It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors treat man who weighed 1,000 pounds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This isn't another silly joke, I am serious.

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - A man who once weighed more than half a ton has lost 321 pounds under the care of a team of doctors and hopes to lose 450 pounds more.

And you think you are fat!

“If we hadn’t gotten him here, he’d be dead now,” said Fred Harris, Deuel’s lead doctor.

Scary, what level obesity has gone to these days.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I feel sad for the guy I dont think anyone would ever want to be like that. That guy had to be weighed on a live stock scale. He wasnt even the fatest man to live, According to the Guinness World Records Web site, the record for heaviest man in the world is 1,397 pounds, held by Jon Brower Minnoch of Bainbridge, Wash., who died in 1983.

I hope this guy losses most of the weight and makes a recovery

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Damn.. that's some crazy story, I've been over here thinking about how to shed these extra 20pds off of me for awhile now and when I read that I kinda feel different about my current weight.

even though my fat ass needs to get to the gym still

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
i have a hard time understanding how people can let their weight get so out of control that they can't leave their homes or even their sofas.

Just this morning there was a story about a 480lb woman who died while emergency workers were trying to remove her from the sofa she has been "living" on for the past six years.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Isn't there a point in your life where your weight becomes a health issue? At what point doe you realize that your killing yourself? 300lbs, 500lbs, 800lbs? It's not like the weight is creeping up on you. I have relatives that I would consider grossly obese and they are good people, but I can't grasp how they would allow themselves to get to a point where they can barely function on a regular basis. I guess this is a mental issue that I will never comprehend.

[edit on 12-8-2004 by mpeake]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I do truely feel bad for this man..It is so sad that some hospitials turned him away!! I wonder if they are going to do Gastric bypass on him or that new procedure where they put that rubber band looking thing around yur stomach ( saw on the Today show)? I have a friend who went through the surgery and she looks AWESOME, she has lost over 100 LBS in less than a year. There are many complications with the gastric bypass and she only did it cause the pros outweighed the cons. You would certainly think he is eligable for one of these procedures!! I would love to see a pic on him when he loses all his weight, All I can say his I wish him the best of luck in his battle to lose weight, it's a long tough journey! Hope he doesn't get discouraged, looks like his life may depend on it

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I do have to say in defense for these people that some are maybe on medications that have a side effect on their weight. I know a couple of people who have gained a large amount of weight because of medications. But the people I know at least go to the gym to try and correct this problem. I guess the people who get overly obese are just lazy? I'm not one to talk about being lazy, but if I was to get to the point of obese, I would like to believe I would do something about it.

[edit on 12-8-2004 by MacMerdin]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
While some conditions are from genes and medications the human body will not sustain such weight without being fed to do so. A man that went by the name "Hambone" had the following plus just for breakfast: loaf of bread, carton of eggs, gallon of milk, half a ham, and who knows what else.
What may be the worst is that family members and friends are often the ones bringing or preparing the food for these people who otherswise at their current size cannot do so on their own.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I read the story about the 480 pound woman who died. Unreal how the couch was actually part of her skin at that point. There was a 800 pound woman in Philly who was brought to the hospital twice. Both times they had to remove and enlarge her bay window to get her out of the house and hauled her to the hospital in a front end loader.

Good for this guy to lose all that weight.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
According to the story, he is planning to lose another 400+ pounds, so soon he will be back to normal.

Better get out pf the sofa before you make the Guinness Books and die!

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
My God its a sad world when a Human bieng is allowed to get himself in that state. I hope he loses the weight that he needs to and returns to a normal life.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Anyone ever see the the jerry spring show the one where they cut he side of the guys house of just to get him out they used a crane to lift him out them like a custom made ambulance. They treated him for his weight aswell never knew what happend after that but man he was big.

[edit on 12/8/2004 by SE7EN]

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
while it is true that there has to be some kind of mental problem with these people, it really is their own faults. i can't see ever letting myself get that big. if you burn more calories than you take in you're gonna lose wieght. even if there is more to it than calories, you get the point. there's nothing magical about it.

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacMerdin
I do have to say in defense for these people that some are maybe on medications that have a side effect on their weight. I know a couple of people who have gained a large amount of weight because of medications. But the people I know at least go to the gym to try and correct this problem. I guess the people who get overly obese are just lazy? I'm not one to talk about being lazy, but if I was to get to the point of obese, I would like to believe I would do something about it.

[edit on 12-8-2004 by MacMerdin]

Hello, Mac:

Yes, I have seen some meds make a person gain weight.

Oh, just feel for this guy. I'm sure that he doesn't want to be obese like that. I sure do hope that he makes it!

Also, I know people who hardly eat anything and just don't lose weight. As a matter of fact, since I've had my gallbladder removed, I'm just about one of those people. It causes you to have a tendency to have a fatty liver with no gallbladder. So some people have a hard time trying to lose weight.

Tiza

posted on Aug, 12 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I wish him well too. Now one deserves to live life like that.

I don't know about the genetics excuse though. Seems like he has been losing weight just fine after being put on the 1200 calorie a day diet. Sounds like he needed help with his self control to a large extent. Lets hope he learns new eating habits, starts exercising when he can and maintains both in the future.

But again, I hope he lives to see a brighter day.

new topics

top topics

join