It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the best place for a DNA/Ancestry test?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
My family and me have recently come to the conclusion that we should get a DNA test done as we have unearthed possibilities of multiple ethnicities in our ancestry, however i am not sure about which organisation is most trustworthy for this and also which company is able to pin point exactly what races i have in me not just the continents my ancestors are from...So any ideas ATS.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
im interested in this too, hope someone comes along soon and answers you
2nd

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I am an orphan. This topic is of interest to me too. Would love to know. I had brief contact with my biological mother who said I was 50% Cherokee Indian. Thanks for staring this thread I am very interested.
I guess no one has any interest in this topic. Well its been on my mind and if I get it done I will let you know the best way to go about it.
edit on 7/7/2011 by Rhutabega because: Nobody posting. Trying to gather Interest

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Maccaron.Shakaron

There are several places you can get a test, and a range of prices. The critical thing is the number of markers.

Take a look at Ancestry.com

You might also look at this one: www.smgf.org... or Family Tree DNA

Just to give you an idea on a 37 marker comparison take a look here

I found many of my links 404d so i will check them out and get back to you.

ETA

For those in England you could use Oxford Ancestors, but they are not the most comprehensive. As I said if you are looking for family you NEED at least a 37 marker test. 15 markers is not sufficient.

There is another DNA testing company with headquarters in Dorset England called DNA Heritage. Their web site is:

dnaheritage.com

The smgf one I linked above is recommended by the people who run the database that I gave you the link to the 37 marker comparison, and they also recommend dnaheritage.com in England.

edit on 12/7/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhutabega

Lots of info - see above this post. I was adopted so I know where you are coming from.

Hope this helps. I am not a genealogist but please ask me questions. If I can help I will. I spent 10 years finding my birth mother (successfully) so I have picked up a bit of info on the way.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Looks as if the Dorset one now links to Family Tree DNA so just go to that one.

It is amazing how quick links change!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks for the info mate.

top topics

join