It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive first interview with key LulzSec hacker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
For those interested in the whole LulzSec fad... I found an interesting interview with Sabu, one of the key players in LulzSec. He pretty much lays it out there for everyone as to why he's involved and his motivation behind his exploits.

Source

I'm a man who believes in human rights and exposing abuse and corruption. I generally care about people and their situations. I'm into politics and I try my best to stay on top of current events.

What operation really inspired you and why?

Earlier this year, we got wind of the Tunisians' plight. Their government was blocking access to any website that reported anti-Tunisian information, including Tunileaks, the Tunisian version of Wikileaks, and any news sites discussing them.

Tunisians came to us telling us about their desire to resist. "Disrupt the government of Tunisia," they said, and we did. We infiltrated the prime minister's site and defaced it externally. When Tunisia filtered off its internet from the world, it was the Tunisians who came online using dial-up and literally allowed us to use their connections to tunnel through to re-deface the prime minister's websites. It was the most impressive thing I've seen: a revolution coinciding both physically and online. It was the first time I had proof that what Anonymous was doing was real and it was working.

I do stand against the whole hacking thing now days, but he does have some very good points in his interview, wether it be wrong or not. It's definatly worth a read.

Enjoy!

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

So what would an Antisec "win" look like?

There is no win. There's just change and education.

Very well said Sabu. I have a lot respect for LulzSec.

Even if they broke laws and exposed information that might be deemed personal, they did it for the right reasons.

Plus, I enjoyed 50 days of lulz.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Dam everyone should read that article.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
One of the most fair articles I have read on the subject.

The majority of the news about LulzSec and Anon is spun up for one of two reasons and both, first and foremost, Ratings = $ and if it bleeds it leads, the more sensational the more the viewers, and second the media is wholly owned by the very same targets of the groups, so obviously they won't cast their enemy in a good light.

NS - What would you like to say to people who say that you and other Antisec/Anonymous/LulzSec members are just troublemakers who have caused untold damage and loss to people for no apparent reason?

Sabu - Would you rather your millions of emails, passwords, dox [personal information] and credit cards be exposed to the wild to be used by nefarious dealers of private information? Or would you rather have someone expose the hole and tell you your data was exploitable and that it's time to change your passwords? I'm sure we are seen as evil for exposing Sony and others, but at the end of the day, we motivated a giant to upgrade its security.

NS - How do you describe what Antisec is about?

Sabu - Expose corruption. Expose censorship. Expose abuses. Assist our brothers and sisters during their operations in their own countries like the one we have going in Brazil now, Operation Brazil, which is about internet/information censorship. Expose these big multinational companies that have their hands in too much, that have too much power, and don't even take the time to secure your passwords and credit cards. And finally, discussion and education. We are not sitting idly by and letting our rights get thrashed. It's time to rise up now.

And this point cannot be understated for it is one of the most ignored, doesn't make good primetime news

Sabu - Those who are with me in the fight do not have to be hackers. They can be reporters, artists, public speakers. This movement is about all of us uniting against corruption. But I don't ask anyone to take my risks. I don't want anyone to follow me down my path.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
It's great what they're doing but I honestly can't see his name without thinking of the pro wrestler of the same name.

Almost amusing to picture a scarred up guy who throws himself around buildings and has wrapped himself in barbed wire and taped up an exposed bicep during a match hacking corrupt companies and governments in his spare time.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
If you want to make a change, that's great. Give the man a lolipop. But you have to work within the confines of the law. Otherwise you are nothing but a cyber vigilante who is giving world governments every bit of ammo they need to shut down the internet.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Don't be afraid like that or nothing can ever happen.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I do not fear these guys VM. I'm concerned that their good intentions will make the fat kid go home with his ball,

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Im not talking about fearing them. I'm talking about being concerned with your rights on the internet.
The government can't do a thing and if they tried that would be the catalyst.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Aren’t these groups providing the catalyst for the world Governments to begin searching for ways to "regulate" our web? I don’t buy in to many of the conspiracies out there, but I do believe that in the very least, my government already has the tech and know how to do just that.

I do agree with these guys that there is a fight to be had, but we/they need to beat them using the rule of law. Otherwise they risk something akin to the Keen act from the movie the Watchmen.

Earlier when I said regulate, I mis-spoke. What I should have said was removal of privacy.

edit on 5-7-2011 by DerbyCityLights because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Interesting topic but we will be ok.
Actually you should check out the thread on Deep Web someone else posted recently.

What these guys are doing won't end up costing us anything that the government wouldn't have cost us by pretending to be these guys anyway. Get what I'm saying? I'd rather the playing field be leveled with people who are on our side we can support then saying to hell with them all.

top topics

join