It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reason I created an ATS account is for some advice on enlisting in the US Navy...�

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
reply to post by megabytz

Yeah, when I got out they were still splitting off HT's to become DC men so I was not sure how that worked. When I worked private sector, there were no navy guys(well a couple EOD) mostly army and other private sector types. They let MAA's start at E4 now? That is a pretty big change.

Life as a petty officer is better but you don't get a lot of respect from airmen when you enter the fleet as an E-4.
Maybe not, but you do get sea pay and a lot more freedom then E1-E3 usually gets.

edit on 25-7-2011 by sonofliberty1776 because: (no reason given)

I believe so but I could be mistaken. I went TAD to security on my carrier and I believe they had a few E-4's as MAA's. I could be totally wrong though, it has been awhile.

Yep they did open MAA up post 911, they wanted to drastically increase force protection.
edit on 25-7-2011 by megabytz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MrChaos999

Glad to help, and this is coming from someone who still has his offer letter from the Navy offering a career in their nuclear program.

The idea is fantastic, and should be amazing. At this point, though, the reality is far afield from the vision. Yes, the US should be strong, and we should have a top-notch military ready to defend us. Unfortunately, though, DEFENSE is not currently the name of the game - we tend to be offensive, and in doing so rashly, wreck our defensive capabilities. All sort of black ops and special programs get the funding and new systems, our troops are thrown abroad unwisely, and a good many groups/systems that need funding and upgrades are left with outdated equipment and communications while actual threats develop.

All of which leave me constantly wondering what the actual agenda is. Take care, and weigh your options carefully. I won't say it might not end up being a good decision, but as Christ said, trees are known by their fruits - and right now the US military (as a result of its leaders) is not bearing a great deal of good fruit. Be blessed and walk in love...and additionally, sorry if this offends any of your beliefs, read closely and listen to the words of my king Christ.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The navy teaches firefighting to everyone.
I left the navy with enough firefighting training to get on any volunteer fire department.
i was a trainer at many volunteer fire departments

This training also gives you a better chance of becoming a forest service or BLM firefighter as a career

And i found the navy to be very helpful in allowing there personal to pick up EMT training on the side.

Most of the EMT courses i have been to have had a number of active duty navy personal (non hospital corpman) taking them.(I live outside a navy base)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoClue206
reply to post by yourmaker

that's the advice you have for him? Really? Just "hey go get a high paying job as a firefighter, anyone can do it".

it wasn't about the money that was running my mind when I wrote that, rather then joining the Navy and aiding the death of someone down the line, why not become a firefighter and save a life who just might save 100 more.
if he can be in the navy, he can be a firefighter.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Navy standards are low these days. I made a good time on the CPAT but in no way was it easy.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

That is true. I had many firefighting and fire watch classes, and it had nothing to do with my rate.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
navy is for .....how do i put this ...........well he it is 100 navy men set sail and 50 couples return ...get it

join the air force and be a air traffic controller

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I have a couple friends and relatives that worked on nuclear Subs. They easily found employment after Navy Life. You just have to look at what kind of training/experience the Navy can offer you that will translate well after your service is over. Course working on a Boomer could drive you crazy if you can't handle the surroundings.

Or you can go this route. My friend finished second in the signal corps class for the Navy and got to pick his assignment.... he chose to go on a ship with the home port of Hawaii. Pretty nice assignment, easy enough work and furlough time when in port was great. Not that the signal training was of much use afterwords, but the time in service was pretty nice. According to him, Navy life was pretty easy. I think the Carriers and Subs would be the most active places to be. He was on a support ship in a Carrier Group, with his role, he wasn't given any *&%# jobs either.

Good Luck on whatever decision you make.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
hmmmm, asking advice about military service on a skeptics choice anti everything conspiracy site..........aint yer pappy the one to do that?

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Ov? lol wow why would you spell it like that its not like its a shortcut to the word "Of" like you would use "because" and "cuz" you just make yourself look dumb no offense, but my advice to you is if you are going to join the navy...learn how to swim and maybe spell

edit on 26-7-2011 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2011 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I think it is a great idea. Like another poster, I served under Reagan. At that time they were making huge cuts in the military. Wish our current administration had the brains to do so.

However, you do admit to being behind in your bills. I'm a bit rusty and been out a while. But I am fairly certain if your credit is bad, you will have a difficult time enlisting. Nothing worse than being called to your CO's office and getting reamed out due to your financial irresponsibility. Also, I'm certain it would be difficult to get a clearance with a wreck-less financial history. Talk with a recruiter to see what kind of impact this may have on you.

Do what you have to and clean up your credit. Good luck to you in whatever decision you make. Personally, if the A.F. has any openings........go for it. I'd rather be a cook in the A.F. than a grunt on the ground.

edit on 26-7-2011 by brilab45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Join the Seabees.
Be a welder,electrician, equipment operator, or a builder. I was in the Navy as a welder. Personally I`d really suggest you looking into that. I was in for 5 years myself. Did 7 and 1/2 months on a ship. I was on the cruise after we pulled out of oops I was the only welder so can`t give that place..
It wasn`t just a job but an adventure.

www.seabee.navy.mil...

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This guy deserves more comments. Come on folks, this young man deserves more comments. More support. This young man is at a precipice of his life. Support him.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join