It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The only solution to American troubles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
VOTE

That's right- it's that simple.

vote against EVERY office holder unless the Rare one that is doing a good job. doesn't matter who you like, what matters is who will LISTEN.

IF you don't believe YOUR vote matters then go to your local County or City office and tell someone you want to complain about something. They will want your name. A few minutes later you will meet someone to help you.

Why the short wait?

To check the voter roles and see if you vote!

No vote= no pull.

Try this, you'll see for yourself.

If every sitting politician became nervous things would change dramatically and quickly.

[edit on 16-8-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
wont work. too many dont care enough to think for themselves or will think its so hopeless they wont even bother. it is this defeated attitude that allows the true scumbags to run and ruin this country. people feel more comfortable talking whining moaning groaning bitching complaining and wringing their hands than actually doing something. or they seem to enjoy shrugging their shoulders and saying "well thats how it is".

complacency has ruined this country and after a certain point the damaged done by inaction will be irreversable.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 03:57 AM
link   
"complacency has ruined this country and after a certain point the damaged done by inaction will be irreversable."

its true!

we have all turned into lazy slobs. when we all live like kings we have no insentive to learn, accomplish, or question even the smallest of issues. thus allowing the government to overstep their boundry, modify the system to comply with their agenda and strip away our right to a voice.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Just voting does not ensure change. INFORMED voters would ensure change when needed. But as you have noticed, if you have seen "9-11 In Plane Site" trying to inform Americans is hard, especially if your information contains criticisms of government or parts thereof, because people tend to take it personally. No one likes to admit they have been duped. That�s why many crimes go unreported every year, no one likes to seen as stupid. Better (and easier) to rage against claims of fault than to pay attention and stay informed. It is also easier to lose a country, than to defend and preserve. People forget that as soldiers fight and die in far away places to protect us from the outside, the people are supposed to defend from within, with the same valor. It is so much easier to do nothing, or always side with the government, get all your opinions from FOX (or one of it's clones), than to stand up for what is right and moral. It is not important that your version may differ from mine, or others....but it is important that you personally represent yourself, not by just voting, but by informed voting.

Respects,

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
i think its more han just having informed voters, its encouraging voters to hold every politician to their word. if they promise somethign during their campaign then they should be held to that. and i dont mean by whining about it to each other like we do already, it doesnt work and if it did we wouldnt be having the problems we're having now.

of course we also have to encouage people to think for themselves, not something everyone is so willing to do. it is very easy to get sucked into the vortex of party line ideologies and view everyone else with a differeing view as "the enemy" as thats what we see from our politicians, the vey people we put there. and lets ask a question that i'd like veryone to answer. do such things work? we've been doing these things for decades now. has it gotten us anywhere? logic tells me if you keep doing somethign and it doesnt work try something different, something new.

its more than just uninformed voters or even holding politicians accountable in a serious way. we are lazy slobs, we live like kings and take everything we have for granted. rather than working for the things we expect from our government we simply think its going to be or should be handed to us on a silver platter while they say "yes suh!" or "yes'm" to us. in doing so we make victims of ourselves. being uninformed is but a part of the problem. another part is simple inaction. we can be as informed as we possibly can be but we do nothing to back up what we know and what we really want how will anything change? of course if we even made a half hearted attempt, just by trying we'd be more informed just thorugh trial by error!

i wouldnt mention just fox, all media outlets have a bias and they all feed you what they want you to know or not know. there is no exception to this rule i am aware of.

sturod i feel the government has already overstepped its boundaries in many ways, taxes being one of them. after each election we see a swelling of the government, each new president and batch of politicians come along and add to the never ending pile of BS. it becomes more and more burdensome to us the people, they hen have the gall to expect us to blame "the other side" for all the problems this country has and then has the nerve to ask us to give them our votes because of some promise to make things better, the same promise so many others said before hem and yet nothing gets done. simply put there is "US and THEM" if there is it is a us the people and tem the politicians. we the people want the same things, good education for our children, less taxes...universally accepted ideas. i cant imagine any of us saying we dont want better education or that we want to pay more in taxes. but guess what? they make us believe that! is it true? not in the least, they lay blame to someone else for their own actions or inactions and then expect us to fight each other over it. i refuse to get into a argument with anyone over such things because i know that me and that other person have common ground, soemthign those in control dotn want us to do. thats why race is constantly being brought up. what better way to keep people divided than to make them fight over something that trully is meaningless and not really worth discussing? THEY refer to certain people as this that or the other, not me. they use sex sexual orientation and race as dividers of us the people. they pit us against each other and we fall for it. why? because people like to hear things they want to hear. its a simple psychological trick, say things that reenforce that people want to hear and they'll agree with you even if its untrue. its very simple, if you make a person feel like a victim and then reenforce that idea by constantly telling them things then they will believe that A) they really are a victim even if they are not B) you care even if you dont and more often than not they dont care C) make them believe that only YOU can make things right for them and then never do it, or not so much they no longer need you and D) support you without question because you've trapped them into thinking negatively. this is also known as catering to special issue groups and politicians LOVE TO DO THAT! this is also a building up of a system that works for them and against us. i see people all the time letting emotion and feelings cloud their judgement of our government and politicians. those who would lvoe nothing more than to really help would never run for an office because they know what would happen, nothing would get done as others in the "good ole boy system" would make sure you dont get anything passed them. heavan forbid we the american people should feel free. heavan forbid we should be told things like we are in control of our own destinty than we realize. heavan forbid we be told things we need to hear. thing that ring a bell in our heads and wake us up.

bah!!! too much for now, maybe more later.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by PublicGadfly
VOTE

Why the short wait?

