It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you currently reading?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
A book that I just finished was Rage by Jonathan Kellerman.
The next book I'll be starting soon is The Torment Of Others by Val McDermid.

-tts

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I am currently reading 'The Others' by James Herbert a ereally good book btw

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Like so many of the other ATS members, I've noticed that I am not alone when I say that I read a lot. I frequently find myself reading several different books simultaneously. Some of the material that I read is light-hearted as well as "light" reading and certainly not worth noting.

I also read science fiction. I am currently reading Atlantis by Kim Stanley Robinson. In fact, I am on a real K.S. Robinson kick and I intend to re-read his Hugo Award Mars trilogy again after I finish reading Atlantis.

On a more serious vein, I am reading (and re-reading) the works of Umberto Eco. I find his prose simply spectacular. I have found few other authors who can, so totally, transport me to another realm or to suspend my sense of disbelief with such completeness. It took me a while to grasp the depth of this author but, once having done so, his work has led me to read and study the references of history, art, literature, religion, geography and poetry that bind together his work. All I can say is that this is an amazing and personable man, scholar and author.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Journey to the West vol.#4
by Wu Cheng En
translated by Anthony C. Yu

and

A Brief History of Time
by Stephen Hawking

CX

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
A few on the go at the moment.....

Them by Jon Ronston.

The Celestine Prophecies (need to get that finished so i can move onto the Tenth Insight that is waiting in the wings).

The Stargate Conspiracy by Linda Picknett.

Zahir by Paulo Coelho

Lastly, for total escapism and lunacy, "The Pirate's....in an Adventure with Scientists" by Gideon Defoe. Just finished "The Pirate's in an Adventure with Whaling" and they are a great laugh.

CX.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Thomas Paine 'Common Sense'.

First book of it's kind that I've read.

posted on Jul, 27 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Better than Sex by Hunter S Thompson

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Just finished "Thermopylae - The Battle For The West" by Ernle Bradford

An excellent book and a must have for anyone interested in ancient European and Middle Eastern history. One of the main advantages with Bradford's book is that he has a far less "Eurocentric" view of the conflict (although he clearly has a romanticised view of the Greeks, he keeps it in check). Also has some fascinating insights into the culture of the awesome Achaemenids!

Just started "Conspiracy Culture - From Kennedy to the X-Files" by Peter Knight

About 60 pages into it, really good book has already discussed the myriad oppinions of post-60's intellectuals and academics on the concept of paranoia. And has a good primer covering the novels of Thomas Pynchon! So far, a cracking read!

[edit on 28-7-2006 by DenyAllKnowledge]

posted on Jul, 28 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Just finished "Lucifer's Hammer", Larry Niven
Half way finished "Swan Song". Robert McCammon
Next I am thinking about picking up "More than Just Hardcore", Terry Funk (yeah I know, but I'm a sucker for the Funker )

AJ

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Fiction: I just finished reading The Grays by Whitley Strieber and am thinking about re-reading it.

Non-fiction: Wake-up call; the political education of a 9/11 widow, by Kristen Breitweiser. (She was recently interviewed on the Larry King Live tv show also.) While not "telling all" about what went on during all those "behind the scenes" meetings in Washington D.C. with the politicians who influenced the creation of the 9/11 Commission, it does include a lot of nitty-gritty about how the 9/11 families experienced the process of lobbying Congress and the White House to form and empower a 9/11 Commission.

The other non-fiction book I just finished was The Looming Tower -- Al Quaeda and the road to 9/11, by Lawrence Wright. Wow, this author interviewed authoritative sources on this subject, including many first-person accounts from people I never even heard of before. This book connects the dots about the events of 9/11 in a way that the "official" 9/11 report couldn't even get close to, thanks to 9/11 Commission executive director Philip Zelikow running interference for the White House et. al. continuously. This book is deservedly high on the New York Times bestseller list, so right now you can buy it at a considerable discount at many bookstores.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Been working my way through Reformation and American religious history for awhile, so I haven't had time for much purely pleasure reading lately...I think the last non-fiction I had time to enjoy was a re-read of Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising.

I just recently finished Murdering McKinley by Rauchway, Redeemer Nation by Tuveson, and Fundamentalism and American Culture by Marsden.

Currently working my way through The Religious History of America by Gaustad as well as re-reading The Democratization of American Christianity by Hatch and The Creationists by Numbers. Soon to be followed byMillennial Fever and the End of the World by Knight. The one I really want to get into (I have a copy but have only been able to skim it so far) is The War for Righteousness: Progressive Christianity, the Great War, and the Rise of the Messianic Nation by Gamble.

