It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Logical Purpose for death?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I understand that the body over time breaks down and finally runs out of energy or suffers some kind of illness or trauma causing the physical death of the body. Aside from that, why does the ability to die even exist at all? Why be born just to die so soon after? It seems everything leads to death no matter how you live your life.

Why do you believe we die?(or at least leave the human body, if you believe we never really die)

My take would be to learn something in the body but then I have to think, what good is it to learn if you aren't really sure what you suppose to be learning? Death points us to what is important in life which isn't this world.
edit on 14-7-2011 by Ralphy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Your machine fails and can no longer work.

Death is a disease that one day will be fixed. likely not in our lifetimes though.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

I know there's no death without life but would there also be no life without death?

Pondering.....

Peace
edit on 14-7-2011 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Life and death are phases within existance.
Life learn - death hatch into your mature self- existance eternia
LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA*******

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
according to some, you much keep living lives until you learn something, then you can live forever in bliss....You got me on that one

There is something in our DNA that makes our cells die. There is a way to turn this off, and then hypothetically you could live forever.

I just saw a Dobson fly on my window (cool looking bug if you want to google it)

anyway, this bug lives as a larva for 3 years, then emerges into adulthood for 7 days to mate and die

or cicada's that live in the ground for 17 years, pop up, mate and die.

We are more like the Borg, where the collective (reproducing) is more important than one individuals achievment

continuity of the species
edit on 14-7-2011 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-7-2011 by BadBoYeed because: no spellcheck on this computer uggg

link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
Your machine fails and can no longer work.

Death is a disease that one day will be fixed. likely not in our lifetimes though.

Not quite.

We die as our body cannot produce new cells, and old cells die off and dont get replaced.
Death is not a disease.

link   
YOU are ALL Eternal just in 3d bodies to fit the current environment plane of EARTH.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

You know what I meant. There is no "purpose" to death, it is a side-effect to malfunctions in our DNA.

We just to need to get some Turtle DNA, and we'll be ok.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Ok, there are several ways to explain this... think of it this way. You have a choice between car A and car B.

Car A = an old beat-up car, low quality, but very very cheap and easily replacable.
Car B = A sturdier, much more durable and high-quality vehicle, but much more expensive and difficult to replace.

Now suppose I said you are going to go into an enviromnent where there will be lots of boulders and rocks crashing around, plus lots of your fellow drivers will be drunks or homocides. In other words, there is a high probablity that one way or another your car will be destroyed within, say, one year at most. It's all statistically provable, the insurance guys have charted it all out.

In this situation, the optimal strategy would be to choose Car A, because either way your car is going to need replacing within a year, and you don't want to toss out all the cash on the expensive one if it just is going to get totaled anyway.

The analogy is thus: Car A is a mortal being; Car B is an "immortal" or much more long-lived being. I put "immortal" in quotes because it is still subject to stuff like being crushed by falling rocks or eaten by predators. And in our analogy, the environment with lots of boulders and rocks is our world, which is indeed a dangerous place full of all kinds of things that could go wrong. Given a world like that, it makes much more "sense" as a strategy to take the cheap body that reproduces sexually (i.e., Car A, cheap and easily replacable, just like every mortal man), rather than a more long-lived body. A more long-lived body can't reproduce as often or it would overpopulate and starve. So long-lived animals and plants reproduce less and more expensively (in terms of energy, effort, etc.), and theoretically an "immortal" animal would reproduce hardly at all. But all animals with physical bodies are still subject to the laws of physics and there is always a boulder out there big enough to crush you.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
maybe we die because some thing small is eating us inside the little aches and pains you feel iv seen people throw up spiders amung other things

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Physical bodies 'die' when the soul inhabiting it is ready for the next life...
The bodies that die are simply our 'Avatars' or Earth-suits or vessels
and the soul (or essence) progesses, or regresses into which ever
plane of existence the soul is headed.
How the place is determined I have no idea. But I am quite sure about what I said pertaining to physical death.
You must remember that long ago when 'life on Earth was created' that the species or whatever of Human would not really grasp the thought of transmutation so instead Infinite One implemented a way for everything to sort-of make sense in a cyclical way. Which is the way time/all things work; in cycles. Therefor the cycle of birth, life, death, and soul-progression.
And the deceased body placed into the earth eventually deteriorates and in turn nourishes the plants and dirt, which in turn nourish new birth and life, and so the cycle goes =]
rememeber also that there is an undetermined point where science, religion, myths, physics, are all connected and comprehendable.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Yes, there is a logical reason for death:
According to the second law of thermodynamics or the law of increased entropy, even the universe itself will "die" one day. It is simply the nature of this reality for things to decay into chaos, and eventually heat-death. However, there just may be other "dimensions" or universes where this is not the case (as evidenced by string theory). A better question would be, "does a part of us have the ability to pass to another reality where it is not confined by the same principals of quantum physics?" I once had an entity tell me that it is a possibility. Then again, it could have just been the ayahuasca ceremony that centered around death making me imagine that I was being guided by a spirit being from another dimension. (By the way, don't delete this post for T&C violations, as I took the ayahuasca in a country where it is legal, and protected by their constitution.)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Death is necessary to maintain homeostasis in any closed environment (Earth). If nothing ever died then eventually there would literally be no more space or food for anything. We are all dependent on death. Oil, minerals, sand, dirt, all come from once living beings. It's an essential part of life. Anyway, wouldn't you eventually get bored, say after 10,000 years or so in the same plane of existence?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The regeneration of cells eventually becomes less efficient. Organs and muscles atrophy. Pumping mechanism of the heart tires. Our first line of defense - skin, loses its elasticity and protectiveness. Our bodies capabilities to repair itself simply diminish. It seems that we are genetically programmed to have a particular life expectancy. Obviously, advances in the medical world have aided in us prolonging this - but biologically speaking, our bodies still wear out.

Certainly may be possible to prolong our lives to ages we can not fathom at some point. Transplants, modifying genetic make-up, who knows.

Question of why we are here, is an invented question for humans to "find" their purpose. Our biological clock seems to lean me towards reproduction. Then of course, whatever your religious beliefs are, may answer that question as well.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Fortunately, death doesn't have the last word, since it cannot envelope or contain life, so it's just a part of life, where life meets life. Thus, no matter what our circumstance, we cannot allow death to define us.

Oh death where is thy sting?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Everything dies on earth to replenish earth of vital nutrients she needs to survive. Just one huge compost pile. Although now when most of us die we will be put into elaborate boxes made of god knows what to be buried in. We don't contribute to the circle of life anymore, we just absorb resources and slowly kill our planet.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Death is a necessity for life to be sustained on earth. All carbon based lifeforms have to die and feed the rest.

Whats not logical about that?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Ralphy--

Your reasoning is too shallow and too literal (that is not referring to your intelligence), simply your argument you present here.

Of course, if you can never believe in spirituality of any type, then you are at a loggerhead in your approach. Rather than simple settle for that end point, that position presents you with a good opportunity to explore other tangents and expand your knowledge of what could be... beyond your present view of reality.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Maybe the saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is applicable. An infant can learn language without hardly trying, how many of us could learn a new language without some large effort...and still not be that good at it.
edit on 14-7-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I think that physical death is simply the sign that our consciousness is not evolved enough. In other words, we die because we don't know how to live. Simple reasoning, isn't it?

edit on 14-7-2011 by D1ss1dent because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join