It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My theory about cops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Well, I have a theory about cops in general. It never fails, for me anyway, that smaller towns have cops are almost exactly like that cliche you grew up hearing about. They're sticklers for the rules more, but they're always very polite and don't have that on-edge vibe about them.

State troopers, though, are scary; there's just no other way to put it. I know several vets who did two or three tours in the middle east, and state troopers give off the same general vibes.

My question is whether a lot of these police brutality things you hear about aren't actually rooted in the officer having PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder, also known as shell-shock). Think about the things these people see, especially the ones from bigger cities; I imagine that after a certain amount of time, you'd have to be inhuman to be unaffected.

Now, many smaller town cops would not see the body parts of small children being collected for evidence or grisly things of that nature, so it makes sense that they would not be so on-edge. Obviously, I know that not all staties, big city cops, and vets have PTSD; I'm merely seeing a similarity and musing about a correlation.

I found this article kind of interesting on the subject of LEOs and PTSD:
link

edit on 11-7-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

Cops have an extremely tough job...understand that first.
As a guy who has been arrested many times and never had a problem with cops......I really don't understand all the cop haters here.

Heres my theory on cops.
Give them the control.
Be nice.
Be honest.
Don't mouth off.
Don't scream about your rights....it just puts them on edge.

The last time i got stopped...I waived my rights and was a decent honest person who was in the wrong and they let me go...HMMMMMMM Imagine that keyboard warriors??
The cop even fought a bit to his partner that we had an agreement and not to mess with that agreement or he was gonna make his word look like CRAP!(verbatum...my words not his.)
All a man has is his word and he was good to his word.
They have a tough job folks....quit being internet warriors and get real.

edit on 11-7-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Well, you certainly may have presented a reason for the rise in police brutality, but this is no excuse, nor does it justify their actions.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Soooooo...as long as I don't stand up for my rights, I shouldn't expect to be treated with respect when confronted by a cop?

Interesting...

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

State Troopers and big city cops feed off of the fear of the citizens they are sworn to protect. Most of them were picked on in high school, and now feel the need to take that out on you because you were going 11 mph over the speed limit. I have no use for cops. I have never or will never call the cops for anything. I am more than capable of taking care of myself and protecting myself and my family without the "help" from cops.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Well I live in a village of around 1,500 people and a couple of the cops here have had multiple harassment reports filed against them. I've even dealt with one of these guys countless times, myself. He acts like a jackass because his dad is a church pastor and gives him an infinitely good reputation. So he can get away with abusing his power because everyone thinks he's clean and upstanding... pfft.

By the way, I've always been VERY respectful toward this rogue officer and was always careful not to give him a reason to hate me. He's just a child with a gun.

edit on 7/11/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/11/2011 by BirdOfillOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

What rise?
Post info please.
Its been the same as it has always been...we just have the internet now.

It is my opinion that the people on these boards who whine about the cops have either.....
1.Never dealt with them.
2.Did deal with them but were mouthy and thought the cops were being rude.

3.Screamed for your rights which you knew nothing about...but thought you did til you talked to a lawyer.
4.Are just keyboard warriors with no experience.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Live real life and not a keyboard one.
I waived my rights while i was in the wrong and as my first post said....i walked away.
Scream for your rights and see what happens...its great to be idealistic instead of having experience isn't it??

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Alternatively it could be because society puts these animals on a pedestal, absolves them of ALL wrongdoing, and gratefully hands over their rights and powers to the cops, allowing hte police to make life-and-death decisions regatding people on the street.

Prisoners get PTSD; the people who put them in prisons just have a power trip.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

There is a difference between knowing and exercising your rights and being a [insert term for slightly poking yourself with a pin]

One gets you treated with respect as both parties will usually interact in a professional manner. The other just gets everyone wound up and agitated.

If I walk up to a car and get "WTF did you pull me over for you Nazi effin pig?!?!?!" chances are I will not be inclined to give a warning LOL

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SFA437
reply to post by nunya13
[more
If I walk up to a car and get "WTF did you pull me over for you Nazi effin pig?!?!?!" chances are I will not be inclined to give a warning LOL

Simple isn't it??
Respect goes along way?
Yes??

edit on 11-7-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Hmmm, there's something about a high percentage of state troopers/police being shot during traffic stops on major roadways.

Think that might have something to do with it? Wouldn't you be a little edgy if every time you walked up to a car you might get your brains blown all over the interstate?

Time to grow up, youngster.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

16f.) Private Messages: You will not use the private messaging system to send mass messages to multiple member accounts. All private messages are subject to the Terms and Conditions of Use and the Terms and Conditions of Membership. Violations will result in immediate account termination. You also agree that Private Messages are confidential. You will not post or publically display messages received from TAN, their agents, or any other members, in any way, without the written permission of the author. TAN, at their discretion, may review the content of your private messages when, and only when, complaints are received from the recipient(s) of your messages.

edit on 7/11/2011 by Mirthful Me because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join