It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introversion/Extroversion In twins Paternal and Identical

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Right so being a Twin myself I've often looked at the ways In which we respond to certain Stimuli In my teen years my brother was often the 'popular' persons and an extreme extrovert and me being the Introvert I often watched his behaviour around people and he would willing take note and just Basque in their glory so to speak he would revel in the fact he's the it guy now before someone makes a post someone's jealous me and my brother have a very close relationship and often ask if anything is wrong but being the introvert of the family I was always classed as strange or weird whatever really but I been looking into the whole Introvert/Extrovert in twins haven't found much and I was wondering if someone could look into it for me as well an extra set of eyes on the subject I would like to know why I'm Introverted and my brother being Extroverted we are paternal twins why did I introvert when I had just as much attention as my brother.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wideawake385

Being introverted is certainly a challenge, I am myself. It is tough at times, especially when society expects everyone to be extroverted. I cannot answer your question but I can give you a resource that I have used. Although the first thing you might want to figure out is what type you are, then pieces of the puzzle may start falling into place. I am an INTP.

Check out the forum Personality Cafe

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I'm a strong introvert have been for a long time my friend but thanks for the site I shall look into it but as for type i have no idea just that I need the alone time most introverts do for that recollection.
edit on 22-7-2011 by Wideawake385 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I usually test at 100% introverted.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Introversion is better than extroversion there's more peace in it than the extroversions but then again I would say that anyways

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

My biggest struggle is people not understanding how I can go days and weeks without talking or socializing with another person. Then the times people think there is something wrong and feel the need to ask me what is wrong, annoying as hell.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Same trouble here really strikes a nerve like one day I rarely go out I'll often walk away from the group of people I'm with just for a few minutes to recouporate and I'll get one of them walk over to me and ask has something happened are you ok and then when I go to explain why they just walk of well except my best mate he knows the do's and don'ts

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Introverts understand extroverts, but extroverts do not understand introverts.

Extroverts do not understand that being around other people is what energizes and charges them and being alone drains them. Quite the opposite with introverts, other people drain their energy while being alone recharges them. Extroverts are easy to spot, they are the ones that always have to be socializing with someone else while introverts are the ones sitting off by their self watching others and being quiet taking it all in.
edit on 22-7-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Precisely there's like 2 introverts in my small group of friends me being one of them and then the other 3 are extroverts so there is often small arguments about the 2 of us don't enjoy ourselves when were out same with my brother if I go out with him and his friends one day they will all point fingers my brother has a little grasp on the introversion/extroversion and does explain roughly but they still don't know I'm an introvert stuck in an extroverts world to quote the book.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I found this on the site that I referred you to earlier. I just copied and pasted. It says rules, but I do not like rules in this case. I think it would be more of an insight more than anything, mainly for INTP but it could apply to other introverts, for me, this rings true for the most part.

Rules to adhere to when with us:
1) Respect our competence. But remember, we need empathy, not worship or excessive admiration, so don't idealize us, because you have to ...

2) ... accept that no matter how smart you think you think we are, we don't have all the answers and therefore need help in things that strike as common sense to you (socializing, expressing our emotions), but don't pressure us, or worse, patronize us. Because once you become patronizing, its goodbye.

Corollary to (2): If you have a well thought-out counterargument to our thoughts, don't be afraid to present it. As mentioned, we make mistakes too, and we don't take challenges personally; it's just another part of the process in reaching The Truth.

second corollary to number (2) Do not be offended when we present a counter argument to something you've said. It's not that we think you're incompetent, it's just we want to reach The Truth.

3) Don't try to lead us or expect us to lead you. We scoff at such things. Instead we want equals.

4) When you don't know something, first research, THEN ask. Nothing annoys us more than people who are too intellectually lazy to try obtain information that is easily available.

5) Respect our personal space.

6) If you're a man, stop trying to be macho and if you're a woman, stop playing dumb. We're not impressed by such behavior. Instead think out of the box and act in ways that defy what have been taught to you as a man or a woman.

7) Be creative.

8) Be idealistic. Stop accepting the world as it is now and saying it is the truth. It isn't. Much of life is a social construction, based on systems of power that oppress one group or another. Things can always be more efficient and more just. Contribute your ideas on how to achieve this.

9) Politics and tradition? Rule that out of your dictionary.

10) Stop saying we are cold, or heartless. Its not we don't have emotions, its just that we put them aside in our quest to be impartial. And through this so-called impartiality, we INTPs - the healthy ones anyway - want to make the world into a better place. Our kindness is not rooted in sentimentality, but elaborate and carefully thought-out designs.

Corollary to (10): Don't expect appeals to our emotion to work.

Second corollary to number (10) And don't expect us to assemble a persuasive argument based on emotion.

11) Stop using excessive exclamation marks - except when REALLY necessary - and start reading. You ask how come we are so smart? We aren't smart. We're just very intellectually motivated.

12) Be clear and concise in your speech. Verbal accuracy and precision isn't semantic, it's necessary. Also, repetition is generally more nuisance than articulation.

13) Respect our eccentricity, as well as those of others. It's a good thing that we have our quirks, and it's most likely a point of quiet pride for a number of INTPs.

14) Be ready to think of more than just a narrow range of topics. INTP interests literally span the universe. In fact, each individual INTP's interests most likely literally span the universe. We aren't interested in just a handful of things, we want to understand the UNIVERSE.

15) Understand that our humor is a little unconventional. Some (?) of us have slightly "twisted" humor, and we love sarcasm.

corollary to number (15) And it's not that we don't love your joke it's just that we're laughing on the inside.

16) Stating the obvious is not appreciated.

17) Don't take us too personally. Chances are, even when we are being critical, we aren't actually trying to offend you so much as point out some sort of flaw in your logic or thinking patterns and giving you the opportunity to correct it. We'll only move on to treating you like an idiot when you have clearly proven that you deserve to be treated as such.

