It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cantor : taxes shouldn't be raised but students should pay more

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Vitchilo

I was a college student for 6 years. (Bachelors and Masters) and worked for most of that time. The loans taken were to supplement my education. Not to "blanket pay" for everything.

This would wake up students to the fundamentals of borrowing money in the first place.

Spending less on keggers, learning how to budget, added to the fact that the payments would be smaller than starting out with large payments (when you pay after graduation) might keep the requests smaller. Scholarships are always available as well.

Just pointing out another side kids.
*fire extinguisher ready*

This subject just burns me up!!! I agree with you to a degree, about teaching kids to be responsible and such, but you are absolutely wrong in your assumption that loans are taken out only for supplementary expenses. I had a similar experience as you did, but in my experience anyway, the financial aid system is completely messed up! To qualify for a "grant" you must make BELOW a certain amount of money. Throughout my bachelors degree, as well as my masters, I busted my ass working to keep afloat financially. Because I chose to actually work while in school, when it came to getting a grant, I made too much money. (Disqualified for acutally being industrious) Then with a 3.8 undergrad GPA and a 4.0 graduate gpa, I did not qualify for any of the school offered scholarships, which are primarily income or minority based pre-qualifications. AND the only reason I did not do better than a 3.8 GPA in undergrad is BECAUSE I had to work to pay for schooling....For me, I HAD to loan out my tuition costs because I made to much money and I am not a minority. Its really backwards! I remember sitting in the scholarship office with my transcripts in disbelief that my grades in addition to my on-campus involvements were not good enough to get any funding.

Sorry for the rant

edit on 13-7-2011 by TheAncientsKnew because: Added detail

edit on 13-7-2011 by TheAncientsKnew because: misspelling

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Vitchilo

I was a college student for 6 years. (Bachelors and Masters) and worked for most of that time. The loans taken were to supplement my education. Not to "blanket pay" for everything.

This would wake up students to the fundamentals of borrowing money in the first place.

Spending less on keggers, learning how to budget, added to the fact that the payments would be smaller than starting out with large payments (when you pay after graduation) might keep the requests smaller. Scholarships are always available as well.

Just pointing out another side kids.
*fire extinguisher ready*

Hail Bushla!

Certainly the banking industry needs more authoritarian schemes to correct the evils of college education!

Humanity must understand the importance of corporate servitude based upon keg abuse and the need to
Teach evil juvi experimenters a lesson!!!

All hail!!!

Such a righteous point!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I tried to post this reply and quote beezer's comment, but it showed up as part of beezer's quote- (not quite sure how that happened). Regardless, I have reposted:

This subject just burns me up!!! I agree with you to a degree, about teaching kids to be responsible and such, but you are absolutely wrong in your assumption that loans are taken out only for supplementary expenses. I had a similar experience as you did, but in my experience anyway, the financial aid system is completely messed up! To qualify for a "grant" you must make BELOW a certain amount of money. Throughout my bachelors degree, as well as my masters, I busted my ass working to keep afloat financially. Because I chose to actually work while in school, when it came to getting a grant, I made too much money. (Disqualified for acutally being industrious) Then with a 3.8 undergrad GPA and a 4.0 graduate gpa, I did not qualify for any of the school offered scholarships, which are primarily income or minority based pre-qualifications. AND the only reason I did not do better than a 3.8 GPA in undergrad is BECAUSE I had to work to pay for schooling....For me, I HAD to loan out my tuition costs because I made too much money and I am not a minority. Its really backwards! I remember sitting in the scholarship office with my transcripts in disbelief that my grades in addition to my on-campus involvements were not good enough to get any funding. It just really sucks that there are people who get a full ride for putting in less effort to try and pay for things themselves.

