Whats the best place for a DNA/Ancestry test?

page: 1

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:00 AM
My family and me have recently come to the conclusion that we should get a DNA test done as we have unearthed possibilities of multiple ethnicities in our ancestry, however i am not sure about which organisation is most trustworthy for this and also which company is able to pin point exactly what races i have in me not just the continents my ancestors are from...So any ideas ATS.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:11 PM
im interested in this too, hope someone comes along soon and answers you

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 02:19 PM
I am an orphan. This topic is of interest to me too. Would love to know. I had brief contact with my biological mother who said I was 50% Cherokee Indian. Thanks for staring this thread I am very interested.
I guess no one has any interest in this topic. Well its been on my mind and if I get it done I will let you know the best way to go about it.
edit on 7/7/2011 by Rhutabega because: Nobody posting. Trying to gather Interest

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:47 PM
reply to post by Maccaron.Shakaron

There are several places you can get a test, and a range of prices. The critical thing is the number of markers.

Take a look at Ancestry.com

You might also look at this one: www.smgf.org... or Family Tree DNA

Just to give you an idea on a 37 marker comparison take a look here

I found many of my links 404d so i will check them out and get back to you.

For those in England you could use Oxford Ancestors, but they are not the most comprehensive. As I said if you are looking for family you NEED at least a 37 marker test. 15 markers is not sufficient.

There is another DNA testing company with headquarters in Dorset England called DNA Heritage. Their web site is:

The smgf one I linked above is recommended by the people who run the database that I gave you the link to the 37 marker comparison, and they also recommend dnaheritage.com in England.

edit on 12/7/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 05:58 PM
reply to post by Rhutabega

Lots of info - see above this post. I was adopted so I know where you are coming from.

Hope this helps. I am not a genealogist but please ask me questions. If I can help I will. I spent 10 years finding my birth mother (successfully) so I have picked up a bit of info on the way.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 06:09 PM
Looks as if the Dorset one now links to Family Tree DNA so just go to that one.

It is amazing how quick links change!

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 02:19 AM
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks for the info mate.

top topics