It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mugged at the Cash Registar... Staggering UK Price rises

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I don't know about you guys but I am getting increasingly worried by price rises in everything.

Wages are fixed but everything, even foodstuff is going through the roof, and not staying in line with wages.

I can barely afford to use the car with petrol at £1.37 a litre, a staggering rise of 50p in the last two years.

I went to my local newsagent earlier and spent £10 on two items that just two years ago would have cost half that. I felt like I had been mugged!

It is very worrying indeed

What the hell is going to happen when the eurozone eventually collapses?

I can foresee a lot of trouble in the next few years if things carry on at present rates. A lot of social unrest.

Worrying times indeed!
edit on 21-7-2011 by CrankyPantsUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
My God tell me about it!!

Most jobs are just offering minimun wage, and your lucky to get 35 hours out of them. Plus as im under 21 my minimun wage is under £5, beacause the governments logic is if your younger you dont need as much money...how stupid, Im work the same as everyone else!

So even trying my best Im unable to earn more than £140 a week...oh yea take tax off that.

And perscription costs.

Im currently living with my mom because renting my own place would cost me at LEAST £120 a week. and that leaves me a few quid to pay gas, electric, food, travel, clothes, phone bills etc..

Let alone me paying for my driving tests, a car and insurence.

Let alone me having spare cash to go out and have a drink.

I cant even afford fags any more, I've had to convert to tobbacco. In 4 years the price has rose about 70 %.

Because the effects of ciggaretes strain the NHS supposedly. How about they tax all them fat *SNIP* who strain the NHS by binging on take away food.

I even had to drop out of college because I couldnt afford to get there everyday, I cant work AND go full time college AND I cant claim benefits whilst in college.

at this rate the next generation will be living with their parents untill they inherit the god damn house.

Man this life sucks.

Not to mention last winter we had to feed the gas meter £10 every 2 days :/
edit on 21-7-2011 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Skyfloating because: Censor Circumvention Removed

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It is worrying. I keep thinking about the potential of another financial crash, with a combination of euro and Dollar crashes. Both would cripple this nation and we would be in a depression for the foreseeable future. THings are going to get desperate out there. I dont think 99% of the country really understads what is about to be unleashed. Massive changes to living standards for the majority.

There will be social unrest, it's been brewing now for a while, I predict race riots in our major cities and more anti austerity protests.

Lets just hope people can keep their heads and maintain some of that stoic British attitude that has seen us through crisis in the past.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
You know its bad when you see cigarettes are around £8 for a packet of regal king size and just 10 years ago when i started they only costed around £4.50

Crisps are the same, used to be able to buy a packet of monster munch for 40p lucky now if you find them under 78p a packet.

Chocolate also, used to buy a kinder beurno for aound 54p now they are about 84p each.

Just cant afford to have the munchies anymore each trip to the garage costs just under a £10'er for little or nothing, i.e. 1 bottle of juce, 1 lottery ticket, 1 packet of crisps a bar of choc and 20 cigarettes would leave you hard pressed to recieve change. Thats even before you try and fill the tank up.

At least the black market prices have stayed the same if not cheaper, I can get as most people cheap cigarettes and the all important herb has stayed the same price and gotten better in the last few years.
edit on 21-7-2011 by michaelmcclen because: grammar

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Sinny

And British Gas have announced a further 17% increase in bills with other suppliers sure to follow suit!

Im with ya.

We are being priced out of living it seems, and our kids, young people like yourself being priced out of education and taken for a ride in the job market!

Something has to change very soon.

Its as if the elites have us around our throats using economics to keep the average person in slavery.

Majorly sucks!

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CrankyPantsUK

QFT, its only a matter of time before the sheep wake up and notice that far to little people are making all the money, its not even as if they make it, they just accumilate it over time from our backs and speaking of backs there will be a backlash and its gonna sting.

Im a little more fortunate in that Im at uni and the government is paying for it all including giving me a living allowence (DLA) but that does not mean I dont appreciate it. I have to many friends struggling to put them selves through uni and the only reason I got a step up is because my body took a # # on me when I was 19.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
It is worrying. I keep thinking about the potential of another financial crash, with a combination of euro and Dollar crashes. Both would cripple this nation and we would be in a depression for the foreseeable future. THings are going to get desperate out there. I dont think 99% of the country really understads what is about to be unleashed. Massive changes to living standards for the majority.

There will be social unrest, it's been brewing now for a while, I predict race riots in our major cities and more anti austerity protests.

Lets just hope people can keep their heads and maintain some of that stoic British attitude that has seen us through crisis in the past.

To be blunt, that stoic Brit has had enough.

Rampant immigration being the scapegoat for the lack of jobs will be the catalyst for tensions I think.

However its employers greed, using cheap foriegn labour that is the real cause.

Houses are being repossesed in their hundreds, people no longer have desposable income, barely keeping heads above water, people like myself are starting to panic, and we have a government sending billions abroad whilst people here are suffering.

