It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm thinking of becoming a Freemason.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Sorry, if this is the wrong forum, as I always have trouble finding the right one, and I know that Freemasonry is not a secret society, but rather a society with secrets.

Anyways, I did my research, and I looked into it; I saw the commercials, and I saw documentaries as well as simple videos describing Freemasonry. I also looked up the requirements to becoming a Mason, pretty carefully, and although I don't honestly think I'm 100% qualified, all I can say is that it seems as if I would have no trouble "fitting in". It seems to me that based on the beliefs and just overall it would be something I would be interested in, mostly because the descriptions did match my beliefs.

In case you're wondering, yes, this is from my own free choice, as NO ONE, told me to do this, or to go and see if I can join.

So I have a few questions, but mostly I'm just looking for tips rather than answers.

P.S. I am a male, 18 years old, with a belief in some sort of "deity", but not God. As I said, I do, but it's not a typical kind of belief you always hear, mostly because the "God" I believe in is much more different than the typical Christian God, but I do attend youth group from time to time, as I like meeting new people, and making friends.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Don't you have to be recommended and invited in by someone who is already a freemason? You can't just decide you want to join.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I thought some about being a freemason myself, but when I got the invite I declined. This is a long story, I talked about the freemason when I was younger. When I became older, a person I knew had been recruited. It's probably a good thing for those who are in it. They seem to be having fun doing whatever it is that they are doing, but they have some issues too. Especially judges and people in high positions can be suspected of helping their friends in need. There is a problem in the world with friends helping friends in high positions. I don't want to be a part of the problem with legitimizing secret organizations. When I see a judge and a lawyer in a case and I know that both are freemasons, I think this is a bad thing. The lawyer and judge problem is something I have seen happening, and it makes a mockery of the legal system. So, I can't join that organization because of that.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I thought you had to actually be related to someone who was a mason (his father was a mason...and his father before that..and his grandfather before that...that sort of thing). I dated a Mason for awhile and that is what he told me.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by KatieVA

Not that I know of, no. I think you just go to a lodge near you, and you simply ask. But then again, you could be right. Actually the more I'm thinking about it, the more I think you're right, but as far as I know, it just doesn't seem to be like that. I'll have a look and see.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by nidstav

Thanx, for the interesting reply. I can definitely see your point, here, I don't blame you. After all, why would you wanna join something you might not feel is right.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by idunno12

Again, simply as far as I know, no, but you guys could be right.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by nidstav
I thought some about being a freemason myself, but when I got the invite I declined. This is a long story, I talked about the freemason when I was younger. When I became older, a person I knew had been recruited. It's probably a good thing for those who are in it. They seem to be having fun doing whatever it is that they are doing, but they have some issues too. Especially judges and people in high positions can be suspected of helping their friends in need. There is a problem in the world with friends helping friends in high positions. I don't want to be a part of the problem with legitimizing secret organizations. When I see a judge and a lawyer in a case and I know that both are freemasons, I think this is a bad thing. The lawyer and judge problem is something I have seen happening, and it makes a mockery of the legal system. So, I can't join that organization because of that.

Especially judges and people in high positions can be suspected of helping their friends in need.

Sign me up! I could use the extra help when in court.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by KatieVA

All the kid really has to do is petition his local lodge. It's not really by invite only and if he showed a genuine interest, most likely he would have no problem getting sponsored by local members. My grandfather was a master mason and my uncle was in it too. I was gonna try to join it about 10 years ago or so but my uncle talked me out of it, saying it was crap, that it was no big deal. Oh yeah and my Great Grandmother was in the Order of the Eastern Star. That's pretty much all I know.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mjleonid12

Why do you want to become a Freemason?

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

I know there's one million or more ways to get preoccupied, but there's only a couple of a few ways that I'm willing to take. And also, not necessarily because of curiosity, but because it seems to interest me, the more I look into it. It feels like I probably wont have anything to lose.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TopherWayne

Thank you, and yea, I have heard of people almost getting dissapointed and stuff. I'm personally not expecting anything, except meeting new people, and being part of something that you don't usually see for people my age group.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mjleonid12

Then that's awesome dude. I say go for it! Good luck!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TopherWayne

Thank you very much!

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Why do you think you are not 100% qualified?

In order to become a Mason, a candidate must:
- Be male
- Have a belief in a Supreme Being (The test is a yes or no answer to the question "Do you believe in a Supreme being?")
- Be over 21 years of age
- Be naturally charitable
- Not be wanting to join for personal gain financially or career-wise.
- Join of one's own free will and accord, unbiased by the solicitation of friends or masons against one's own inclination (which means that nobody can ever be invited - you have to ask to join)
- Have a favorable opinion of the institution
- Have a general desire for knowledge
- Have no criminal record or current criminal charges against him

If any one of the above are missing, the person cannot become a Mason.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Haha, Freemasons must be slack in Australia because my mate became one and had been done for stealing/crashing a car, and I was 'invited' to join.

2 rules broken.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

Haha, Freemasons must be slack in Australia because my mate became one and had been done for stealing/crashing a car

Probably an incompetent investigating committee. Or a serious lack of members in that particular lodge. Although it can happen, it's sad really, and doesn't bode well for the future of Freemasonry.

and I was 'invited' to join.

This is more common, and although it is strictly forbidden, it does happen. Usually, it's not so much as an invite, but rather alerting you to the fact that you could ask if you wanted to, and making you aware that you don't need to be invited.

A question such as "Would you like to join the Freemasons?" is rare.

edit on 14/7/2011 by Saurus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I hope you like drinking! It can be an expensive hobby being a mason, especially if you progress up the ladder. There comes a point where the cost can seriously damage your wallet.

It might be cheaper to take up another hobby, model railways, photography, alchemy, that sort of thing.

posted on Jul, 14 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rob37n
I hope you like drinking! It can be an expensive hobby being a mason, especially if you progress up the ladder. There comes a point where the cost can seriously damage your wallet.

It might be cheaper to take up another hobby, model railways, photography, alchemy, that sort of thing.

Expensive?

At my lodge, drinks and meals are free.

My annual fees are roughly equivalent to US$70 (GPB 50). That's what Freemasonry costs me in a year - no more, no less.

Why would moving up the ladder make any difference?
edit on 14/7/2011 by Saurus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join