It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Symbolism and its Uses

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
St Peter's Cross is an inverted cross often associated with Satanism. According to popular belief, the cross is a symbol of inverted grace, or falling away from Christ's grace. However the origins of this little known Christagram is that it represents the legend that states St Peter was crucified upside down, as he felt he was unworthy to be crucified in the same manner that Christ died (upright). It is often used with two keys, symbolizing the keys of heaven.

An Alexandrian scholar Origen is the first to report that St. Peter 'was crucified head downward, for he had asked that he might suffer in this way'. This is also the little known Catholic tradition of Peter's death. Some Catholics this cross as a symbol of humility and unworthiness in comparison to Christ.

During the late Pope John Paul II's visit to Israel, a picture of him with a backdrop of St Peter's cross was widely circulated on the Internet and this has propagated the belief of the Catholic Church's association with Satanism.

The true meaning of the Inverted Cross is that by wearing it you show that
A) You submit to Jesus
B) You show you are unworthy to die like Jesus (Martyr)
C) You display you are humble by wearing it.

The Cross of St. Peter was placed on thousands of objects from the Throne in Israel, to objects in the Vatican itself. The symbol being one of "Satanic" meaning is just a joke. One that shows the ignorance of the so called "Alternative" Youth who wear it as such.

This is why the Pope sits on this Throne. Ol' John Paul did not worship Satan, nor do the Catholic Church. It is also why I wear an Inverted Cross at all times to display the fact I am not "worthy" of dying a martry.

[edit on 30-5-2005 by Odium]

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

Originally posted by ThePunisher
...jeeeeeeez, how long have you been masons and you dont even know any of the basics yet.

How could a non-mason even proclaim to know the "basics" over an actual mason?

As for the 13 as an occult symbol is not correct. I would encourage you to look here:
urbanlegends.about.com...

Quite possibly (once again) it leads back to Christianity and the 13 Apostles, Judas being the 13th.

To say the it is unlucky due to occult is at best...a grand fable for children.

Thanks for the Interesting link.. Might be interesting to look more into that. Makes me wonder if peoples superstition of a number might bring events into materialization.. Like what you focus on is more likely to happen. Like if someone was driving a car on Friday the 13 if they were consciously or subconsciously afraid of crashing it would cause them to be more likely for crash. Suppression I think is the root cause of maybe more problems then people realize.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
St Peter's Cross is an inverted cross often associated with Satanism. According to popular belief, the cross is a symbol of inverted grace, or falling away from Christ's grace. However the origins of this little known Christagram is that it represents the legend that states St Peter was crucified upside down, as he felt he was unworthy to be crucified in the same manner that Christ died (upright). It is often used with two keys, symbolizing the keys of heaven.

I’m not religious at all and don’t’ care for Jesus talk so much any more then Satan talk, but I will have to say when I see the cross in religious settings I have always seem it upright, and when I see the American flag I think it would be upright, an dif it was upside down hanging on your house I’m sure many Americans would frown upon you… just sees logical to me that the cross upside down would be similar……. I think most people are accustomed to seeing it upright so people are going to question it when they see it upside down.. Seems natural to me as the only time I have seen the cross upside down is by heavy metal rock bands or in association with Satan web sites etc

(mod edit to reduce large quote)

[edit on 4-3-2006 by pantha]

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
After discussions here about the use of the pentagram as a evil symbol because of it orientation, I decided to do more research into the use of symbolism in general. After all...I have read here on ATS regarding the pentagram:
"IT IS WORLDWIDE A PERVERTION OF A GOOD SYMBOL!"

Now, why is this here in this forum? Many secret societies use symbolism and I feel it is definitely related.
Why are their no links? Because I did the research from various sources and wrote this myself.

I think you make some very good points, and we should be very careful about how we judge, but as people we need to made good judgments to make good decisions… I think that we just got to be careful about cementing our judgments or being to ridged about our judgments and when making judgments about a person we should NOT judge them as a WHOLE, because we ALL have our faults, and NONE of us are saints.

As far as symbolism goes though if you look around you will notice different groups of people standing behind certain symbolism that hold certain associations…… and really I think the meaning f the symbol will be it’s general interpretation, and yes as you pointed out meanings shift, but a strait guy would not describe himself as gay these days even though it’s original meaning meant happy, and as much as one might enjoy the beauty of the rainbow one wouldn’t out a rainbow bumper sticker on their car unless they wanted to uphold the general accusations that it has…

I think symbol can depend on it’s context too… like below police are looking for certain street gangs who wear the pentagram and mistake Wicca members LOL ….. But as far as certain organizations I don’t think they should stand behind a symbol that has lots of negative associations with it unless they want that negativity that comes with it…

For example if I found personal significance in the inverted pentagram I still wouldn’t’ chose it as my organizations emblem… what is the point of organizations choosing symbols surrounded with superstition…Are they trying to draw people in with mystery… Or are they negative in nature generally…..????

Allot of gangs use interesting symbolism that sees to be similar to lots of familiar symbols… makes me wonder where they pulled it from…..

www.dc.state.fl.us...

www.adl.org...

www.witchvox.com...

(mod edit to reduce large quote)

[edit on 4-3-2006 by pantha]

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PowerToThePeople

Thanks for the Interesting link.. Might be interesting to look more into that. Makes me wonder if peoples superstition of a number might bring events into materialization.. Like what you focus on is more likely to happen. Like if someone was driving a car on Friday the 13 if they were consciously or subconsciously afraid of crashing it would cause them to be more likely for crash. Suppression I think is the root cause of maybe more problems then people realize.

PowerToThePeople,

Have a read of this link

www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...

11, 13 and 33

The Illuminati / Freemason Signature

by Robert Howard

Updated 11/30/2001

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePunisher

Originally posted by PowerToThePeople

PowerToThePeople,

Have a read of this link

www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...

11, 13 and 33

The Illuminati / Freemason Signature

by Robert Howard

Updated 11/30/2001

No I haven’t.. I am still new to this somewhat.. There is definitely allot to read.. I am trying to look at things neutrally and seeing what I notice for myself in what I observe and experience around me before I form to much opinion, but that link was definitely interesting.. I think I will compile more on symbolism and start really looking at things and make more conscious effort to notice what is around me and stuff. It makes sense that everything at least has some meaning and significance behind it.
Thanks for the link
Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Interesting Thread! It looks like these Religions still can't shake off the curse of *DUALISM*. A Symbol is just a Symbol - neither Good or Evil in itself. Symbols (like Books) are Interpreted differently by various people - so the meaning of Symbols Vary. It is Intent & Action that is Good or Evil! All this stuff is all so RELATIVE!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join