It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are magnetic field lines made of?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
As the topic suggests, I've been looking for the answer to this question and all I keep finding are dead ends from allegedly well educated physicists. How is it possible that we don't even have some rough ideas of what magnetic field lines are made up from?

I'm hoping that I can find some insightful clues & information here. If I can get a rough idea of their composition and how they are formed I will be 1 step closer to discovering more alternative ways in which they can be arranged to better replicate naturally existing forms of energy flow...that and ... you know, satisfy my own curiosity about why no topic specifically about this exists on here considering magnetic fields are the bread & butter of nearly all electrical devices.

Perhaps the elite DO KNOW & are keeping it from the general public to ensure efficient power generation is not developed, thus further encouraging explosive energy generation.

looking forward to (hopefully) lots informative feed back!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Magnetic field lines are simply a visual representation of the directional effects of a magnetic field, to probably over simplify it, but to most that's really all that need to be said. The aurora on Earth is one example of a visual display of field lines of the Earth's magnetic field.

Here's wiki with a good pic to show field lines in relation to a traditional bar magnet. It should be a fairly familiar picture showing the iron shavings and how they will line up when a bar magnet is laid amongst them

Magnetic Field Lines

So really it's not anything separate or 'secret' it's just a term used when talking about magnetic fields when they need a visual representation of the field. It's also not made of anything as the visual effect is just showing the common direction of whatever is being pulled along the magnetic field. In the case of the iron shavings, they have a mutal attraction in the magnetic field which would help increase the ease at which they 'line up' with each other on their common directional vector.
edit on 12-7-2011 by Dashdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Magnetic field lines are made of energy which is created when cold air meets hot air and boom,something has to give.Hot air is saying im gonna heat things up.But cold air is saying im gonna make things colder than a witches ***

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I am not sure. I was thinking at first a field line must be made of a N and S magnet such as iron. Its an energy field of sorts I guess. One that can be measured.

Lets see what the smart guys/gals have to say because I am unsure myself.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dashdragon
Magnetic field lines are simply a visual representation of the directional effects of a magnetic field, to probably over simplify it, but to most that's really all that need to be said. The aurora on Earth is one example of a visual display of field lines of the Earth's magnetic field.

Here's wiki with a good pic to show field lines in relation to a traditional bar magnet. It should be a fairly familiar picture showing the iron shavings and how they will line up when a bar magnet is laid amongst them

Magnetic Field Lines

So really it's not anything separate or 'secret' it's just a term used when talking about magnetic fields.
I think the OP may have meant 'What are magnetic fields made of?'

In other words, what is transferred to cause the 'action at a distance' seen with moving magnetic fields?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Actually free energy very much exists - its just that we cannot harness it...yet.
en.wikipedia.org...

The magnetic field between magnetic dipoles. It is caused by the exchange of virtual photons. In symmetric 3-dimensional space this exchange results in the inverse square law for magnetic force. Since the photon has no mass, the magnetic potential has an infinite range.

I find it amusing how physicists just ignore these so called "virtual" particles which violate all the laws of physics for a short time as they come in and out of existence!
edit on 12-7-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: nrg

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I see them as connection lines between 1 or more magnetized objects. my 3 cents
Be well

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
i always heard the term : 'electro-magnetic spectrum'
so magnetism is buddy-buddy with electricity...

what i question is the existance of super conductors and even room temperature super conductivity
--the kind of force desired to propel the mag-lev trains (magnetic-levitation) that are coming to the USA infrastructure in the high speed trains that Øbama proposes.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
They are made of particles created by e=mc2 multiplied by the depth of water in marianas trench divided by harvey wallbanger.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Magnetic field lines don't really exist. They are a representation.

Didn't any of you people go to school beyond eighth grade?

This is like asking, what are latitude and longitude lines MADE OF?

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The field lines don't actually exist anymore than isobars actually exist on a weather map. It's a way of looking at it that's useful, and for the same reason. And one reason I get tickled when you hear some oatmeal brain like Begich chatter on about things slicing field lines "so that they snap like rubber bands!!" Sigh.

