It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reversal of black economic gains

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5
To me it feels about right

...doesnt to me... there are millions of homeless folks and a lot of them are white... so, how could the white median income be so high?... maybe the homeless werent included in the stats...

and What of the EPI would they put out such dubious info?

...they're a think tank with a predominately white board - so, its possible...
...i wonder who their benefactors are...

...my disbelief issue isnt with epi but with the data source they used... i couldnt find any info on the standards used by the federal reserve data collectors and thats really important in determining the viablity of the statistics...

...its like these polls you see everywhere... the story is told as if the poll is indicative of all citizens - but - then you read the fine print and it says only 1500 people were polled...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
Statistics don’t lie,

...correct - numbers dont have tongues...

...however, statistics can be falsified and often are...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

...poverty most certainly does lessen a person's opportunities... not only does it increase mortality rates due to crime and lack of good medical care, public schools in impoverished areas do NOT offer the quality of education thats offered in areas that are not impoverished...

Wyn, what do you mean, "the quality of education?" Are you saying that the teachers in the impoverished areas are sub-par? Perhaps it's not the quality of education, but the refusal of students to respect the opportunity they have for learning and the parents' failure to instill in their kids the importance of an education. I do not want to try to paint the impoverished population with a broad brush, however, because I understand that there are plenty of parents who are doing the best they can. However, you are talking to someone who lives in a city that has been named "America's #1 Most Miserable City to Live In" by Forbes Magazine two of the past three years. Our community is very racially diverse and has several neighborhoods that are rife with gangs, poverty, and crime.

Please understand where I'm coming from here. I worked in the criminal justice system for fifteen years and half of that was as a police officer in my county. So, in this regard, I have seen up close and personal what goes on in these types of neighborhoods. In fact, I even had to attend a school in one of these neighborhoods in the 70's when our district implemented "desegregation." The reality that I witnessed was that inability to acquire a decent education by the low income and/or minority population had nothing to do with the quality of teachers or the subject matter being taught. It had everything to do with the lack of discipline, empathy towards education, and lack of respect for teachers and peers, on the part of the students. Where do these behaviors begin? They begin at home.

This country has raised generations of people expecting to have the government foot their bill. Many impoverished people of ALL races have chosen a lifestyle that consists of pumping out babies with disregard for the future consequences or how they will support them financially because the government is right there throwing more money at them. They say this is due to lack of education. I disagree. How much education does a person have to have to see that the more babies you have, the more disadvantaged your family is gonna be if you can't provide for your family already? This isn't about oppression of the blacks anymore. It's about the blacks' refusal to stop blaming their problems on other races. Plenty of black people in this country have risen out of poverty to become great contributors to their communities. I'm sorry, but every individual has to start taking responsibility for their future.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

...its like these polls you see everywhere... the story is told as if the poll is indicative of all citizens - but - then you read the fine print and it says only 1500 people were polled...

Exactly.....

I have always been leery of statistics and polls. They can always be swayed one way or another and no one really has any way of proving their validity.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
Unfortunately, people here are so racist they can’t see it in themselves.
Statistics don’t lie, and all those who are blaming black people for the historical DOCUMENTED pernicious system of racism in America as being mostly to blame for the their own sad economic status are putting their head in the sand and dealing with the issue emotionally not rationally.

The statistics are mind-boggling: medium income for whites at 97, 000 and blacks a little over 2000 speaks for itself and all the loud and rude noise of some can’t erase the implications of these statistics.

It depends on who compiles the statistics, doesn't it?

Do some research on Jesse Washington (the author of the article). He's far from an unbiased source.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Net worth is mostly delegated to house value since Americans on average have a negative savings (more debt than cash, more expense than income) .. White's have a higher "net worth" because they own a larger portion of their homes.. they have equity, combined with theoretical equity (this is the perceived value of what you could sell your home for) blacks were equal because they typically own homes in large cities where home values accelerated at a faster pace. This lead to blacks having a higher theoretical value on their home through appreciation while having none in actual equity (loan to value ratio). This was actually caused by policies under Clinton and Bush that pushed banks and federally backed loaners to loan at 0% interest ARMS to minorities.. minority activist claimed banks discriminated against blacks for their credit. When the housing market crashed nearly all of the black net worth was wiped out, and as a race have the highest level of foreclosure because of ARM resets.

