It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another tracking trick...hidden?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I understand the ads and cookies, but do they really need to know what videos I watch? Most likely used by Google, but really didn't expect it from a simple video embedded on ATS...just no privacy anywhere anymore.

The thing I don't get is that the IE9 tracking option actually picked up on the track...

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
That is why in-private viewing is greatness, and a scan of your files every few weeks to get rid of anything unusual.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
What is in-private viewing?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

InPrivate Browsing (Ctrl+shift+P)

InPrivate Browsing enables you to surf the web without leaving a trail in Internet Explorer. This helps prevent anyone else who might be using your computer from seeing where you visited and what you looked at on the web

Applies to Windows XP sp3 and above, I believe… IE7(?), IE8 and IE9, correct me if I'm wrong

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

Works in Opera too like a charm

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
grab a copy of Peerblock (it's opensource, and free) and download the No-Script plugin for firefox, there's tons of stuff you can do to protect your browsing

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
inprivate browsing does nothing about your ip though does it?
what i understand it wipes the history/ cookies stuff like that after you close the browser
but site you visit will still get a traffic hit wont they? so they might still see your ip which is location..
hell private browsing probably starts the tracking/watching for blackmail, keeping tabs. my thoughts

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

yes get no script and block google analytics, ive found that my connection had increased by blocking it.

google analytics

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
When trying to hide yourself is when you give reason to be monitored, why do you want to browse in private got something to hide?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by thestupidguy

actually prime targets are people who dont realize they have the right to hide their identity, or just simply dont know how.

oh and OP if you really wanna get the most out of Firefox, check out Greasespot , it's greasemonkey which uses scripts to control what your browser does, so it only does what you want it to. here are the scripts the list is huge so take some time and go through it.. but you may wanna check out this google blocker , it'll stop most ad tracking cookies (since most are from Google anyways....)
edit on 16-7-2011 by Nobama because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

Everything is tracked. Notice how youtube has google ads on them? That means it's being tracked. (Someone is paying for that ad (Adwords), so they need to know how many times their ad is viewed)

As a logged in member on ATS, you are currently being tracked by five different services. (Comscore Beacon, Doubleclick, Google Analytics, Gorilla Nation and Quantcast)

I don't use adblockers as I have a high-speed connection and most free websites, including ATS, frown on their use. (as I'm sure you know, ads are ATS's main source of income)

NOTE: I just checked and non-logged in ATS readers are tracked by 9 different services. (including the ones named above)

edit on 21/7/11 by ConspiracyNut23 because: added note

EDIT: Weird, just got 3 more on refresh. (I guess some ads use their own tracking) they are: AdNexus, CPX Interactive and Right Media.
edit on 21/7/11 by ConspiracyNut23 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join