It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather to hit 40 °C from 20 °C (104 °F) in Prairies, Central Canada

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Although it does happen, the temp differences lately are crazy. From 20 °C to 40 °C in a day or two. Expected to last maybe 5 days. On the East Coast, last year at this time we were in 30 °C average weather..

The 40 °C is not the alarming part, that's quite common up here (See? No igloos) It's the sudden changes that are happening overnight or within a day.

2 days ago it was 8 °C. Huge difference on average even as this weekend on the East Coast is only going to 19 °C. I'm wearing a freaking sweater today while last year I was sweating my pudding cup off!

Anyone still saying that this is normal? I'm 47 yrs old and I am lamenting my summers of yesteryear. You could count on the days being a steady temperature with smaller dips and rises as days will do, but this is ridiculous.

Weekend weather to sizzle in Prairies, Central Canada
news.ca.msn.com...

Many Canadians can expect to feel above average temperatures this weekend: with the added humidity, it will feel like it's hotter than 40 °C in some parts of the Prairies, Ontario and Quebec.

Meanwhile, British Columbia and Atlantic Canada have been having a cooler than usual summer. Our Fruit Belt is not doing so well this year and adding this to the US fires, droughts and floods is only going to result in food prices sky rocketing.
B.C.'s 'bummer summer' not warming up soon
www.cbc.ca...

"It's a big area of low pressure and it's surrounded by spokes of moisture like a bicycle wheel," said Martin. "And as these spokes go by, we get wave after wave of showers, and it's really not going anywhere."

edit on 15-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

We usually in Canada(In the Great Lakes Region ) Get about 5-10 days a year(during the summer) that are 33-36 C And the humidity brings it to feeling like 40C

The Climate is Changing i surmise but alas; has always been doing so on mother Earth.

its probably related to the al nina el nino and the Natural Cycles.

The Sun is heading towards its solar maximum too and is more active than its minimum phase at this present moment.( in time)
edit on 15-7-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUniverse
reply to post by jude11

We usually in Canada(In the Great Lakes Region ) Get about 5-10 days a year(during the summer) that are 33-36 C And the humidity brings it to feeling like 40C

The Climate is Changing i surmise but alas; has always been doing so on mother Earth.

its probably related to the al nina el nino and the Natural Cycles.

The Sun is heading towards its solar maximum too and is more active than its minimum phase at this present moment.( in time)
edit on 15-7-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

It does seem that Ontario is holding on an average but the Coastal areas are getting it hard. Rain, cold and crappy-cloudy days. I could count the actual sunny days on one hand in the last Month. And this is Mid July.

If it doesn't settle to normal quick, the season will be lost for a lot of crops.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
104?thats jacket weather here in AZ.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by VicDiaz89
104?thats jacket weather here in AZ.

It's not the temperature I'm addressing. We get those temps here quite often. It's actually the jump from cooler to extreme in less than a day or 2 that is different.

That and the fact that the summer all over N. America seems to be a little strange this year.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Yuck.

I moved from Penticton to get away from that, all the way to Saskatchewan

I wonder what the hottest Oosoyoos has ever gotten?

I worked for a while at a furniture factory there, and we weren't allowed to stop working and go home unless the thermometers hit 47. It hovered at 46 one day, but didn't go over.

I looked at the weather thing for my town, which is thankfully quite north, and the hottest day coming is also supposed to be rainy.

Oh well, when it's really hot, the mosquitoes go away

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Hi, what is that temp in american please.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggyMcBigPants

40 celcius = 104ish F and on the bottom end of the thermometer -40 C = -40 F

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I am up in norhtern MN and we have a heat watch issued until tuesday. They are reporting that the heat index here will be up around 105-110 degrees. Of course I am on call all weekend and I am sure I will be seeing my fair share of heat related problems along with the people who have respritoty problems. Crazy weather up here in Minnesota, if its not -30 below its 100 above.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
West-central Saskatchewan here and with the rain & heat and humidity, we now officially have 12 times the normal amount of mosquitoes for this province. I let poor old Sophie (my 16 yr. old cat) out for a few minutes last night around supper time...she went over to the back of the house for a bit to chew on a blade of grass and when she came back around to the door, she was absolutely swarmed!! I grabbed her & threw her back in the house - poor thing. I think she got a bite on her nose cuz she was rubbing it with her paws. The Canadian Tire store here is running low on Deep Woods Off. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/933c5b277b77.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
West-central Saskatchewan here and with the rain & heat and humidity, we now officially have 12 times the normal amount of mosquitoes for this province. I let poor old Sophie (my 16 yr. old cat) out for a few minutes last night around supper time...she went over to the back of the house for a bit to chew on a blade of grass and when she came back around to the door, she was absolutely swarmed!! I grabbed her & threw her back in the house - poor thing. I think she got a bite on her nose cuz she was rubbing it with her paws. The Canadian Tire store here is running low on Deep Woods Off. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/933c5b277b77.gif[/atsimg]

I come the prairies originally and 12 times the mosquitoes I can't even imagine!

I remember black flies so deep that it would drive you mad and it was like a cloud.

The animals definitely get it worse.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
here in BC it's been 19 degrees forever....rains on and off. cloudy constantly with little sun breaks here and there.
I didn't even need to look at the thermometer to know it was 19. I did anyway, and what do you know...19....lol

I swear the lack of change in our weather here and the repetitive pattern that happens is enough to drive you nuts.
All I ask for is a good lightning storm. anything..

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
here in BC it's been 19 degrees forever....rains on and off. cloudy constantly with little sun breaks here and there.
I didn't even need to look at the thermometer to know it was 19. I did anyway, and what do you know...19....lol

I swear the lack of change in our weather here and the repetitive pattern that happens is enough to drive you nuts.
All I ask for is a good lightning storm. anything..

BC hasn't been doing so well either this year I've noticed. Here on the East Coast it's the same. Colder than usual, rain almost every other day and cloudy 6 days of the week.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Tasty Canadian

I got a zapper for the mosquitoes this year from Home Hardware, because last year I couldn't even step outside without the house filling up. Last year there were trillions of the little buggers. Big buggers actually

Either where I am is much better (east central) this year, or the zapper is working. I only unplug it if it storms outside. I have it about 5 feet off the corner of the house, good for 1/2 acre. I have 10 acres, but it helps around the house.

Best $55 I ever spent. I might get 3 more next year, I have a wetlands area the beavers have constructed, which isn't helping.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Hey, would you flatlanders mind sending some of that heat over here? Despite what the news says, it's been a cool 13 degrees(55F for you yanks) here for the past week or so. Feels like it's fall already, and we're only halfway through July.

Makes me wonder if we're going to have an abnormally warm fall/winter.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRedfield
Hey, would you flatlanders mind sending some of that heat over here? Despite what the news says, it's been a cool 13 degrees(55F for you yanks) here for the past week or so. Feels like it's fall already, and we're only halfway through July.

You're in the wrong direction, the wind has been blowing towards the east.

So far, this has been the best year here weatherwise, but it sounds like the heat is coming. I was raised in Vancouver, so I'm used to the wet, spent a few years in the south Okanagan, so I'm used to the heat
, but we're supposed to be getting humidity now - I'm not used to hot and wet together. :shk:

With some luck, it'll stay windy, then it'll be really nice.
I hope we get our usual extra cold winter here in SK, when it's cold enough, the roads stay nice to drive on.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

East Coast or West?

Seems they are both the same but the East is incredibly strange for summer.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

East Coast or West?

His location has 604 - I'm assuming lower mainland BC

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

You're in the wrong direction, the wind has been blowing towards the east.

So far, this has been the best year here weatherwise, but it sounds like the heat is coming. I was raised in Vancouver, so I'm used to the wet, spent a few years in the south Okanagan, so I'm used to the heat
, but we're supposed to be getting humidity now - I'm not used to hot and wet together. :shk:

With some luck, it'll stay windy, then it'll be really nice.
I hope we get our usual extra cold winter here in SK, when it's cold enough, the roads stay nice to drive on.

Yeah, tell me about it. I was born in New Brunswick, moved out to BC when I was about 2. Lived here ever since (mid-20's now). I just wouldn't mind a week or two of warm temps and sunlight, please!

Originally posted by jude11

East Coast or West?

West.

Indeed, it's strange all around. Interesting times we live in, that's for sure.

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

everything else aside you killed me with the part about the pudding cup

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join