It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am not a Conspiracy Theorist - I am a Civic Investigator.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I was watching an old episode of "Numb3rs" last night and it had to do with Conspiracy Theorists. One of the lines in the show was "I am not a Conspiracy Theorist - I am a Civic Investigator" and this got me thinking. The word "conspiracy" is seen, by the general public, in a negative light. It seems strange to me, that we would call ourselves something that shuts off the public from listening immediately, by associating ourselves with this word as a descriptive of what we do. I for one, am going to begin describing myself as a Civic Investigator.

How say Ye?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
A good idea!and it makes you sound smart lol
How much does a civic investigator get payed?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I am a Scientist.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

It does seem that everytime you say something about the government, people always jump on your back and say "oh great. It's another one of those" Then I look down at my System of a Down t-shirt and start drinking my non-commercialized homeade tea and can't help but to feel a little stereotyped.

Ha, but now I will only respond to Civil Investigator!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I think that's a very good idea.

Civic Investigator. Or even Cultural Investigator. It's got a nice ring to it.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
googling civic investigator. this thread is at the top lol

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I say. . .that's a conspiracy in itself!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
funny enough someone said something similar to the protestors in Athens and they chased him and kicked the living sh!t out of him and was rescued by the police riot squad stationed close by, now the problem was that such a term was interpreted as him being on a mission by the government to video tape all the activists.

So in short, i would be careful, very careful.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

I would say that is a good point. But wouldn't that be a misunderstanding between the words civil and civic?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Yes: Sanitation & Domestic Engineers had to fight for respect & dignity for too!

And while we're at it, let's come up with a more respectful title for this brave & very important American as well:

Of course I'm goofing with the above, but totally understand the dilemma we face when the term "Conspiracy Theorist" is bandied about by politicos and MSM goons as a low-blow to one's perceived credibility.
edit on 9-7-2011 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by IPILYA

I would say that is a good point. But wouldn't that be a misunderstanding between the words civil and civic?

when you have several thousand's of people that are on edge i somehow feel that the distinction between the two words is sure to be lost. Its why i said be careful.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

You make a good point and although I agree with IPILYA, as it is a misunderstanding of the difference, given the state of the education system that difference may be lost to immediate understanding. Thank you for bringing it into the discussion.

posted on Jul, 13 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Or how about "fact-gatherer", "truth-seeker, "realist"
The word "conspiracy" elicits smirks, scoffs, incredulity; a general explosion of blind opposition. I have often wondered how this came to be considering human history is rife with conspiratorial plots. Tack the word "theory" behind it and and you have a perfect combination nearly guaranteed to slaughter any critical examination on contact while conjuring up visions of tinfoil hats, and basement dwelling paranoids.
Anything is better than that label.

new topics

top topics

join