It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reversal of black economic gains

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I thought that I would provide a link to an excellent article that on the reality of black unemployment in these troubling times by Jesse Washington AP national writer. What is particularly useful is there are statistics to back up the arguments.

posttrib.suntimes.com...

The article stretches from the sixties and the period of rising black prosperity to the present day and looks at the great recession of 2007 to 2009. It shows for example that median net worth of white households was $134,280 pa and that for black households was $134,450, which already puts paid to certain tiresome racial stereotypes put out on ATS. The statistics are credible as they were prepared by the Economic Policy Institute. It is very clear to me that once the decades - long road to genuine equal opportunities started in the late 1960s economic progress followed.

By 2009 the median white households had fallen from $97,860 to whilst median black income had fallen to $2,170 which is a scary statistic. Even the most bigoted idiot on ATS should be scared as this could lead to social unrest which could lead to bad and ill thought out laws targeted to quell black social unrest BUT WILL TO USED AGAINST THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AS A WHOLE, as history has shown.

The article also points out that at least on black academic and commentator on racial issues views Obama as a sock puppet and no savior of black people. Anyway rather than seek to summarise what should not be summarised I urge that the original article be read in full.

Of course the big question would be what will people do to reverse this problem. I am not indifferent to whites as we are all suffering together even if you wear and onlt bedsheet with a hood. It just looks like black people in the USA may be the canary in the coalmine for the USA as a whole.

Rgds to all

Tiger5

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I've had it with this #. We have a black president now, so what's the excuse this time? "Black man keepin' me down"?

Blacks are oppressed, blacks are being held down, blacks have it tough. We all have it tough, so stop crying about racism or prejudice.

Slavery ended 146 years ago.
Holocaust ended 66 years ago.

The Jews got their # together and aren't whining up a storm.
edit on 7/10/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Why didn't you read the article? You are not really responding to it . Perhaps you may even learn something beneficial. Did you see the bit about the possibilty of draconian laws?? If anyone believes that Obama is out to save the Black people that is fine but you also should buy a bridge from me (lol).

Seriously, try reading the article by clicking the link.

Remember closed minds learn nothing

Best wishes

T

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

Read the article. I stand by what I said in my previous post... EVERYTHING that was said in that article could be applied to white families as well. What, you think black people are the only ones losing their jobs and houses? Yeah, right.

I firmly believe most inner city blacks don't WANT to work. I've felt this way ever since I accidentally drove through a bona fide ghetto in Hartford, CT. I saw HUNDREDS of black people in their 20s-30s at a basketball court in the middle of the day. Why weren't they looking for jobs?

Anyways, I fully expect someone to come in and make this an "EXTREME VIOLATION" because you know, this is racist!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Wow! You actually drove through a ghetto and lived to tell the tale?? You could have been mugged or even made to dance to rap music!!!!!

Whatever you believe must be supported as a democratic right. However the factually accuracy and implications of your belief require consideration as part of civilised debate.

Where did I say that white rights were immaterial?

Didn’t the article indicate that white wages fell by 25% since the great recession. The subject was black people. Hence it did not dwell on white people. Perhaps you believe that Black people should just go to the back of the bus and/ or become invisible.

For my 2cts you should not be censured even though you may be deliberately offensive however this is not my personal website.

Rgds

T

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

That article only stated white wages fell 25% so that they could use it as comparison to black wages.

I knew I was going to be called racist for my post. In reality, articles like this are the reason there IS still racism in America... or the illusion of it. "Oh crap, everyone's starting to see black people as equals! Put out an article claiming they make less money. We gotta keep this illusion of oppression alive!".

It's almost like liberals can't sleep at night unless they have someone to feel sorry for...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
...hey, tiger - you've got a discrepancy in your op... you wrote:

It shows for example that median net worth of white households was $134,280 pa and that for black households was $134,450,

...but the article states:

posttrib.suntimes.com...

In 2004, the median net worth of white households was $134,280, compared with $13,450 for black households, according to an analysis of Federal Reserve data by the Economic Policy Institute. By 2009, the median net worth for white households had fallen 24 percent to $97,860; the median black net worth had fallen 83 percent to $2,170, according to the EPI.

...see?...

...the article's numbers are SO much worse and, frankly, i dont believe any of it because of the source - federal reserve data, which has puked out all kinds of bs since its inception...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Well I read the article but frankly don't see what you are asking for. Sure the numbers prove that Blacks are being hit harder than Whites and i'm sure Native Americans have been hit harder than Blacks.

It's simply a matter of saying it's time for it to turn around for everyone. Unless you are implying that we should change laws to give Blacks a bigger advantage I see this as nothing more than an information post.

Thanks for the information I guess.
edit on 10-7-2011 by kro32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

edit on 10-7-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Well sorry but I am getting on and you must not mock us oldsters. I still have my own teeth you know..

Seriously you are right and this is my first thread after all of these years of membership.

Rgds

Frank

PS thanks for reading the article

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Well I am not asking for anything because frankly i do not have the solution. I am not a great fan of affirmative action but support genuine equality. As for the native Americans I fully agree with you and the whole thing was attrocious. I suppose that a wrong turn was made when people took government jobs hence the disproportionate effect on the median income.