Something will give soon

And it will not be pretty!
edit on 21-7-2011 by CrankyPantsUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well I don't smoke or drink alcohol so I save alot of money compared to alot of people anyway. It's still possible to live on a budget if you're willing, though it often means going out of your way to save money.

People need to start focusing on the nescessities. Quitting smoking or avoiding alcohol (at least avoiding the pub for a drink or only drinking on special occasions) really can save alot of money.

For example: Assuming a person smokes 10 cigarettes a day, giving up can save them around £80 a month. That may well be enough money saved to not only deal with a rise in electricity prices but can also take the pressure off of paying bills and allow a little bit of extra spending money. (for example £80 is a decent amount of fuel if you have a smaller car)
edit on 21-7-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

You know its cheaper to pay monthly then pay as you go with gas. maybe you should check out options.

We used to do that untill we found out it would be a hell of alot cheaper not to.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3

You know its cheaper to pay monthly then pay as you go with gas. maybe you should check out options.

We used to do that untill we found out it would be a hell of alot cheaper not to.

I do that too, what some people who use payment meters don't realise is that you are also charged for the use of the payment meter too.

It still is a worry though when you consider that there is a 17% increase on the way to top everything else meter or not..

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
It is quite shocking, and it's only about to get worse with this sudden rise in electricity prices. Just trying to put a bit away every month for a rainy day, because I'm sure as hell going to need it.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CrankyPantsUK

True
I've already taken a cut in wages and trying to move jobs.
The jobs I am looking for (in relatively good positions) are trying to pay, in some cases as little as half of what the should be! Rediculous!

Petrol here is €1.52 a litre!!! Gone are the days where you could put a tenner in the car and drive for the week!

How can we really protect ourselves from the seemingly inevitable crash? Do we take whatever savings we have out of the banks (forcing them in to a worse situation) and hiding it under our mattresses or do we just sit tight and hope for the best?

Its a difficult situation to gauge I must admit

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

British Gas have recently stated that this coming winter, their Gas and Electricity prices are going up by 20%....!!! The rest of the UK energy suppliers are following suit.

I totally agree with the comments raised in this thread, infact only today I was having this exact discussion with a relative, we calculated that food prices have risen approximately 100%, compaired to 2007/2008 prices.

Example, in Tesco a Cucumber used to sell for £0.37 pence, now it sells for at least £0.80 pence, over 100% increase in just 3 years.

Petrol/Diesel prices are outrageous, here in the UK Petrol is sold by the litre. One gallon equals 4.456 litres.

Petrol in 2007/2008 has risen from £0.87 pence per litre to £1.37, that the equilivent of paying an astonishing £6.23 a gallon or in US dollars $10.15 a gallon..!!

What has always amazed me is that most oil comes from the middle east, has to come past Europe on it's way to the US but our prices are one of the most expensive Worldwide.

Is it any wonder we are all skint (out of money) here in the UK??

Regards
edit on 21-7-2011 by Surreptitious because: Spelling mistake.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by soundofathousandbirds

I dont think anyone knows what to do for sure, it certainly is starting to get a little desparate.

Has anyone else noticed the push for people to buy gold on tv?

Three times this week on the local news there has been various news items encouraging people to buy gold..

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Regarding the gas paymants, Im currently trying to get my mom to set it up to monthly...she doesnt know alot about direct debit bless her lol.

Plus, I've made all the cut backs I can...and smoking aint going to be one of them...its the only thing that keeps me sane lol...

Infact I just finished watching a programme on ITV 1 called "The rising cost of food".

In the last 4 years...

Mince meat gone up 31 %
Lamp Chops 60 %
Sausage 20 %
Pasta 111 %
beans 38 %

I forgot the rest...but theres some examples

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Double post

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Surreptitious

Yeah and now we all have to work until we are 70!

I doubt by the time we reach that age that this country will be the same.

Probably a third world country

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

at this rate the next generation will be living with their parents untill they inherit the god damn house.

Actually, the government will probably take a majority of the equity through inheritance tax, leaving the kids homeless.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Your right in what you state though unfortuently, council house's are often fitted with "meters" and you are expected to pay out of your own money for a system that allowes you to pay monthly - We were lucky enough to afford this and yet we can barely afford the gas. This year were thinking of investing in some HUUGGEE blankets - Proper ones, less we use the gas, less money in greedy suppliers pockets.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
My usual weekly food shop has went up £20 in the last year at least, not including fuel or tobacco increases. School dinner prices, for my area, are also increasing next term. Parking permit for my vehicle obtained from my local council, increased by 50% in a single year. The car I have worked hard for is fast becoming a luxury.

I work full-time for the NHS live with my 5 yr old son. I pay childcare in order for me to do this. Only to find out, a colleague who works part-time, get governments supplements to increase their income to the same as mine. What's the point?

I feel despondent, disillusioned and generally fed up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join