It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anything you can imagine exists.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
The problem I am seeing between the OP's comments and replies so far is how the word "exists" is defined. We need to establish a strict definition of the word before we can claim whether something can or does exist. Are we talking about physical or metaphysical existence? Metaphysical existence is not bound by the laws of physics and logic and therefore anything can be imagined to exist. Physical existence is bound by the laws of physics and logic and therefore there are limitations on what can exist in physical form. Also the relationship between the two can be very complicated.

edit on 25/7/2011 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

You are right, everyone assumes that there is such a thing as existance. That existance is something that objects do, exist. This is an assumption based on our beliefs and beliefs are based on assumptions.
Really there is only one 'thing' that has existance, that is the subject.
No one has ever experienced a 'thing' (that is considered to be an object). We can only experience our experience.

So we could say that any 'thing' that can be imagined exists because it is within the subjects consciousness.
Does consciousness exist as such? It exists but it is not an object, not a thing.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I say wrong.

If it exists (to each individual) then it can be imagined.

Everything we do and can think of is the culmination and fruit of other things we have known.

Sure, a kangaroo being blown out of my nose exists because I can think of it, but only because I knew what a nose and a kangaroo are before the thought of one being blown out of my nose.

The egg came before the chicken.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

A chicken is just the way eggs make more eggs.
edit on 25-7-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Q. Why did the egg cross the road?
A. It was done on this side.

Life has a way of validating most imagined possibilities, given enough time and scope.
A Kangaroo was accidentially shrunk down to the size of a pea and inhaled,
in X number of years time. The kangaroo was quickly blown out the nostril
into a handkerchief and returned to normal size.

You are free to imagine what you choose, within the realms of your minds experience.
You can not imagine anything comprised of something you do not know.

Something didn't exist in your mind before you imagined it, so do you usher into existence
by imagining it?
But you say that you couldn't have imagined it if it didn't exist.
So someone else must have imagined the exact same thing.
But the same reasoning applies to that someone else, one must imagine.
And on and on in ever decreasing circles,
the extents of which no-one can possibly know or imagine.
So can these extents exist?

Are there any new imaginings?
Are there any imaginings?
Is there even existence?

it's all an academic exercise.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by pshea38

We think therefore we think 'things' exist.
But where do the thoughts come from?
I 'think' i exist.
But is 'I' just another thought?

edit on 25-7-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

fact is that "what is real" is actually a product of our mind/brain.

No. What is real is that which exists INDEPENDENT of being perceived by a mine. You know the old "Tree in the Forest" question? In reality that tree makes a sound regardless of whether there is a set of ears nearby to perceive it.

Saying that the HUMAN is a being solely based off logic is the most ridiculous thing ever

When did I say that? I'm well aware that human beings aren't Vulcans and that much of our perception of reality is affected by the subjective. However this is about what objectively exists and imagining something does not bring it objectively into reality. There are lot's of imagined things, concepts like rights, laws, etc, which do form part of our "reality", they are however not part of objective reality. Laws and rights do not exist outside the mind.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

How can you be so sure that the tree makes a sound if there is no one to hear it? You sound very sure can you explain your thinking.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Trees typically have a good deal of mass and weight, meaning there will be a sound when they fall. How loud the sound will differ of course.

We understand a bit about how physics and the Universe works, plenty to state without doubt that trees that fall in the forest make a sound.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm

[color=palegreen]->By simple logic ,anything you can imagine exists ,
because otherwise you would not be able to imagine it or think it.

Parallel universes are still an untestable hypothesis. Imo, they are improbable compared to this hypothesis.......

Although it is untestable, it is by all means feasible and thus makes logical sense in understanding this mystery of existence and all there is, well at least for me.

By feasible, I mean it simply makes sense and thus provides an understanding of existence and all there is.
But again, it may not be as simple as how we understand it by means of dimensions and Parallel Universes and what have you.

Our understanding and perception is of 3D nature, as we know it, and this basically limits us to fully understand existence and all there is.

This thus springs to mind, the 4 laws of creation:

1. You exist. And in some form you always will.

2. The one is the all, the all are the one

3. What you put out is what you get back.

4. Change is the only constant except for the first three laws.

Credit to BASHAR.

Taking into account the above laws.
It becomes apparent in that perspective, that the logic in the OP stands.

