It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why "whale wars" is run by idiots......

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
For someone trying to save whales from possible extinction to poachers, the cast of that show put so much money into near useless things, ignoring that the animal they are trying to save is one of the smartest on the planet. Its one of the few that can communicate

how many years have we been studying the magnificent applications of sonar, and been amazed at how well whales and dolphins can communicate and think? How would it be so dificult to learn what the whale call is for "DANGER! RUN AWAY!!!"!?! How much cheaper would that be than getting grenades thrown at you, shot at, sprayed with firehoses, and held on the ship that you boarded and tried to be a sabateur? not to mention the "state of the art" tech.

you people are idiots, and if you arent purposefully creating a dangerous environment for drama (oh how soulless that would be) why not use the whales to their own advantage?

imagine having mounted underwater speakers, you find a japanese whaling vessel, trying to poach. you start broadcasting your recording warning, and i bet you could be 500m away and the whales would still get the picture. people love them for their intelligence, why are they not using that factor?

cmon people... fight smart, not hard.. you wanna play pirate, get rid of the tv cameras and navy seal people. Or you could use strategy and technology to actually make a difference. i bet a fleet of the boats proposed above could destroy whaling entirely.

but hey, im supposedly a conspiracy theorist.. by definition i am instantly discredited, so ignore all that common sense

what you think?
animalplanet.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
You dont need to tell the whale to run away ,they already know when someone is hunting them.
They are too fat and slow to get away .Sort of like if the aliens started hunting humans ,The Dolphin type people would have a good chance of escape but the whale type people would be Toast. Do you really want that third cheeseburger?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
by the time they realize they are being hunted, one has been harpooned. they go by boats constantly, just like dolphin people. they dive fast, but they never get a forewarning. it looks like all the other freightors that they like to swim up to

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I have seen this show like twice and I can tell you that I admire the restraint of the Japanese Captain’s.

In international waters a hostile force attempting to board one's vessel can and if it were me would be summarily shot and thrown into the water.

Further any action by the dumb asses in the little zodiacs zipping around the front of my hull would be seen as an overt and hostile attempt to hazard my vessel and I would intentionally ram the crap out of them - dump them in the sea and run full throttle over their bodies.

While I respect the Sea Sheppard’s goals - they are idiots of the first order. They are also engaged in piracy in boarding other vessels and interfering with their legal right to ply their trade.

I would love just once for some Captain to ram the crap out of the Sheppard in one of those huge fishing vessels and film it as it sinks into the cold sea.

edit on 10/7/2011 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
If they are willing to die to save the whales why resort to high school pranks like stink bombs .If you are goingto do something real to save the whales ...mount a deck gun and sink the ships ... quit playing around !
OP does have a valid question..why not try to speak to the whale...or make so much underwater noise that the whales run away..if that dosent work ...deck gun

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GenerationXisMarching

If they keep swimming up to boats they cant be communicating too well,didnt they get the sonar wave ,about the dangers of boats.Nothing against whales but when your up against people smart enough to build Nuclear reactors
Then your going to have to lift your game.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Legal right? You must have missed the fact that it is illegal in the whale sanctuary. Sea Sheppard claims to enforce the law and technically they do.

I think a deck gun would be fun. But obviously they can't use violence or they would be shut down. And the idea that there is a whale emergency call one could broadcast underwater is pure imagination. Whales can't outrun ships anyway, nor hide from modern electronics.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

when someone tries it, you might be wrong. animals will always find a way to surprise you. isnt anything that was ever invented, including your precious technology started with pure imagination?

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

no comment on any japanes nuclear joke....thats just cruel

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

I think the Sea Shepard gets it's maritime license from the Dutch,... and they have put big restrictions on what kind of tactics they can use without loosing it.

Plus the producers of the show want to milk every engagement for ratings...

Paul Watson supposedly left Greenpeace because they weren't militant enough... but he seems like a wimp now...
edit on 10-7-2011 by coastlinekid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I agree, it is a stupid way to go about saving anything.

All I see are more people profiting on the hunting of whales. Profiting by exploitation in the disguise of wanting to help.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveRLegal right? You must have missed the fact that it is illegal in the whale sanctuary. Sea Sheppard claims to enforce the law and technically they do.

Unless they have been commissioned as some kind of sanctuary enforcer and given the lawful authority to interfere with the commerce and lawful operation of other vessels at sea they are just pirates.