To check the voter roles and see if you vote!

No vote= no pull.

Try this, you'll see for yourself.

If every sitting politician became nervous things would change dramatically and quickly.

Hey folks, no joke, they can check to see if you vote. If you think this doesn't matter when you have a complaint you are in lala land.

They can't know how you vote but they can know if you do. Why should any elected official give a you know what if you don't.

THINK ABOUT IT!

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless

Hey folks, no joke, they can check to see if you vote. If you think this doesn't matter when you have a complaint you are in lala land.

They can't know how you vote but they can know if you do. Why should any elected official give a you know what if you don't.

THINK ABOUT IT!

Long time back I was "kind of" a political hack. I harrangued people and cross checked voter lists. NOT registered lists but VOTER.

-and-
On the informed voter argument- I disagree. Who decides?
Vote!
try to maintain that you're going to always vote for the new person (again- unless the existing one is truly doing a good job) and you will see an overwhelming change in not only your local politics but in your own views.

This way you NEVER vote for the "lesser of two evils," you just vote for new people

Either we serve government or it serves us.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I totally agree with what you are saying Prank Monkey. Going along with your logic, the only natural thing to do would be to dismantal all forms of athoritative institutions, including government.

for some very enlightening info check out this link
www.zmag.org...

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sp23
Going along with your logic, the only natural thing to do would be to dismantal all forms of athoritative institutions, including government.

But is this a viable alternative?

Listen elected officials will pride themselves on the fact that the majority has spoken. The truth is there are too many people who aren't even registered and even looking at the registration rolls vs. the votes cast, the majority is NOT speaking - it's often much less than half.

The system is failing because the people ignore their role in it.

PublicGadfly is making a valid point and it would make a HUGE difference if people got it. Tell them you come through for me or you are outta here. Tell them you will pull that lever (or bust that chad depending where you come from), and you would see a lot more accountablity.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Voting would make a difference... but only in theory.

If voting could alter the course of long term planning it would be illegal. Sorry to be so negative, but its a very reasonable staement.

Just look at how far in advance policy is planned, we can be looking at timespans of 10-20 years (at least). That's way out side of the standard 4 year term, and even then when we do vote someone in for 4 years he ends up doing what he wants for that time (unless there are regular referendums like in switzerland).

So don't kid your self, they cheated last time so whats going to stop 'em now, morals? Naaah!

Look at Venezuela!

A quote from a whitehouse spokesperson: "just beacuse you win a majority of the vote doesn't make your govermant legitimate."

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless
. . . a valid point and it would make a HUGE difference if people got it. Tell them you come through for me or you are outta here. Tell them you will pull that lever (or bust that chad depending where you come from), and you would see a lot more accountablity.

Those that call for Anarchy are in the wrong thread. This is political reality 101.

The "what if's" and "we should revot" stuff goes in another place.

I KNOW for a fact that voting works. I KNOW for a fact that elected public officials check the voter roles.

Want a little stroke with a public official? VOTE

Want to complain with no stroke? Go to the internet

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Vote for Kerry...(any one's better than Bush, but Kerrys still an idiot). Just pull the troops out of Iraq, let them pick their leader, and apologize.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
Just pull the troops out of Iraq, let them pick their leader, and apologize.

Oh yeah, and that will stop the madness.

I remember in my youth
dating a guy during the cold war who thought the world should be rid of nuclear weapons, but since we couldn't do that, at the very least the USA should get rid of ours. So I said, "Then you feel entirely confident that as long as we don't have them, no one will ever use them on us?"

He sat in stunned silence for a few minutes thinking about it then changed his tune forever.

Look, you sit, you're a duck. The insanity in the world isn't there because we are in Iraq. It's there cause it was there and it will continue to be there. We sat too long on too may already. WWII comes to mind, more recently Bosnia, etc.., there are some we are still sitting out on......

No, it's not our job to police the world, but on this one, this was not gonna stay "over there" (hello - 9/11?) if we stayed out or not.

P.S. If the people who want to "pick their leader" could do it without help Saddam would have been gone a long time ago. The average man on the street who is not a fundamentalist wacko is not asking for an apology.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
*sigh* You need to elaborate more you should have said Vote followed by Bush is the soulotion to America's problems...

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by A Lone Spartan
*sigh* You need to elaborate more you should have said Vote followed by Bush is the soulotion to America's problems...

Like Reagan (another Republican
) said so well-

"IF you are better off than you were four years ago stay with the same man.

IF you are not then it's time for a change."

Is this enough "elaboration?"

It isn't just the President it is EVERY politician up for election. ALL are important.

[edit on 19/8/2004 by PublicGadfly]

top topics

join