case of no grid seem wise. Whatever the actual cause or the actual alarm a little bit of preparing can save a lot of heartache when there's no water and no light and no air conditioning and no heat. Why not prepare ahead of time?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join