It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Selective memory does exist, say scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Selective memory does exist, say scientists

www.telegraph.co.uk

A study found that repressing these memories for long enough can lead to us erasing them completely.

Using EEG scans, scientists noted the parts of volunteers' brains which became active when actively trying to forget something.

They were also able to pinpoint the exact moment a memory is 'forgotten', and claim that long-term supression of a memory is a sure fire way of permanently erasing it.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I found this fascinating when I read it. I thought it would be just the kind of thing ATS would enjoy so here it is.

That said, and maybe I was reading into it too much, but I like to see another study done to see if they can see the difference between a memory being created or remembered. I remember quite a bit of debate over the veracity of hypnotically recalled memories.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
So if you deleted the memory, what ever was there no longer exists. I mean it's wiped out of history. So by your own thought to intentionally forget a memory, you have changed history! So why can't I invent a memory too? I can. We can. So yes, we construct reality from thought. Peace.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaykun

I don't really know why this is old news but this has been already verified in the field of psychology for almost a decade now. I still do see how its relevant (the actual physiology of what is happening in the brain).

Mesmer, Freud and another psychologist used various methods to dig into the subconscious mind. Hypnotism was shown to be effective to participants who are highly susceptible (not everyone can be hypnotized) for releasing these repressed memories in the subconscious that the person is not aware of, that actually has an effect on their consciousness. This releasing of repressed memories is called catharsis.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I read this about 10 minutes ago, went to get a cup of coffee, came back and I forgot what I was going to say.

Seriously, there are things in my past I wish I could forget, but I just can't. I can understand making a conscious effort to forget something, but for the life of me I don't understand how other people can do it.

And for the record, I don't think that just because you can forget something permanently that you changed history. All you changed was your ability to remember it.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Very interesting article and apparently provides a mechanism for purposely not recalling events. I've heard of and witnessed male selective hearing deficit disorder but this may explain some other things.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

I can see the claim that history was changed, but only in the local history of the individual forgetting.

Let's face it, what defines us is not what happens to us but how we process the experience and if a memory of an actual event is erased, then our personal history may have changed - actuality of events (history) may not have been altered but certainly the process of experiencing the event becomes lost to us and may change our personal history.

ganjoa

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaykun

I’ve never repressed a memory on purpose – at least not that I can recall (haha). However, due to actually dying for a few seconds back in ’06 I lost parts of my memory. I still can’t recall the week leading up to my illness and after I recovered there were huge holes in my memories of my past, but as time has passed I have recovered most of what I lost. It has been a very frustrating process. When you know you should know something but yet it is just out of your reach of recall. I can’t imagine wanting to lose a memory on purpose – memories are what makes us who we are – even the bad ones.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vaykun
That said, and maybe I was reading into it too much, but I like to see another study done to see if they can see the difference between a memory being created or remembered. I remember quite a bit of debate over the veracity of hypnotically recalled memories.
There was a study done in 1980 that confirmed selective memory, for people who believe in ESP. The people who believed in ESP tended to remember anything that supported their belief, and tended to forget things that contradicted their belief. Even more surprising, some actually distorted what they learned about evidence contrary to their belief, and not only forgot what they were told, but created a new memory that what they were told that contradicted their belief, actually supported it (when it didn't).

en.wikipedia.org...

One study showed how selective memory can maintain belief in extrasensory perception (ESP). Believers and disbelievers were each shown descriptions of ESP experiments. Half of each group were told that the experimental results supported the existence of ESP, while the others were told they did not. In a subsequent test, subjects recalled the material accurately, apart from believers who had read the non-supportive evidence. This group remembered significantly less information and some of them incorrectly remembered the results as supporting ESP.

-from Russell, Dan; Warren H. Jones (1980), "When superstition fails: Reactions to disconfirmation of paranormal beliefs", Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin (Society for Personality and Social Psychology)

So the people who didn't believe in ESP didn't display selective memory. I find this fascinating. I also keep this in mind when debating against anyone who believes in ESP (or other paranormal stuff) that no matter how good your argument or evidence is, the debate may be a hopeless cause if the believer will distort and possibly even create a false memory that your evidence against ESP actually supports it!
edit on 9-7-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Interesting thread OP, thanx for sharing- old news is often new news here. This was news to me.

I've heard of and witnessed male selective hearing deficit disorder

I dont know if this was meant to be funny, but it made me lol. I've noticed that too
It's probably not just a male thing but maybe more prevalent in males than females :p

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing this Vaykun.

I too find the subject of memory fascinating, particularly with respect to children who seem to be able to recall verifiable details of past lives.

I have often wondered what allows some to 'reach' back, but not others.

As another poster astutely noted, memory really makes us who we are and without it, reincarnating seems pointless.

I recognize these thoughts are a little off topic, but they do relate to memory. In my view, there's absolutely nothing more interesting than the mind.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I don't agree with this because I tend to remember everything.
Is this saying it's within my mental capability to surpress or rather, create a different memory in place of the one i'm erasing? How would we ever know what actually happened if everyones creating memories as they go?
And not even aware of it happening because it seems to sane....

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

Good point. I guess the part of our personal history that had changed the most was the fact that we consciously altered it. When we think of our own personal history there is always someone else in it having a hand in changing it with us. But not in this case.

Very interesting.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Actually, that's a interesting thought.

Do people with perfect memories lack the mechanism to erase memories?

Or do they just unwilling choose not to erase anything at all. Be it harmful to their psyche or not.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Reaching

Well I too find the mind quite fascinating. I'd say it's one of my more favored areas of study, but to be honest I say that about a lot of things.

the interactions of the mind and body are some of the most interesting things you can get into. Throw in the possibility of a soul, and it takes it to a whole new ball game.

Case in point, while I disagree with the concept of reincarnation in the sense that we live more then one life on this earth, I will throw this out here for your benefit. If people can recall details from past lives, then it would suggest the existence of some medium outside the body and mind in which memories can be stored.

Now to take that one step further, if that is true, then if we purge a memory from our mind, as the study shows we can, is it purged from this other medium? Is it actually possible to change our local history as one poster put it, or is it more a case of simply forgetting one experience so it doesn't burden our existence right now?

Put simply, will we, when we realize what this other medium is, have to face every memory once again. I already have my answer for that question, but it's a good one to ponder on.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Good thread!!

I;ll have to read the article more carefully.
I'm of the belief that memory is universal and that even if we cannot remember things, they are there in our subconscious....they are there if you know how to recall them.

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaykun

Very interesting, though the article states that the experiment participants " were trained to forget neutral information " - heavy, traumatic events would be quite a different story.

Where would we be with the ability to forget..... its plays just as important a role as the ability to remember.

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I don't agree with this because I tend to remember everything.
Is this saying it's within my mental capability to surpress or rather, create a different memory in place of the one i'm erasing? How would we ever know what actually happened if everyones creating memories as they go?
And not even aware of it happening because it seems to sane....
*snip* Just a thought. If you were to have suppressed a memory, how would you know or recall this action ? Exactly.
edit on 10-7-2011 by gallopinghordes because: removed insult; good manners are required on ATS

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
i love it.. remember when scientists said THIS a couple months ago...

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Vaykun

This doesn't speak to the neurosis and psychosis which come about due to supressing memories...

Or perhaps that's more from memories that just won't be forgotten...

top topics

join