Sorry for the rant!

edit on 13-7-2011 by TheAncientsKnew because: mispelling - added detail

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wetpaint72
How would this idea theoretically "save" any money? What is being put on the table here is REVENUE, not savings.
Funny how closing loopholes is raising taxes thus raising revenue, and of course raising revenue from the top 2% is off the table.
'

here's a conspirecy...since all the election tabulators and voting machines are owned by corporations, isn't it obvious that the people that got selected for office in 2010, want the corporations and wealthy to benefit?

it's simple really....if they wanted the middle class and poor to do better, they would have passed laws to do that.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Canter doesn’t care, all he cares abut is the comfort of the rich. These guys don’t even try to hide it anymore.
Here s a guy who has cds’s (credit default swaps) that bet on the American government defaulting AND HE IS NEGOTIATING ON THE BUDGET!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mudbeed

Originally posted by mudbeed

Originally posted by roguetechie
That's ridiculous and essentially negates the reasoning behind student loans... If they do this it will basically END most people's ability to get even a bachelors degree in a reasonable amount of time.

Yeah you know why they (GOP) are all of a sudden attacking education?

Because there was legitimate studies done that the more educated you are the more likely you are to vote Dem.

True Story.
edit on 13-7-2011 by mudbeed because: (no reason given)

Dude, if you're smart you don't vote for strictly one party or the other. The "good guys" are sprinkled throughout both parties, and it takes a bit of research to discern them from others.

Please don't fall to the blade of partisanship, that's what an uneducated person would do

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAncientsKnew

When banks offer credit cards at 35% interest, the common response is "Don't get the credit card".

When the same type of situation occurs with student loans, all of a sudden, you have people dictating to the bank/government what the loan conditions should be.

I could start a thread right now about banks/loans and credit cards and the majority would respond, "Why give the evil banks your business?"

Yet, with student loans, there is the mind-set that it is "free money" and another entitlement. It is a gross hypocracy when you see students protesting government. . . . right after they cash the checks.

A college education is a privilege you earn, it is not a right guaranteed by anyone or anything. It is another example of the entitlement mind-set that is so pervasive in our society today.

Just my take on it.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Beezer i have had not one iota of beef with you until now, so it was ok for you to get your college out of the way, but not our kids.

I mean think about your first statement on this thread, if an individual was to get a masters or a doctorates, which is like $160,000 or more you want them to pay the interest rates right away

Sorry, man, but the average credit cards are $5,000 or so, not huge amounts such as i stated above.

Where i get upset is itssssssssssssssss all good when idiots such as cantor get his degree,and f everyone else

Let me put it this way for you Beezer. we can spend over 1.3 trillion a year on war, killing individuals that we have not a clue about, but not allow our middle and lower classes to enjoy a education without interest immediately

About the time i think i have life figured out, whoop, i receive a curve ball

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by allprowolfy
reply to post by beezzer

Beezer i have had not one iota of beef with you until now, so it was ok for you to get your college out of the way, but not our kids.

I mean think about your first statement on this thread, if an individual was to get a masters or a doctorates, which is like $160,000 or more you want them to pay the interest rates right away

Sorry, man, but the average credit cards are $5,000 or so, not huge amounts such as i stated above.

Where i get upset is itssssssssssssssss all good when idiots such as cantor get his degree,and f everyone else

Let me put it this way for you Beezer. we can spend over 1.3 trillion a year on war, killing individuals that we have not a clue about, but not allow our middle and lower classes to enjoy a education without interest immediately

About the time i think i have life figured out, whoop, i receive a curve ball

So it's the amount, not the fact that debt is incurred, that is the issue? Tell that to every student who works instead of adding to their debt for a college degree.
I'm just providing a cold dose of reality here. Student loans should not be the "norm" it should be the exception.
As I stated, I took out loans when I had to, but worked to supplement my degree. I paid back my "debt" as should everyone else. But what kind of world do we live in when the borrower gets to conduct the loan structure instead of the payee?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Like i said before not sure your educational level, but anything higher than a bachelors and sorry man you would not have been able to even pay off the accrued interest on your loans after year 3, do not believe me do the math at an average college which is around $20,000 a year,plus accrued interest at six percent. Your part time job would not cover it.

The way i see it, it is ONE perk for individuals to achieve a sense of Nationalism, and achieve something more than a Mcdonalds job,\

And you know you cannot default on these loans, So, if you still feel the way you do, and you dont mind paying for your kids accrued interest,or can pay it, best luck

cya around

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join