It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa warns solar flare will cause devastation.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Britain could face widespread power blackouts and be left without critical communication signals for long periods of time, after the earth is hit by a once-in-a-generation “space storm”, Nasa has warned.

National power grids could overheat and air travel severely disrupted while electronic items, navigation devices and major satellites could stop working after the Sun reaches its maximum power in a few years.

Senior space agency scientists believe the Earth will be hit with unprecedented levels of magnetic energy from solar flares after the Sun wakes “from a deep slumber” sometime around 2013, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.
In a new warning, Nasa said the super storm would hit like “a bolt of lightning” and could cause catastrophic consequences for the world’s health, emergency services and national security unless precautions are taken.
Scientists believe it could damage everything from emergency services’ systems, hospital equipment, banking systems and air traffic control devices, through to “everyday” items such as home computers, iPods and Sat Navs.
Due to humans’ heavy reliance on electronic devices, which are sensitive to magnetic energy, the storm could leave a multi-billion pound damage bill and “potentially devastating” problems for governments.

Sources: www.telegraph.co.uk...

hubpages.com...

This is rather scary considering we have just had a massive solar flare right now

sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

www.solarcycle24.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Gosh i hope this happens, but i hope this doesn't take any lives (One probably won't happen without the other)

My dad always had this saying, give a finger - take a hand.
We humans took two hands and a smooch to the face.
Me thinks we need to learn a correct way of advancing, not the fastest.

(If we did it right the first time, a solar flare/storm wouldn't bring us back to square uno)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Haven't they warned about this for some time ago?

Or is it me who is lost?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Why would you wish this to happen? It would be devastating!

I understand it would be an experience, but one I would prefer not to have!
edit on 14-1-2011 by Wildeagle because: Made an oopsie!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

Everything relies on electronics.

Such a solar flare will be a big disaster like we haven't experienced before. Systems aren't in place to cope with such an event.

Just think, shops only supply three days worth of food A scarey thought.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ypperst
Haven't they warned about this for some time ago?

Or is it me who is lost?

Oh, I don't know, this is the first I heard of it... apologies if this is old news!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

It would be a total disaster.

We have grown to rely heavily on technology, and this brings that fact to light. It would be total chaos. :O

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Don't apologies

I just don't remember if it was a warning (or just a speculation) from NASA. I'm just 100% sure I have heard about a massiv solar flare would hit soon. (some years, like you said)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ypperst

I've heard the news before
never any harm in reminding people as these things tend to get lost in the ether
While I guess it also good to remind people that NASA is hopeful that we might make it to 2013

edit on 14/1/11 by thoughtsfull because: sentence structure

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by JonoEnglish

Everything relies on electronics.

Such a solar flare will be a big disaster like we haven't experienced before. Systems aren't in place to cope with such an event.

Just think, shops only supply three days worth of food A scarey thought.

Dear JonoEnglish,
That is why living in the countryside, having a knowledge of trapping and skinning animals, as well as a shotgun and plenty of ammunition is highly recommended.

I'll be eating well, while the townies are beating each other over a loaf of bread.

Regards,
T

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Yes, its good that we hear about it again

We must not forget this, but don't live in fear either.
Just have it in the back of our heads

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Thankyou for your comment, and you give a fair point! Nasa seem to think we will make it there, and I hope they are correct, and something doesn't happen that they couldn't forsee. Stranger things have happened!

Although I plan to live my life happy, regardless of what happens. Everyones day comes eventually

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wildeagle

National power grids could overheat and air travel severely disrupted while electronic items, navigation devices and major satellites could stop working after the Sun reaches its maximum power in a few years.

Fair Point, Although I Dont Think The Sun is Anywhere Near Its "Maximum" Power. It Is One Of The Smallest Suns In Any Of The Solar Systems Around Us True, But It Is Also One Of The Youngest. This Sun Is Really Just Getting Started.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

It's times like this I wish I weren't so squeemish about the idea of skinning animals, etc!

I will most definitely be putting some sort of emergency plan together though!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I'm sure it will come in bursts. The effects of that last tear should probably hit somewhere today to give us an idea of effect. Probably not the best time to fly.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Britain could face widespread power blackouts and be left without critical communication signals for long periods of time, after the earth is hit by a once-in-a-generation “space storm”, Nasa has warned.

I notice how they state that Britain could face this devastation, but I wonder is this stated only because the report Is from a British newspaper, or surely the devastation would be world wide for an event like this?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

That latest image from nassa is kinda creepy,
is that a ghostly entity with a face flaring out from the left ?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

reply to post by Anttyk47

Why would you wish this to happen? It would be devastating!

I understand it would be an experience, but one I would prefer not to have!
edit on 14-1-2011 by Wildeagle because: Made an oopsie!

Like i said, i wish we restart a new.
Imagine a inhabited world without the power that is set up now.
Instead of us moving and conquring, we stay and live and survive.

Great empires rose only because others fallen.
If this would happen - and we did not repeat our historys mistakes, we would become a better people

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
This is quite old news, I'm sure it must have been covered hundreds of time on here already.

As for the flares, no one really knows for sure, how big they will be and the effect it will have on our planet. It is all just speculation at the moment..

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

I notice how they state that Britain could face this devastation, but I wonder is this stated only because the report Is from a British newspaper, or surely the devastation would be world wide for an event like this?

Yes.. Of course it's because it's a British paper, every nation on earth to be affected, some more than others I.e the developed nations who rely on this technology..

<<   2  3  4 >>

join