It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question on juicing (mainly on citrus fruits)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Sorry if this should have gone into health and wellness but I think it falls more into the cooking and food section.
Onto the questions:

1.) On peeling do you peel citrus? Lemons, Limes, Oranges, tangelos, etc. Here's the main part of why I'm not sure on that. People use the zest in things like marmalade, marinades, drinks, etc. Do you really need to peel the citrus before you juice it because even if you peel it you'll still get some of the white bitter peel?

2.) I've read online a lot of info on juicing and one thing that keeps getting mentioned is if it's not organic then you should peel it which lowers the amount of nutrients in the juice. Cucumbers are my example on this one, the thing is I eat cucumber salads with the peel on all the time and unfortunatly I can't afford organic and I'm limited on container garden space (mainly tomatoes) so is it really that bad if you use non-organic fruits and veggies in juicing and don't peel them?

3.) Ginger, I've seen some youtube videos on juice recipes and some peel the ginger some don't, is there a right or wrong way with adding ginger?

4.) Can you juice chia seeds? I've seen alfalfa, random sprouts and such and I wasn't sure if chia can be juiced.

5.) On the Breville videos they add pinapple with the skin/rind/peel on, can you do the same with watermelon? Do you need to remove the seeds for any fruits that aren't stone fruits? Stone fruit ( cherry, peach, nectarine) pits are poisonous right?

6.) Are there any fruits or veggies I should avoid juicing other than bananas and avocados?

7.) Does anyone add ACV to their juice? I've been taking Braggs AVC with some apple juice, cinnamon and stevia and was thinking I might be able to add it to different drinks once my juicer arrives.

8.) Last but not least, do you have any favorite juicing recipes to share?

Thanks for your help!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

You don't need to peel fruit to juice it however I suggest you use some of it's rind in juice drinks because thats the part with the most vitamin C

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I work at a very healthy juice bar.. its called nekter juice bar.
For the first question, No you do not need too, but the peel makes it very sour.. we peel our lemons..

2.Organic or not it does not matter.. Sometime we have organic r sometimes we don't.. We never peel ours except for lemons..

3. We don't peel our ginger it's fine you can do it either way..

Can't answer 4

5. No you do not need too remove seeds we throw our apples right the juicer its fine..

6. i dont know

7. Dont know what avc is..

8. Heres some of ours..

The buzz- Carrot, lemon and ginger
You will feel an instant buzz of energy and brightness around you. Add a natural pep in your step!

The Cure- Beet, Beet greens, broccoli, kale, parsley, celery, grapes and apple
This drink is loaded with the best sources of antioxidants

The Glow - Carrot, parsley, kale, spinach, celery, lemon and ginger
Your skin will have a flushed and refreshed look after drinking. Way to glow

The Greenie - Parsley, spinach, kale, celery, cucumber, lemon and apple
Our signature drink loaded with all the best nutrient rich and appetite suppressant veggies with a touch of apple and sweeten the deal

Toxin Flush -Parsley, spinach, apples, lemon and ginger
This drink will help your body to naturally rid itself of toxins in the blood and liver and soothe your tummy too.. t This one is my favorite hope i helped Any more info you might need let me knoow

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DankDeany

Thank you very much for your replies! So just to check you leave the skin and peel on oranges then just not lemons?
ACV = apple cider vinegar
edit on 5-7-2011 by kittendaydreamer because: typo

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DankDeany
I work at a very healthy juice bar.. its called nekter juice bar.

5. No you do not need too remove seeds we throw our apples right the juicer its fine.

So exactly how much cyanide is healthy ?

I only ask because I know apple seeds contain it, as do many other seeds. I also want to point out that the skin of citrus fruit and other fruits, plus any vegetable skins, that's the part that contains the most bacteria and pesticides. Wash them well.

Just the fact of being alive is a death sentence for all of us, so we make our choices, roll the dice, and hope we have good genes. None of it is a guarantee, but, we can eat a well balanced diet, limit harmful things in excess, and hope for the best.

Everything in moderation.

Don't fall into any fad traps based on pseudo science, just live well.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kittendaydreamer

We don't use oranges at our store. I'm pretty sure you can leave skin on every ding but that is the dirty part and it will make it taste bad so its better just to peal

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
You should probably read your juicer manual. If you go to this website, you might be able to find it. discountjuicers.com...

As an example the Omega O2 says:

It is not necessary to peel your fruits and vegetables as many of the valuable food elements are under the surface near the skin. The only exceptions are cucumbers, pineapples, oranges and grapefruit. These should be peeled.

posted on Jul, 11 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaberz

Thank you I found it in there
it is a peel citrus deal with it. There were also some delicious sounding drink recipes in there too.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by kittendaydreamer
reply to post by Xaberz

Thank you I found it in there
it is a peel citrus deal with it. There were also some delicious sounding drink recipes in there too.

Cool! I'm glad I helped. Also, if you have trouble peeling citrus fruit bc say you have a lot of them. You might benefit from getting a citrus peeler if you don't have one already. They look like this www.palmerwholesale.com...

top topics

join