"Anything you can imagine Exists"

edit on 25-7-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mystic Technician

well I agree based on personal evidence and I can imagine alot and if some of my thoughts were manifested in the real world. this world could be both heaven and hell depending on your perspective. now from the information I have learned the universe began with a big bang then expanded (science confirms this) . the universe even branched off into a multiverse with infinite possibilities but this is just my speculation. what if the multiverse concept of the universe exists with each universe existing within each other infinite earths infinite you's each living a different possible scenario. my question is would it be possible to travel between the infinite possibilities based on the choices we make?

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mystic Technician
In this thread I'd like to share some perspectives with you all.
Please keep an open mind and consider to speculate.

Thus ,everything you can imagine exists right now ,even if you cannot see it physically.

If by imagination you can see the way to that which you can imagine
but not see physically right now ,you can eventually see that very thing you imagined.

Paradoxes and anomalies exist which ,when in becoming physical create a sort of magic.

We might not always have a complete sensing of a given perception.
There are plenty of illusions which generally distort the current human brain interpretation.

Now think about that.. Does your mind ever go blank or are you thinking of it being blank?

Star and Flag, good post, great thoughts. My own thoughts too. Anything I can imagine in this point of time, space, and dimension, is instantly created in another dimension of time and space. There are many parallel universes, most of science agrees with this, and there are versions of us in all of these. That hot babe at work that you dream of being your lover? She is, in another universe.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gaurdian2012
my question is would it be possible to travel between the infinite possibilities based on the choices we make?

By making the choices we make, we shift to a parallel reality of our choice.

Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
The Only Thing That Doesn't "Exist" is the un-pursued imagination. Given enough time and resources, anything can be done or made. But you can't start half-way there, you must build the corresponding base-technologies or thoughts that could make it happen first, then add on until you get there.

-Matthew

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

What is sound? There is no sound without the equipment that recieves 'sound'. There are waves of movement, however even an eardrum does not make sound. The eardrum moves in relation to air moving. It takes a consciousness to beable to hear or say sound.

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

There is no sound without the equipment that recieves 'sound'.

Sound on Earth is created by vibrations that flow through the air (or water if you're underwater), in fact that's essentially the definition of sound. While it is technically true that without animals with ears no one would be around to hear those vibrations it should also be noted that not all SOUNDS can be heard by human ears. There are all sorts of low and high frequencies that our ears cannot detect, yet we know that these sounds exist.

We know enough about physics to know that, even without ears around to hear the vibrations that falling tree makes, it will make those vibrations both while moving through the air on its way down and when it hits the ground.

The fact is that there are still lot's of sounds that humans can't hear, yet we know these exist and they ARE SOUNDS whether we hear them or not.

That is my definition of reality, things that exist independent of there being minds to perceive that existence.

edit on 26-7-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

It doesn't? Prove to me I am not a mad god in a void imagining all of this then? I warn you though. No matter what you deem proof. I can assuredly find a shadow of doubt suitable to bypass it. It's all a matter of which point of view one chooses to take.
edit on 26-7-2011 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

That is my definition of reality, things that exist independent of there being minds to perceive that existence.

One problem, nothing in human experience exists independent of the minds that perceive it. I don't mean this in a metaphyiscal woo woo sense. But in the very real sense that our realities and our perceptions of reality is the same exact thing. So how exactly can we know anything exists independent of the minds percieving it? Faith perhaps?

edit on 26-7-2011 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

So how exactly can we know anything exists independent of the minds perceiving it?

Objectively verifiable evidence. I understand what you're saying, how can we ever know for certain that these things exist without minds to perceive them if the only way we know them is through those perceptions. The answer is objective verification. If I say I see a flying saucer and the guy standing next to me says he didn't see anything than there's a fairly good chance that something is amiss with the perception of one of us. But if everyone observes the same things, and instruments without perceptual biases can measure or record those things, than we can say the exist regardless of who is perceiving it.

Let's take something like a planet for instance. Distant exoplanets are often recognized only because while they pass in front of a star they dim the amount of light that star sends to Earth. The human eye cannot perceive these things without advanced instrumentation and even then it might just come back as numbers inside a computer. Yet these planets exist and have existed regardless of our ability or inability to detect them. This could be said of anything we've discovered. Bacteria didn't begin existing the moment we discovered them, they've been around for billions of years. Now it is true that we didn't know of or perceive their existence until a few centuries ago but that doesn't mean that's when they began to exist, it just means that's when we became aware of them.

There are likely a great deal of things which exist that we are not yet aware of but that doesn't change the fact that they exist.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Objectively verifiable evidence.

Doesn't really answer the question you must admit.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join