It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival knives

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I wish my dad had saved his Air Force k-bar for me. Things got a little messed up in the viet so he never had an interest in saving those things. He refused to own a gun until the 80s- 90s. He also would never say yes when I was a kid on my guns. My mom made the call when I was 12 for my deer shotgun. Took him a long time to get past that stuff. If he ever really did.

I am in the process of working up a special project for the Survival area. Its going to take a couple more trips to hardware stores before I can get pics up. Our stores are crap for parts. Something most guys can do, and a killer item to have in your pack at under 10 oz.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68
Hehe
Buck made a "Better Junk" version of that knife.. Hollow aluminum handle and lil spikes for the guard and all!
It's NOT something I'd recommend for a survival knife, but they still sell for over $100 used for a nice one.. if you can find one.

However, if you really like the hollow handle, "Ram-Bowie" style knives, the Buck version is a good bit better blade and quality-wise than most others out there.

I have one of those too, buckmaster 184, its a nice head crusher, very heavy

www.mojoimage.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68
Hehe
Buck made a "Better Junk" version of that knife.. Hollow aluminum handle and lil spikes for the guard and all!
It's NOT something I'd recommend for a survival knife, but they still sell for over $100 used for a nice one.. if you can find one.

However, if you really like the hollow handle, "Ram-Bowie" style knives, the Buck version is a good bit better blade and quality-wise than most others out there.

they're stainless 440C steel blades and handles on the 184 buckmaster and the ramster. not aluminum

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Right on.. It is 440c.

Buck makes a decent knife.

Ive never owned the Ram-bowie style, the hollow handles just seemed too cheezy for me, even back when they were popular.

They are nice collector Items nowdays, though.. Ive seen 'em sell recently for alot more than they should IMHO..lol

Daniel Koster (knife maker) makes a WSK ( Wilderness Survival Knife) style knife that's a big larger and has a better profile than most survival knives.
they are pretty sweet.
They incorporate a forward "lean" like a Khukuri for better chopping power.
Some of the Khukuri-house online shops have a few nice versions as well.
those are not as nic fit-and-finish wise, but they are made from leaf springs and are pretty much bulletproof.

If you like the khukuri style, also check out Himalayan Imports 16" Ang Khola.
Those are 1/2 inch thick and basically unbreakable.
Can chop a 55 gallon drum in half.( they used to have a video of this on their website..lol)
If you break or bend it, they will send you two for free.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Hi all,

I'm in the market for an all round knife with as much survival "stuff" packed into it as possible. I have a letherman multitool for all the little tricky things but i lack a decent fixed blade survival knife, something thats strong and sharp but that can handle big jobs like blunt weight assisted chopping without bending or breaking. I dont trust any folding knife for the heavy stuff.

Ive seen a few good blades but the ones sponsored by the likes of bear grills make me wary of their real quality (like the ones that come with a fire starter and sharpener).

Does any one have one of these sorts of knives?

Not after anything outside say 4-8 inches and i do not want serrated blade as the leatherman's blades cover all of that and it has a saw.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

200Plus
A folder has multiple parts and that is it's major draw back. Fixed blades are much more rugged, last longer, and are easier to repair.

I agree. Many knife I used had plastic handles (they weren't even foldable!) and the blade did come off at one point. I'd favor an all-metal, one peice knife, for anything from wood carving to chopping food.

edit on 10-2-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

edit on 15-2-2014 by LadySkadi because: whoa, zombie thread

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
This is my 'survival' knife:

ESEE Knives

I love my ESEE-3. I've carried it literally every day for the last 5 years. It's survived 2 deployments. Well worth the $100 bill I spent. Again, it's only a little 3'' fixed blade and looking back I wish I had gotten the one that didn't have serrations, but I still love this knife. The sheath is made of very heavy Kydex and holds the knife very securely.

About 2 years ago the plastic belt clip broke. Prior to that it had always been very stiff and more often than not I'd have to thread the belt between the sheath and clip, rather than simply clipping it on like you would a tape measure. The bottom of the sheath snagged on some webbing on a flightline and I didn't notice until it had broke as I pulled away.

550 cord looped through the rivet holes made a belt loop rather than a clip and I haven't had to do any other repairs since.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join