It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA owns the term "Organic' You can't use it.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Well, this is yet another nail in the coffin for local growers and producers of the good stuff. Namely, healthy food.

The USDA owns the name 'Organic' and sellers at a farm market cannot use the term. They must label their foods as 'Home Grown'.

How can you own a name that is used by people to state the conditions under which their food was grown? Simple, you need permission from the USDA. How can someone a word that everyone uses as part of the English language?

A good point is that the food in the large food chains can be called Organic but if it comes from your back yard, you can't use it. ???

Also, the Farm Market must be able to visit your crop area and inspect it prior to you being allowed to being allowed a booth...to sell a few carrots?

A 10 page document must be filled out with a map to your land, cross streets and a crop layout.

edit on 4-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I don't agree with it but I think to be called 'organic' it has to be usda certified...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mb2591

You are probably correct. This and of itself isn't a bad thing.
Imagine how many jackoffs are growing stuff and then just slapping the organic label on their product.

I imagine this rule was implemented because that was happening. This is just another way to prevent fraud.
Now the home grown label is interesting.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mb2591
reply to post by jude11

I don't agree with it but I think to be called 'organic' it has to be usda certified...

Actually, if you look at labeling on many foods in the large chains that are sold as organic, there is no USDA Certified mention. I've done this.

I just see this as another way to control who has the right to produce food and who gets to sell it.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Well I guess we'll just have to make our own label now. "Nothing Monsanto" should do it. I'd most likely buy the product that said this on it.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
well we'll just have to use a happier word to describe food that doesn't kill us

how about ORGASMIC?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
There is a long list of criteria necessary for being CERTIFIED organic. So unless your HOME GROWN produce meets specific criteria and has been government certified... you cannot use the term ORGANIC. There's nothing difficult to understand about that.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde
well we'll just have to use a happier word to describe food that doesn't kill us

how about ORGASMIC?

And then they'll want to own the terms 'Home Grown' and 'Orgasmic' as well.

I like 'Monsanto Free' tho that of course will not fly.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
when i see organic hamburger buns being sold for $9 i know it's time for somebody to do something about these thieves.

unfortunately having one group of crooks extort another group of crooks means that we'll look forward to more questionable "organic" food being sold at overinflated prices.

you want real organic food then grow your own little vegetable garden. if that's still legal in n.america.

edit on 4-7-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by shushu
There is a long list of criteria necessary for being CERTIFIED organic. So unless your HOME GROWN produce meets specific criteria and has been government certified... you cannot use the term ORGANIC. There's nothing difficult to understand about that.

When the word is given to Monsanto to control, and I believe it will, I guess we'll then see how many people support it.

Being organic is only the tip...the issue is owning the word.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Have you checked the price on a dozen organic eggs??? WOW.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

They OWN it because you need USDA certification to use it in the market place.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
when i see organic hamburger buns being sold for $9 i know it's time for somebody to do something about these thieves.

unfortunately having one group of crooks extort another group of crooks means that we'll look forward to more questionable "organic" food being sold at overinflated prices.

you want real organic food then grow your own little vegetable garden. if that's still legal in n.america.

Well, that will be the next barrier I believe. Remember, in some cases people have been told that they are not allowed to collect rain water.

www.naturalnews.com...

After constructing a large rainwater collection system at his new dealership to use for washing new cars, Miller found out that the project was actually an "unlawful diversion of rainwater." Even though it makes logical conservation sense to collect rainwater for this type of use since rain is scarce in Utah, it's still considered a violation of water rights which apparently belong exclusively to Utah's various government bodies. Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

edit on 4-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
i think that this is so TPTB will know every grower, every piece of land they own, every crop they grow and where it all is. that way....when they wanna crack down on the food market and be the only ones producing food (wonder why TPTB would want to be the only ones producing food? surely no hidden agenda)...they know who to arrest and what crops to kill.

kinda like registering your gun...
edit on 7/4/11 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by shushu
reply to post by jude11

They OWN it because you need USDA certification to use it in the market place.

This is a farmer's market. If you can't see how wrong this is, there would be nothing else I could say except...This is a Farmer's Market.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

The USDA owns the name 'Organic' and sellers at a farm market cannot use the term. They must label their foods as 'Home Grown'.

How can you own a name that is used by people to state the conditions under which their food was grown? Simple, you need permission from the USDA. How can someone a word that everyone uses as part of the English language?

How can they lay claim to a word that other countries use also? Our stuff labeled organic has to go through certification also, the land checked and tested to make sure there is no chance pesticides or herbicides were used in the last 3 years, but USDA doesn't have anything to do with food grown and sold in Canada, or in any other country - the UK, Australia, etc...

They better not tell us we're not allowed to use the name, or we'll have to add in a letter somewhere, or make a Cdn style spelling - organique
problem solved.

I guess if our organics go into the states, they'll be double checked, and a USDA label put on them....

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I sort of see their point for large chain and the like, but I personally do not think it will hurt Farmer's Markets and produce stands. All the Farmer's markets and stands I visit have been around since I was a child and the owners and farmers are known directly or word of mouth. I'll trust their produce without the Organic label on it.
A side note, to be organic, there are certain qualifications that need to be met, chemical and pesticide free, probably some more regulations that need to be met to qualify.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Interesting because the USDA can not copyright anything.
en.wikipedia.org...

So under what law do they hold the rights to the term "Organic"

If i wanted to mess with the government i would copyright the word "organicgrown" then give out the rights to anyone that wanted to use it for $1.
edit on 4-7-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Hey, anybody remember this? Michelle Obama's toxic veggie nightmare: White House organic garden polluted with sludge

When First Lady Michelle Obama planted an organic vegetable garden on the White House lawn in March 2009, she hoped to both set an example of healthy eating and to grow tasty edibles for her daughters and husband. But Michelle's organic dream has been dashed by a nasty toxic legacy lurking in the soils of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. It turns out that a previous Presidential gardening team had used sewage sludge for fertilizer.

I guess it's ok for Michelle Obama to use the term "organic" for her garden. Granted, I doubt she's selling it anywhere... Hmmm... makes you wonder who owns the word "organic" doesn't it?
edit on 4/7/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I am just baffled here..

little kids need permits to sell lemonade..

and now people who grow ORGANIC food/vegetables...

need a permit also..

with a freakin map to your garden/farm ..

bah..I give up on America...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join