I actually do very much enjoy other lighter (and not-so-lighter) reading but just don't have the time right now. Some other stuff I have recently enjoyed are Down and Out in Paris and London by Orwell, I Should Have Stayed Home and I Should Have Gone Home both compilations of funny travel stories, as well as Old Glory by Raban.

OK...I'll shut-up now...

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I just finished The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. Considered by many to be one of Americas finest living writers, he tries his hand at what I guess has to be described as science fiction. It is the story of a father and son making there way through a charred and desolate landscape. I suspect they are in the midst of a nuclear winter, though how the world they're traveling through has been destroyed the reader is never specifically told.

The father and son in this sparse book keep each other alive not only physically but emotionally, when there seems no reason to go on other than to travel more deeply into hell. It was fantastic. One of those lean books that can be quickly read, but packs a wallop.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I am currently reading two books:

1. Killer Takes All by Erica Spindler.

...and...

2. Conpiracies And Cover-Ups by David Alexander

-tts

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I just finished reading "Sex, Blood and Rock 'N' Roll" by Kimberly Warner-Cohen.
This book is awesome!
Especially if you like bondage and/or serial killers.
It's VERY erotic (I actually don't know which parts I liked the best, the graphic sex or the graphic violence.)
It's about a small-town girl who moves to NYC and finds her calling as a dominatrix, and eventually, a serial killer.
It's very well written, very in the vein of American Psycho.
The author, she is outstanding!
Very, very tallented.
I guarantee that this book is destined to become a cult classic.
I can totally see this book turning into a movie.
Freakin' hot!
Go forth and buy this book!
NOW!!!

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
"A Tribe Apart" by Patricia Hersch. Its for one of my classes and is really kind of boring. Its just about high school kids and their experiences with delinquent behavior and what drove them to it. Basically, its every high school kids biography, I could probably write the paper that follows based on my own experiences.

CX

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Just started "Gaviotas - A Village To Reinvent The World".

Really looking forward to this one.

CX.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
No, no.
You people don't get it yet.
Go out, yes, right now.
Go to your local book store and demand (because there's no time for pleasantries) a copy of Sex, Blood and Rock'N'Roll.
If they look at you blankly, yell, scream and throw a fit.
If they decide to call security on you,...well, you just might want to leave.
But it's okay, just go to amazon and order this book.
www.amazon.com...=pd_ybh_a_2/103-1540428-3596630
Look, I'm not making a single penny off of this, but you people need to go buy this book.
Yes, it is that damn good.
If you've ever read American Psycho, you'll love this book (except it's a woman instead of a man, you fems out there can definitely appreciate this).
Go forth and buy this!
NOW!

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 03:00 AM
link   
It's been a long time since I picked up a book by Stephen King. Last week, however, I was at the cottage doing some work. I don't have any television, internet out there so I stopped at a small country store to pick up some light reading matter. You know, something to read in the evening when it's too dark to do work outside and to fill the hours.

I picked by Cell by Stephen King. All that I can say is that King sure hasn't lost his touch. While it's not his best book (The Stand has my vote for that particular honor) it certainly is entertaining. The premise caught my attention right away thanks to the recent "zombie threads" here on BTS. If you like zombies, well, this one is probably right up your alley.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
What I am currently reading is:

The Broker by John Grisham

Link
In his final hours in the Oval Office, the outgoing President grants a controversial last-minute pardon to Joel Backman, a notorious Washington power broker who has spent the last six years hidden away in a federal prison. What no one knows is that the President issues the pardon only after receiving enormous pressure from the CIA. It seems Backman, in his power broker heyday, may have obtained secrets that compromise the world's most sophisticated satellite surveillance system.

Backman is quietly smuggled out of the country in a military cargo plane, given a new name, a new identity, and a new home in Italy. Eventually, after he has settled into his new life, the CIA will leak his whereabouts to the Israelis, the Russians, the Chinese, and the Saudis. Then the CIA will do what it does best: sit back and watch. The question is not whether Backman will survive—there is no chance of that. The question the CIA needs answered is, who will kill him?

-tts

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I am currently reading how the government used trickery to make Canadians and Americans slaves to the banking cartel.
they are very slick, UCC redemption, basically they use you to issue money.
ask why your name is in all capital letters, and income tax in Canada was a "temporary" thing to get back on track ofter WW1 in Canada at least.
I'm digging and digging its very confusing .

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join