18) For the love g-d, please try to think quickly. INTPs love to make intuitive leaps - leap with us! There's nothing more fun than take a current topic and relate it to the past, postulate about its future (realistic or absurd), make joking references to it by virtue of pop culture references or random word play, linking it to personal experiences (one's own or others') and established theories, etc etc. Or make YOUR OWN theories ;p

19) A blank face doesn't imply depression. We smile when there's something to smile about, so don't lecture about how we'll live longer if we smile more.

20) Thinking with logic is always appreciated and it doesn't take much effort. If you think we are amazingly gifted for solving problems it isn't because we are unusually smart, it's only because we think.

21) We don't believe in dogmas or that "things are the way they are because that's how they are, so accept it". We don't accept things, if you want us to accept or understand something, then explain it.

22) Silence doesn't mean I'm bored, not interested or not paying attention to what you are saying. Silence means we are actually interested, in deep thought and analysing what you are saying.

23) No, we don't seek knowledge to manipulate people or rule the world; we are not megalomaniacs. We seek knowledge because we are naturally curious and want to understand everything.

24)Sometimes isolation and relaxing in silence while reading a book or just watching the nature and analise the beauty, the perfection of it all and how it works, is one of our favorite ways to have fun and it doesn't mean we are bored or that we don't like you. So don't disturb us thinking you are doing us a favor: it is actually annoying

25) We value accuracy and precision -- please, when talking to us, try to make sure whatever you are stating is factually and/or grammatically correct. We will try to correct you if whatever you are stating is not as accurate as it could be. And please understand, we are not trying to offend you or trying to be pricks -- we just want to stop people from being misconstrued. Also, punctuation is not just for English majors. Please keep that in mind.

26) As smart and as intellectualy motivated as we may be, we still make mistakes. Contrary to general opinion, being corrected while we are wrong is always appreciated, so don't be scared of pointing out our mistakes: we'll actually thank you.

27) Encourage us. We tend to hold ourselves to extremely high personal standards, whether or not we let the rest of the world in on them, and it helps to have other people recognize what we are striving for. Though, do keep in mind that if you are encouraging just for the sake of encouragement and not because we are actually succeeding, we'll recognize it and hear it as empty.

28) Don't think we're lazy and unmotivated just because your motivation speeches didn't get us moving with the rest of the crowd. INTPs choose their passions carefully, and the words of the most on-fire speaker will go under intense scrutiny before we decide whether or not to take their side. That said, should we decide to take up said cause, idea, or job, we will do so both realistically and very thoroughly.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Thanks For all this it's much appreciated.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wideawake385
Right so being a Twin myself I've often looked at the ways In which we respond to certain Stimuli In my teen years my brother was often the 'popular' persons and an extreme extrovert and me being the Introvert I often watched his behaviour around people and he would willing take note and just Basque in their glory so to speak he would revel in the fact he's the it guy now before someone makes a post someone's jealous me and my brother have a very close relationship and often ask if anything is wrong but being the introvert of the family I was always classed as strange or weird whatever really but I been looking into the whole Introvert/Extrovert in twins haven't found much and I was wondering if someone could look into it for me as well an extra set of eyes on the subject I would like to know why I'm Introverted and my brother being Extroverted we are paternal twins why did I introvert when I had just as much attention as my brother.

I'm a identical twin and my sister and I are like night and day. We are both pretty outgoing but our personalities are nothing a like. We are not that close like some twins are and that isn't unusual it's just normal. We may be twins but we are different in our thought and action. She is my sister but she literally drives me crazy so I can only be around her for so long. I am not a fan of negative judgemental people I don't care if you are family or not. I wont surround myself around it. She knows this too but it's who she is. I love her anyway but i don't have to be subject to it all the time.

You may have come from the same womb but you are still two different people. You adapt to different things growing up. I know twins who are inseparable and I know twins who don't speak to each other. I know twins who are like their sibling in many ways just as you will have two sisters in a family that can be a like but years apart in age. It doesn't mean that because you are a twin you will be just like your double.
My sister and I grew up together and had to share a room our entire lives and we have always been opposite in our actions and likes. Im all about aliens and conspiracies and space, my sister not so much. I got her to join ATS even. The only thing we have in common in that area is she likes the Moon and is interested in astrology and magicks.

My sister and I look a like and we have a few commonalities but those have to do with up bringing. Example we both LOVE to cook but we cook completely different regions of food. She has short boy hair as I call it and mine is long and wavy. She likes to be super tan, I do not.

Having someone walking around that looks like you is a bit creepy when you think about it. I have had people insist they knew me and think I was lying to get out of something by saying I was a twin. I have walked into places she has worked and people whisper, that is very uncomfortable. It is even worse when I go eat in her section and people start talking and then they want to compare your looks. Im 32 people not 6! That gets old very quick and we both squash that as soon as it is mentioned.

I always wondered why I was born a twin. I always felt special in a sense, not egotystical, because I was a twin. I was lucky to always have someone while growing up so I never got bored and I always had someone to talk to but I would have love to have had a little sister or a big sister.

For me growing up as a twin it was hard at times because my mom wanted to keep us dressed a like and people always assumed we WERE the same person. We always made our own friends but the parents always felt like we came as a pair when it came to bday parties and sleepovers. Being constantly compared to someone your entire life just because you look like them is a bit much. Im an adult and people still do this.

Ok sorry for going on lol

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Holy crud thanks for the GIANT post it was very very informative I too am like that with alot of people I meet they often confuse me with my brother and it really irritates me we aren't even Identical but this has explained alot my friend and it is most respected the time you took to write this KUDOS to you big time!

new topics

top topics

join