Anyways, yes, the attraction and repulsion likely involves virtual photons. Whether they're a mathematical figment or real depends on the physicist. Not that it matters, I've seen some really slick non-intuitive stuff that depends on virtual photons to work. Really really non-intuitive. You can do some "oh, hell no" stuff with virtual photons if you diddle them just right.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The force carrier for a magnetic field is the photon. Magnetic fields arise due to an exchange of virtual photons. You would need to study quantum electrodynamics to get the full picture. I don't understand the math myself to explain it correctly, but Richard Feynman's book on QED is fairly user friendly.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
This is like asking, what are latitude and longitude lines MADE OF?

On the other hand, it IS possible to send someone for a box of grid squares.

And most of them will actually go looking.

They're stored right next to the bottle of prop wash, and the chemlight batteries.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
There is a close relationship between electricity and magnetism with the induction motor able to translate between both types of forces. Electricity consists of electrons, the outer part of the atom that balances the protons in the inner part of the atom. Magnetism is based on this same type of positive and negative charge, but it is called a pole and is more representative of the molecule position in relation to other molecules.

In a magnet all the molecules are aligned so instead of all these molecular poles scattered all over the place and cancelling each other out, all the poles of each molecule work together to produce the one large pole of the magnetic. A magnet can be made by using an electric current to align all the molecular poles, as with an electro magnet that can be switched on and off. Push a strong enough electrical charge and the magnet will become a permanent magnet as this high level of electricity forces the molecules into position.

So the magnetic field lines are made from the combined alignment of all the molecules in the magnet.

The electromagnetic spectrum consisting of light, radio and other waves are made from photons. These are massless sub atomic matter that is released from the atom when an electron changes its position or orbit and travel at the speed of light.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxCavalera
As the topic suggests, I've been looking for the answer to this question and all I keep finding are dead ends from allegedly well educated physicists. How is it possible that we don't even have some rough ideas of what magnetic field lines are made up from?
There's no such thing in reality.

As others have said, it's just a visualization tool. There aren't any field lines in nature.

Field Line

Magnetic fields are continuous, and do not have discrete lines.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
i know what are all of us oatmeal brains thinking?? god forbid the churning core generating the magnetic field have properties that we are yet to understand! oh and for you smart guys who say theyre just representations maybe you should check out how the great whte shark navigates across the ocean.... derp... " pop the kleen they dont see lines they use magnetic north-south representation" national geographic seems to have an idea that great whites follow an actual magnetic bread crumb trail to navigate perfectly along the coast but out of sight of it. national geographic??? " pop the kleen my internet studies are far more accurate in my own head than national shillographic". the sharks name is nicole so you can find it yourself ( navigated the entire indian ocean flawlessly wile visually blind of the coast) but derp all you internet scientists are so derpin derp and derp. what happened to anything is possible? jesus some of you think because your over 23 and your smarter than your friends and family you have precedence to make stick up your butt statements, "ocean currents? rivers in the water blah we all know jesus's kidneys clean the oceans! scientific fact thats why its salty" -common post if ATS existed in 1805 -im no genius but some of you are so blatantly DERP that you belong in the scientific community! you better prove me wrong or you will look so dumb in front of all the other academians!

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I need to ask again.

What is transferred through a magnetic field to cause action at a distance?

Photons have been mentioned, but I don't like that answer, since a photon-opaque barrier can be placed between the objects in the interacting field and the action still takes place.

I'm not liking the quantum mechanics answer either, this is a macro event and should not have to rely on a theory that only has been proven on a quantum level.
edit on 12-7-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I need to ask again.

Magnetic Flux

For a static magnetic field, it's Magnetic flux

For a dynamic magnetic field, it's covered in electrodynamics, like Maxwell's equations, and it's not as simple.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by POPtheKlEEN89
i know what are all of us oatmeal brains thinking?? god forbid the churning core generating the magnetic field have properties that we are yet to understand! oh and for you smart guys who say theyre just representations bla bla bla babble bla...

Popthekleen, magnetic fields are real. Magnetic "field lines" aren't. Any more than the outlines of states on a map are actually painted on the ground somewhere. It's a visualization tool.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by butcherguy
I need to ask again.

Magnetic Flux

For a static magnetic field, it's Magnetic flux

For a dynamic magnetic field, it's covered in electrodynamics, like Maxwell's equations, and it's not as simple.
Can you provide a physical description of either one?

Looking for things like color, density, size.... if it's a particle.

Wavelength and amplitude if it is a wave.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join