It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge deficit-cutting bill sails through GOP House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) — Defying a veto threat, the Republican-controlled House voted Tuesday night to slice federal spending by $6 trillion and require a constitutional balanced budget amendment to be sent to the states in exchange for averting a threatened Aug. 2 government default. The 234-190 vote marked the power of deeply conservative first-term Republicans, and it stood in contrast to calls at the White House and in the Senate for a late stab at bipartisanship to solve the nation's looming debt crisis. President Barack Obama and a startling number of Republican senators lauded a deficit-reduction plan put forward earlier in the day by a bipartisan "Gang of Six" lawmakers that calls for $1 trillion in what sponsors delicately called "additional revenue" and some critics swiftly labeled as higher taxes. The president said he hoped congressional leaders would "start talking turkey" on a deal to reduce deficits and raise the $14.3 trillion debt limit as soon as Wednesday, using that plan as a roadmap.

Source

Of course.. Why would Obama want to cut spending? He wants to raise the debt limit so they can spend more.... Personally the verdict is still out on whether the 6 trillion in cuts is a good thing (depending on what they are cutting) however it doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. We could sure use some spending cuts..
edit on 19-7-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I say we go for the biggest cuts we can, and take 500 billion of what ever we save and put it towards "revenue"

or better yet, instead of the 500 billion lets GTFO of Libya, recoup some of that money, and ensure that its used to pay the bills come august 3rd if certain things cant be paid

but of course Obama, and a lot of others already know that even if the debt ceiling isn't raised, revenue intake the rest of the year will be in the billions regardless. so maybe they shouldn't even ask for money at all
edit on 19-7-2011 by Kingbreaker because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2011 by Kingbreaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingbreaker

Well that's the thing. This is something that should have been passed ages ago as soon as this whole thing began. Yet we are still fighting wars on multiple fronts and moving forward with what is now the Obama war machine.

I know this bill will get vetoed.. Obama already said he is going to abuse his Veto powers as a threat to insure legislation to raise the cap.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I'm thankful Obama has the power to veto this bill. it's nothing but political theater; a show put on by House Republicans to kiss some tea party ass. what a huge waste of time it was. the Republican members of the House should be ashamed of themselves. I've never seen so many sniveling cowards amassed in one place. what happened to the jobs? I realize criminalizing abortion, blasting the gay lifestyle, the "OMG sharia law ~ it's here" syndrome as well as screwing Obama at every turn are the main reasons the Republicans have taken up residence in DC but maybe someday they can drop the charade and get around to focusing on jobs. maybe? hey, a guy can hope can't he............... yo GOP - WTF?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I like how Obama calls Medicare and Social Security Entitlements. My understanding was that Social Security and Medicare are contributory plans.

Welfare, food stamps, ect are entitlements. That is what we need to cut by 50%. No more junk food for the lazy!

edit on 20-7-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
While we're at it, how about we tax corporate political campaign contributions at 90%. That would for sure let us know what the American people want, and would raise revenue. Then we could work out some longterm solutions to entitlement programs.

Oh and btw recieving food stamps does not imply that one or their family is lazy. Although pointing the finger at them as being lazy is being lazy. Way more money is spent on way more wasteful programs.

edit to add my opinion on food stamps
edit on 20-7-2011 by badmatty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I love the Obama bashing!

Where was this when the republicans were running up the debt before Obama?

Two sides...same coin.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LooksLikeWeMadeIt

screwing Obama at every turn are the main reasons the Republicans have taken up residence in DC but maybe someday they can drop the charade and get around to focusing on jobs. maybe? hey, a guy can hope can't he............... yo GOP - WTF?

I hate to bring bad news, but -extremists- can't be hoped to ever be reasoned with. They are -Our- radical Ayatollahs and Mullahs.

new topics

top topics

join