It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet's Death by Sun (Stunning Image Captured)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/468a4faa12b8.jpg[/atsimg]

The death of a comet that plunged into the sun was captured on camera this month for the first time in history, scientists say

The comet met its fiery demise on July 6 when it zoomed in from behind the sun and melted into oblivion as it crashed into the star. It was NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), a satellite orbiting Earth that studies the sun, which witnessed the comet's death-blow.

Comet's Death by Sun Photographed for First Time

Pretty cool stuff here.

And if this wasn't enough, here's a video of it.

I apologize for the music. It was in this format that space.com released it.

edit on 12-7-2011 by cluckerspud because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
omg nibiru !!!
did it died?

lol awesome ! I hope there are more pictures and videos that come out with closer images so we can see it in more detail !

Good bye mr. comet ... let that be a lesson of elininenn or w/e the f that useless rocks name is

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Here is another shot.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
For me it's just more evidence that disproves McCanney's Electric Universe theory considering the evidence he extrapolates on comet/sun interaction.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
For me it's just more evidence that disproves McCanney's Electric Universe theory considering the evidence he extrapolates on comet/sun interaction.

Could you outline his theory for us?

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
S + F clucker!!

I am surprised this has not received more attention. This site lately has been populated by crazy ass Elenin theories, based on wild claims. Yet here we have a beautiful piece of a real time event that took place in our solar system and yet it goes unnoticed. Sad one level and truly astonishing on the other. Thanks for sharing. Good find.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by keepureye2thesky

Apparently it could be because nothing in the comet's power, (or electrical ... whatever), saved the comet from its doom to support the theory that the comet has powers to destroy the earth, somehow without even impacting the earth. IMO it kills that whole paradigm with real observed physics taking place, without wild mystical or philosophical or even electrical woo. Just a tiny grain of dust thrown into a massive nuclear bomb, disintegrating.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Well it looks to me that the Solar flare has nothing to do with a comet impact. The flare was already there and the comet missed it by 100s of 1000s of miles.....or am I missing something.
That is a time frame image, so how long is the real time for this event?
Im amazed how we can look at the Sun and see all the stars etc, in the space behind, but when the guys were on the Moon, we couldnt see Any stars in space, in the photos taken on the moon.....weird.
Oh thats right, because the Sun is so bright on the Moon!!
But how come, even thru a filter (i guess), we can see stars behind the Sun...oh never mind.......who cares.
Its NASA.......

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by cluckerspud

How big would that comet have to be to appear like that against the sun?

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky
S + F clucker!!

I am surprised this has not received more attention. This site lately has been populated by crazy ass Elenin theories, based on wild claims. Yet here we have a beautiful piece of a real time event that took place in our solar system and yet it goes unnoticed. Sad one level and truly astonishing on the other. Thanks for sharing. Good find.

There have been at least 3 other threads in the last few days, Dalke07 started a thread 3 days ago when the comet first entered LASCO C3's field of view.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

A comet discovered by amateur astronomers on Friday, Sept. 30th, disintegrated in spectacular fashion the very next day when it plunged into the sun. The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory recorded the comet's last hours. The end was punctuated by an unexpected explosion.

Watch the movie again. The timing of the CME so soon after the comet dove into the sun suggests a link. But what? There is no known mechanism for comets to trigger solar explosions. Before 2011 most solar physicists would have discounted the events of Oct. 1st as pure coincidence--and pure coincidence is still the most likely explanation. Earlier this year, however, the Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) watched another sungrazer disintegrate in the sun's atmosphere. On July 5, 2011, the unnamed comet appeared to interact with plasma and magnetic fields in its surroundings as it fell apart. Could a puny comet cause a magnetic instability that might propagate and blossom into a impressive CME? The question is not so crazy as it once seemed to be.

Source: SpaceWeather

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

We really can't tell as all we can see is the coma and tail. Astronomers have estimated that comets can't be more than 50 km in diameter, because when when we have a vantage point of a comet against the sun, we cannot see it, so I suppose a body smaller than 50 km in diameter between the earth and sun is the limit of any visual telescope on earth. What I failed to gather from reading that (somewhere) is the distance from earth the comet is when such a determination was made. So sorry, not much help.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Thanks. I was just curious because the picture of the surface of the sun where the remnants (or whatever) of the comet are visible. If that is an actual to scale representation it would appear to make the comet giant, even planet sized.

top topics

join