Self inflicted disaster.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Yes but a median income is a statistical average. That is what it shows. I seem to remember something about a poisson distribution from my college stats days. So all the stats indicate is that there average figure for a population is say $X. What the article did not state was the std deviation from the median income or to put it simply the width of the area under the curve.

Look at it this way If the average white height is 5ft 4 inches then it is no good for anyone to come to argue with me that they may be 5ft 4 ½ inches tall and their two uncle were 6ft 1. Because what is clear is that the averages do not lie. There are within the Poisson distribution as are those people who are 5 ft tall.

Perhaps Mr Washington should have discussed statistics and their meaning but given the perilous state of US numeracy I don’t think it would have worked assuming that he felt confident to write in that area.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Clearly there is a disproportionate effect at work here between the races. As he put it the problem may have been caused by people rushing to work in Government jobs. If this was the case well they have suffered the consequences. Don’t forget setting up your own business at a time when skin colour signified access to Capital and business services was hardly reasonable.

I posted the link as there are clear implication for EVERYONE as we seem a bit nearer to crazy and dangerous government. It also turns the tables on the old stereo types about Black people that is carefully maintained by someone ATS.

I am by nature a person happy with intelligent debate. I have no interest in censoring anyone on ATS. I fail to see why some people feebly seek to censor ant topic on race that does not comply with their skewed views. Frankly I cannot remember forcing any to read this thread at all.

If you search for Jesse Washing on ATS you will see that he wrote about the fake panthers with nightsticks affair.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
The Hopey Mopey Changey rope a dope was found to be lacking in its effect.

So TPB by releasing such disparate so-called statistics of dubious pedigree are back to same old same old which is promoting class distinctions by racial divide.

I contend that the numbers put forth are very bogus.

Basically as a whole the entire middle class is DYING.

Don't fall for this dividing tactic for if you do you are being controlled and programmed for racial dissension which allows TPB to maintain power.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
After sifting through the first page of off topic posts, I wonder this.

If blacks are at such a disadvantage, I question why our public and free libraries aren't overflowing with them trying to get a better shot at being something more than moronic. That's why they aren't getting hired right? If blacks rushed the libaries and developed a thirst for knowledge, they would blow the pizza eating, beer guzzling, dumbed down whites out of the water.

Public School System
Library
Welfare
Food Stamps
Financial School Aid
Direct Financial Aid
ect..

Basically, if you don't make enough money it's your fault or you are disabled. Anything else is called an excuse, and they don't pay well.
edit on 2011/7/11 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Why no mention of the players and the forces they employ to maintain the status quo for the black population.

These people have rooted their careers and livelihoods in the oppression and manipulation of an entire race of innocent people in a land that is supposed to be free of such madness.

The players I'm referring to are the likes of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and their liberal counterparts in DC. They keep their jobs through oppression and the entitlement programs used to feed this oppressive cycle. Their worst enemies are career minded and successful black families who have reached the reality check and can see the manipulation of the past 40 to 50 years.

The oppression, entitlement programs and the us vs. them mentality game will ensure a dedicated base of voters to keep "The Dream" of the progressive left alive. A Dream that would be MLK's nightmare if he were alive to see it today.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

posttrib.suntimes.com...

It shows for example that median net worth of white households was $134,280 pa and that for black households was $134,450, which already puts paid to certain tiresome racial stereotypes put out on ATS.

Sorry, but I just can't let this mis-quote slide. It would be helpful if you would have used the actual figures in the article.

the median net worth of white households was $134,280, compared with $13,450 for black households, according to an analysis of Federal Reserve data by the Economic Policy Institute.

That's a $121,000 error in your proof that blacks used to make an equal amount of money. I don' t know if this was a flat out twisting of the truth or an honest mis-quote but I don't see how you can overlook a mistake like that and use it as the basis for a deceleration that blacks were equal to whites in income before Obama was President.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Tiger5:

Others have pointed the incorrect portion of your post as I will also:

$134,280, compared with $13,450 for black households

From your source.
Thoughts OP?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join