I am worried about the civil unrest and the possibility of far reaching and draconian laws.

Rgds

T

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

They do have an advantage, it's called affirmative action. If a black person can't find a job with such a MASSIVE advantage, it's their own damn fault.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

Since the end of the recession, the overall unemployment rate has fallen from 9.4 to 9.1 percent, while the black unemployment rate has risen from 14.7 to 16.2 percent, according to the Department of Labor.

So, OP, what are you suggesting is the reason for this disparity between the numbers? What are you saying?

Less and less am I buying into the theory that blacks are experiencing the oppression that is alleged by some. Black neighborhoods have public schools, just like every other neighborhood. In my opinion, blacks have been given every opportunity to pursue education and careers of their choice, just like everyone else. What is holding them back? They are, that's who.

Are you stating that these stats, if true, are suggestive of blacks being fired before whites or other races when companies downsize?

This is the year 2011. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying this stuff anymore. Every American has equal opportunities. Your earlier comment to the other member about preferring blacks sit in the back of the bus is unwarranted. People need to take responsibility for their own lives here in America. People who want to succeed will. Everyone gets hit with hard times at some point in their life. How they choose to handle it is what determines their future.
edit on 10-7-2011 by NightGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

...no worries, frank... i'm an oldster too... on some days, i'm closer to decrepit...

...btw, over the past decade there have been more minorities in the military than ever before... so, that too makes me doubt the validity of the numbers in the federal reserve data...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...hey, tiger - you've got a discrepancy in your op... you wrote:

It shows for example that median net worth of white households was $134,280 pa and that for black households was $134,450,

...but the article states:

posttrib.suntimes.com...

In

...see?...

...the article's numbers are SO much worse and, frankly, i dont believe any of it because of the source - federal reserve data, which has puked out all kinds of bs since its inception...

Well Even a broken clock is right twice a day. To me it feels about right and What of the EPI would they put out such dubious info? Just my thoughts.

T

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

Well you statistics in your article are a bit misleading. There are quite a few more wealth white individuals than blacks so when averaged out it will make the median white income seem alot higher than it is for the normal white family.

I don't believe you will see any unrest since in today's current state there is more similarity between whites and blacks financially than there is disparity. Plenty of poor white folk out there struggling just as hard.

Perhaps we will see a combination of poor (all races) revolting against the rich. This seems more plausible in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5
Well Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

A broken watch is still a #ty source.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Unfortunately, people here are so racist they can’t see it in themselves.
Statistics don’t lie, and all those who are blaming black people for the historical DOCUMENTED pernicious system of racism in America as being mostly to blame for the their own sad economic status are putting their head in the sand and dealing with the issue emotionally not rationally.

The statistics are mind-boggling: medium income for whites at 97, 000 and blacks a little over 2000 speaks for itself and all the loud and rude noise of some can’t erase the implications of these statistics.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
This is the year 2011. I'm sorry, but I'm not buying this stuff anymore. Every American has equal opportunities.

...poverty most certainly does lessen a person's opportunities... not only does it increase mortality rates due to crime and lack of good medical care, public schools in impoverished areas do NOT offer the quality of education thats offered in areas that are not impoverished...

Your earlier comment to the other member about preferring blacks sit in the back of the bus is unwarranted.

...considering the ridiculous hooey tiger was responding to, i think his statement was warranted...

People need to take responsibility for their own lives here in America.

...sometimes thats easier said than done...

People who want to succeed will.

...thats naive...

...there are many who are born into multi-generational poverty and/or welfare dependence... more often than not, its governmentally induced and that system indescriminately screws people of all races and combinations thereof...

Everyone gets hit with hard times at some point in their life. How they choose to handle it is what determines their future.

...sometimes you dont get a choice...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Will anyone EVER make a comment that doesn't accuse us of being racist just because we aren't on the side of the poor black folks? I personally love how you claim that "statistics don't lie" when the stats are in favor of the black population, but if I was to post the absolutely shocking black crime statistics, you would be screaming about how they aren't accurate...

I find it hard to believe that the average black HOUSEHOLD income is just over $2,000... I made more than $2,000 a year working part time and minimum wage at Wendy's in high school...

I used to live in Massachusetts, in a city that was mostly blacks and Puerto Ricans. When driving around, I noticed some things... EVERY single nice car (BMWs, Mercedes, Lexus', etc.) I ever saw in that town was driven by a black person, and I honestly never saw a black person in a car older than the current year's model. So don't tell me they've fallen on hard times, because it isn't true. Almost every old beater car I saw was driven by a white person... including mine.

I went into a car dealership in that town and applied for a loan, and they told me I needed to pay HALF up front. I was looking at a $14,000 car, and they wanted me to put $7,000 down. I don't have a single negative mark on my credit, and I DO have a credit history. While I was there I saw a black kid getting a $0 down car like it was no problem. The kid looked like he wasn't even out of high school.

So for you to tell ME black people have it tough is insulting and infuriating. The most discriminated class in America right now is the young white males.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join