It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon discloses massive cyber theft

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Pentagon discloses massive cyber theft

www.msnbc.msn.com

WASHINGTON — The Pentagon on Thursday revealed that in the spring it suffered one of its largest losses ever of sensitive data in a cyber attack by a foreign government. It's a dramatic example of why the military is pursuing a new strategy emphasizing deeper defenses of its computer networks, collaboration with private industry and new steps to stop "malicious insiders."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Guys I have been talking about that we have already been at war with China. Now I am not accusing China of this theft of US technology, but it could easily be a false flag to get more control over the internet. There is another thread about the Pentagon declaring war on cyberattackers. These guys are saying that they could cripple the financial and infrastructure systems. This is extremely ridiculous as a lot of these systems are on internal networks not connected to the internet.

They said this could be the next pearl harbor:

At his Senate confirmation hearing last month, new Defense Secretary Leon Panetta cited "a strong likelihood that the next Pearl Harbor" could well be a cyber attack that cripples the U.S. power grid and financial and government systems

Next pearl harbor guys; meaning new war.

www.msnbc.msn.com
edit on 14-7-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
That's really pretty frightening. I also agree that the situation with China is becoming increasingly tense and I think that even more is going on behind the scenes than we realize. I have found it interesting that we had a huge contingent of people in India last fall to secure a trade deal. Then we go in and get OBL, cut off aid to Pakistan, there is another terror attack in India. Things over there are heating up and China is right next door... If a spark ignites I am going to suspect that certain ptb knew this was coming and that China will be involved eventually. India is our current proxy.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I think the threats here are really complex and entirely new. I can see ways of taking out either the financial system or the infrastructure. You wouldn't need to attack the NYSE directly. That actually would be the easiest thing to repair the damage to. They'd attack a few of the largest companies in a truly crippling way to shake confidence...perhaps whammy the company that handles the majority of global credit card transactions. That takes the markets. I can see the threats clear enough and in a place like China you have the hackers operating in an environment of total impunity for learning by trial and error elsewhere across the world. That is something no school or college could ever match in education so China will be putting out some of the best hackers and in large numbers.

My real concern here is that this is cyberspace. Where is the line between foreign and domestic threats for the Pentagon to be operating against as a declared military threat? Do we even have a civilian organization cases could be handed off to when they blur or outright cross onto U.S. soil with U.S. Citizens or will the Pentagon be handling that too? Therein lies the greatest threat for this, I believe.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Guys I have been talking about that we have already been at war with China. Now I am not accusing China of this theft of US technology, but it could easily be a false flag to get more control over the internet. There is another thread about the Pentagon declaring war on cyberattackers. These guys are saying that they could cripple the financial and infrastructure systems. This is extremely ridiculous as a lot of these systems are on internal networks not connected to the internet.

They said this could be the next pearl harbor:

At his Senate confirmation hearing last month, new Defense Secretary Leon Panetta cited "a strong likelihood that the next Pearl Harbor" could well be a cyber attack that cripples the U.S. power grid and financial and government systems

Next pearl harbor guys; meaning new war.

www.msnbc.msn.com

Excuse me, but this is wholly incorrect. You can't cite an article that says this :

Many cyber attacks in the past have been blamed on China or Russia. One of the Pentagon's fears is that eventually a terrorist group, with less at stake than a foreign government, will acquire the ability to not only penetrate U.S. computer networks to steal data but to attack them in ways that damage U.S. defenses or even cause deaths.

In his speech at the National Defense University, Lynn said that sophisticated computer capabilities reside almost exclusively in nation-states, and that U.S. military power is a strong deterrent against overtly destructive cyber attacks. Terrorist groups and rogue states, he said, are a different problem and harder to deter.

"If a terrorist group gains disruptive or destructive cyber tools, we have to assume they will strike with little hesitation," he said.

And say that we are at war with China, and this is your smoking gun. I'm reporthing this author for misleading the facts, and the moderators can decide what to do about it because this is not the first thread like this.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yea the pentagon would have to be forced to give Jurisdiction to the FBI for legal reasons, but we all know that is probably never going to happen unless someone has a courtcase that comes up and how the evidence was collected comes up. Then that is all hidden due to 'national security" reasons and the blatant use of overpower goes unnoticed because the media hangs this guy as a terrorist and the brainwashed sheep just go along with it.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It would more than likely to be an inside job. The attempt to remove and distract thoughts away form the US goverments inablity to provide a sustainable economy.

