It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mermaids - Real or not?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I call fake. But you never know.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
That's no mermaid dude :O

That's a sea troll

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Fake?

How astute.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
And to think I used to have a crush on Ariel.

Back to Cinderella for me.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well, if it's fake someone has a lot of spare time to waste.

If it's real, where are they from, where are they now and how does one person get photos of all of these when others get none?

Undecided. Wanting it to be real while at the same time thinking there is no possibility of their existence.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Made me laugh with that comment!

Frame 2 looked like Michael Jackson....scary. The rest looked like very good sculptures made of plaster in some cases, resin in others. I can't see how all of them could be real, given the extreme variance in type, with some looking human and others looking very inhuman. Of course I think they are all fake. I have yet to see anything that makes me think mermaids are anything other than the product of human imagination. Centaurs, however, are real. You can see people in any town late at night, staggering out of bars, being complete horses' rears.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
You have seen how dolfins like to swim and jump by ships.
well in the 1700 plus you would be at sea for 2 years.
lots of men on a ship No females!
then they see prity dolfins!

same with sea monsters.
in the old days whales use't to sink ships!
Now? they would never hurt a man.
um! most of the time.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
You would be surprised what people can do with money and time. In the movie industry before cgi that was all props and paint jobs. They used to make carvings or sculptures out of plastic or rubber. I think it looks like a vampire, a werewolf , frankenstein or Cerebus.
just kidding

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
There was something i read awhile ago, or maybe saw on Ripley's, not sure, anyway, moral of the story, Carnies used to deliberately make these mystery beings, goblins, mermaids, mutants, 2 headed cows, mandogs etc by either combing parts of humans and animals after they were dead or by carving / making them out of normal materials. I call fake and to look for the closest carnival of where these were "found".

Also i thought air and oils where needed to mummify a body??

Unless off course a DR has done an autopsy on these and we have DNA evidence they are unique?

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Sorry, Shauny , sarcastic . My friend had a minor problem with you and I thought I saw you on a different after posted thread. Just checked this and forgot everything might be under microscope or everyone could see this my friend knows and thinks I am him.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

IMO I believe that at one point all these mythological creatures were indeed real (maybe their appearances stretched through years of story telling) so perhaps some of these pictures are real, but as with most of these videos it's doubtful

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Most mermaids in the video are the work of "rogue taxidermists" (AKA people with too much spare animal parts and too much time on their hands...
). They have their origin from the Fiji Mermaid - probably the most famous rogue taxidermy work.

Most of them also made an appearance on ATS some time or another - Random example.

The concept of the mermaid is very interesting... I wouldn't put them in the "impossible basket", but we're yet to see any convincing proof. The fact that many ancient cultures such as early Eastern, Chinese, British, Philippine, Caribbean (and many more) cultures all have variable stories of mermaids tell us that there may be more than we'd like to believe... I don't buy the "lonely seamen saw manatees and thought they were pretty fish girls" explanation. You'd have to be blind to confuse manatees - fat, ugly creatures - with beautiful young girls wanting to enchant you with their songs...

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
glad your keeping an open mind dude,,

hows this for size.. history becomes legend, legend becomes myth...

could this be be where the story of 'mermaids' originate from??- www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 11/7/11 by WHOS READY because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
haha
cheers for the replies.
As I said I dont think it was real, but one can never tell.
We are still young as a species in our understanding of our world and our universe.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files recently aired this episode where they were in Australia looking for an alleged mermaid that was filmed (I'm sure you can find the episode or said video clip on YouTube). After providing information as to how the video clip could have been faked, they had a 3D artist digitally render a mermaid based on what science would say they would look like. Based on their renditions, they would have really thick skin due to the salt water content and due to the fact that humans could not stay in water temperatures below 98.6º (I am not sure if this number is correct). The 3D image basically looked like a Dugong. I am not sure where these tales of beautiful mermaids come from, but I certainly don't think they exist.
edit on 12-7-2011 by beauty from pain because: spelling

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Take a look at this footage.
edit on 12-7-2011 by CharlesBronson because: video not working

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CharlesBronson

Your link did not work.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

very good for eating.
up there with prime rib and crab legs.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This is definitely fake, I read up on this thing years ago when I first saw it floating around the internet. It piqued my interest, but it turns out an artist made it for pretty much advertising purposes.

I'm not saying they aren't real, but this particular one has been said to be a hoax.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by andriod

You guys should research the Orford Castle Merman story.

www.hiddenengland.com.ar...

Pretty weird story.

He and the jailers tried time and time again to question this 'merman' but the creature only uttered grunts and strange noises. They noted that when he was fed raw fish he would squeeze the water out of them into his hands and then drink it. Bartholomew de Gladville became frustrated at the creature's silence and he had the merman tortured by hanging him upside down by his ankles. Despite this ill treatment the merman still did not (or could not?) talk and eventually his jailers gave up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join