Not all countries are signatories to the international establishment of the sanctuary. The Captain's of the target vessels have the right to defend their ships and crew with lethal force if necessary regardless of the Sea Sheppard’s interpretation of their actions. Like with a home invasion in the US - if the winner is the only living witness there is not much to dispute IMO. Kill a few and see how dedicated they are after they fill a few body bags.

If they want to do something - film the activity and take the offenders to the international court.

Anything else is unlawful piracy on the high seas. Even the sophomoric pranks they use.
Fouling a ship’s engines with lines in the open ocean hazards the ship and the crew and anyone passing through as they have no way to steer. Stink bombs can easily kill a crew member with allergies or knock him overboard - almost a death sentence. Finally boarding a vessel underway without being invited on board is piracy and I wouldn't wait to see what they wanted and listen to their demands the punks would be in the water with a .50 cal hole in their chest in about 10 seconds. All I'd need to show is them boarding to win in court.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GisfridMaillor
I agree, it is a stupid way to go about saving anything.

All I see are more people profiting on the hunting of whales. Profiting by exploitation in the disguise of wanting to help.

Good point
In rateings ..just like in the news..If it bleeds it leads..and the whales bleed

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

Originally posted by SteveRLegal right? You must have missed the fact that it is illegal in the whale sanctuary. Sea Sheppard claims to enforce the law and technically they do.

Unless they have been commissioned as some kind of sanctuary enforcer and given the lawful authority to interfere with the commerce and lawful operation of other vessels at sea they are just pirates.

How can Sea Shepherd and her crew be interfering with the Japanese commerce if the Japanese whalers are only doing "research"? If Sea Shepherd's crew is interfering with Japanese commerce, then the Japanese are illegally killing whales for commerce, not research........................think about it................
edit on 10-7-2011 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I agree that Whale Wars is idiotic. It drove me to eat whale meat for the first time out of protest of their operation. If I wasn't in the United States right now, I would eat it again to reinstate my dislike of Whale Wars.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoyalBlueHow can Sea Shepherd and her crew be interfering with the Japanese commerce if the Japanese whalers are only doing "research"? If Sea Shepherd's crew is interfering with Japanese commerce, then the Japanese are illegally killing whales for commerce, not research........................think about it................
edit on 10-7-2011 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)

While I can see how taking one word and focusing on it might seem some sort of neato triumph to you as it fits your world view, I think you missed the point.

I meant commerce as in the legal operation of the ship in international waters - which is not surprisingly done for profit. The ship is operated for profit – that is the legal commerce to which I refer.

You assumed that I would blindly stumble into admitting that they are in fact hunting whales for the purpose of profit. You are wrong.

They are not illegally killing the whales - they are taking a certain number each year that their government allows and then selling the byproducts of that research to offset their costs by using all parts of the whale so as to waste things.

The Sheppard and its crew are pirates by any definition.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

For one, science has advanced far enough that "killing" whales for research now is no longer necessary. Just the sheer number of whales they kill for "research" is just obscene, totally obsurb in the highest degree! If it were true research, exactly what are they researching that they kill thousands of whales each, every year, for decades ????? You mean, they haven't found their answer yet ???!!! That they really are that stupid ??? Or that criminal???

How about the "gifts' of whale meat they give to top officials in exchange for favors???

Or how they tried to buy votes "in favor of", in the international community, from countries who have no personal opinion of or interest in whaling in general ???

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoyalBlueFor one, science has advanced far enough that "killing" whales for research now is no longer necessary. Just the sheer number of whales they kill for "research" is just obscene, totally obsurb in the highest degree! If it were true research, exactly what are they researching that they kill thousands of whales each, every year, for decades ????? You mean, they haven't found their answer yet ???!!! That they really are that stupid ??? Or that criminal???

How about the "gifts' of whale meat they give to top officials in exchange for favors???

Or how they tried to buy votes "in favor of", in the international community, from countries who have no personal opinion of or interest in whaling in general ???

Once again - the point is not if we agree with them or their stance - it is if they have the right as a sovereign nation to do as they wish without hurting any people or infringing on the rights of other vessels or nations on the high seas or international waters.

The Sheppard can do as it wishes also - up to the point they start hazarding other vessels and crews at sea. Then they cross into the realm of piracy and should be dealt with harshly.

It is just good for them that the Japanese for the most part after their involvement in WWII are very pacifist in nature.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Yes deep base under water speakers are a great idea.
What music would you play? heavy metal, goth?
whats that song in the alien film that makes there heads pop!
and killer tomatos got killed of by bad music!
If it works USE IT.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Whalers should face the same treatment they share with the whales..

Be well
edit on 7/11/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join