Why not just say that threats are from other countries. Makes it easier to pass the blame

Also the biggest threat is damage to the power grid. That would cripple the country and totally remove the chances of ever getting back into a stable finacial situation.

I think it is more likely to do with CME and or solar flares. They are just using this as an excuse to blame someone.

Then again I might be completely wrong

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I've come to the conclusion that this man's posts and threads are not worth the time of ANY ATS user on here.

This would be the second thread today at least that he's reported some article, taken its facts and twisted it to make some outrageous claim.

I wish there was a bury feature on ATS.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
www.examiner.com...

I just read of this here. I'm curious as to how it took four months for this to be reported.
It's easy to agree with the criticisms that the balance of being defensive and offensive in cyber attacks are out of balance.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by Ricola

You only have 30 stars little boy. Earn your respect around here since I am your father.

You are my father eh?

I'm 100% certain you're not even half of what my father was.

I don't use this site to gain stars, or start threads. I use this site because most news reported on here, goes unreported elsewhere.

And when i see somebody claim we're at war with China, with no proof whatsoever of their involvement in the latest cyber scandal, I felt the need to alert readers of the inconsistencies that are in fact, consistent with your threads that you do make.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

A. Please, Stop Referencing yourself as my father. My Father is Dead.

B. Theoretically Sure, A cyberattack could render those things useless. All depends on where and what is being targeted.

They have their's we have stuxnet. But to say that we are at war with china, is very sensationalist. Especially when "research" is another thread you created.

Couldnt this be Anonymous?

We don't know. And we don't know that its Chinese Originated either.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ricola

Sorry about your dad. I stated that it is probably from China but could be a false flag because the pentagon wants another pearl harbor.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

No you straight up say it is your opinion we are officially at war with China. Also with the only proof being from reading into articles and things that happen. It is a good inference, but we are not at war with China at the moment.

but back on topic: of course someone could bring down our infrastructure TEMPORARILY with a cyber attack. Let's be honest, it won't happen like the movies where someone in a room hits a button and we go into a black out, cars crash, planes fall from the sky. Our guys will notice something going wrong and more than likely shut it down themselves to save any real damage. But another country straight up coming at us like that is extreme. They'd sooner find our secrets, blackmail us, and if we don't comply, release information. That makes more sense. China still needs us to not hate them. If they were going to take us down, they'd come in with military and force us to work for them, not allow our government to say China is the bad guy and have us boycott them etc etc.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thenewguy1987

That was my other thread which I talked about us being at war, and I still truly do believe we are at war. The human bodies CD4 and CD8, neutrophils, eosinophils are at constant war. Just because you cannot see it happen does not mean it does not exist. This war is happening on a daily basis and some of the smaller players like anonymous are coming out to play. This thread I talk about pentagon data being stolen and China being a possibility; highly likely.

Also why in the world are the pentagon computers not encrypted? Easily encrypting the desktop computers would make certain things harder.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

And just because you say it is happening doesn't mean it is.

What makes you think The Pentagon isn't encrypted? Wouldn't it make sense if China was employing people to hack into a highly sensitive system they would hire people who knew how to get through that sort of thing? Or write a code?

I'll say again, things you have inferred sound reasonable. What I have a problem with is the fear monger/sensationalist tactics. We just don't have anything other than inference.

PS, I am signing off, if the conversation continues I will reply in the morning. Good evening.
edit on 14-7-2011 by thenewguy1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
SOOOOO point is.......
-Somebody stole some # from the pentagon.
-It was PROBABLY the pentagon...
-And we are at war with EVERYBODY so who cares..?

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Ricola

You are my father eh? I'm 100% certain you're not even half of what my father was. I don't use this site to gain stars, or start threads. I use this site because most news reported on here, goes unreported elsewhere. And when i see somebody claim we're at war with China, with no proof whatsoever of their involvement in the latest cyber scandal, I felt the need to alert readers of the inconsistencies that are in fact, consistent with your threads that you do make.

LMAO! I think I'm experiencing deja vu!!!!

You're killing me over here....LOL....

The Professional is in full throttle tonight, man......

posted on Jul, 15 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

China has hacked every system we have but we still have people on the other thread saying we are invincible www.abovetopsecret.com...

These are systems not connected to the internet for security reason so using this to crack down on the internet is just another political lie.. If people don't think we are at war with China they are naive. Our politicians have sold us out at every step. They are preparing to physically take over the USA and have a plausible plan and new technology that we have no defenses for as shown in the thread above.

Their top generals have made statements confirming they intend to take us over and preparing while they pretend to be our friends

edit on 15-7-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join