It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why This Lovely Woman Does NOT Support The Troops - Amazing Video

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+53 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I thought that she expressed herself very well and very much drilled down to not supporting the troops vs. the army/wars.

I find it very difficult to disagree with any of her views and would love to have a cup of coffee with her and have great discussions.

I wish there were more people like this, more people who did not categorize a thought under a generalized umbrella, I believe that this flaw of generalizing is a major contributor to not understanding current events.

Excellent Speech!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
She makes some valid points. Hard to argue with most of them.

I can see why you'd like to have lunch with her.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Great! As I was watching this, my wife thought I was video chatting with a hottie.

Now I have my own war and my wife doesn't need troops to back her up.!

Good vid tho...

I have to say that my favorite part is when she states that because you didn't know, is no excuse.

We are always told that ignorance is no excuse for the law. So the military should be held to the same standards.

Her July 4th Video:

edit on 4-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I agree with her. Here in the UK we have a charity called "help the heroes" dedicated to those fighting in Afghanistan. I have a little difficulty in believing everyone in the armed services is a hero and the charity has taken on propaganda status in my opinion. I am sure the British Military are are very profesional, but I dont believe either Afghanistan or Iraq have been justified wars. Neither have been in the defence of our nations survival and the amount of civilians killed has been totally disproportionate.

We have been lead into these wars by governments who are quite happy to send off the sons and daughters of other kids but not their own and then they rely on a charity like help the heroes to meet the governments responsibility of looking after the soldiers they sent.

Anyway Im sure I'll get slammed for bashing a charity, but it's just my opinion.

+35 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
She has the right to say the things she said, as long as you understand the only reason she has that right is stronger people are willing to take up arms and defend her right to say it.

If she had said such a thing in 90% of the countries on this planet, her head would be on a pike before sunset.

She's nothing more than a very ignorant, unappreciative bitch. She has the right to be that though, cause people are willing to fight and die to give her that right.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Fantastic video! Thanks for sharing it with us. My grandparents raised me, and I'm constantly trying to explain to them the same things that she simply stated. Times are different now...I need to show them this...that I'm not the ONLY one who thinks this way.

Thanks again!

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

+38 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

The thing is WW1 and WW2 were wars to defend our nations from a powerful Tyranny. not comparable to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's not like we were all gonna end up speaking Iraqi if we hadn't gone in to that war.

You think the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were just? That the millions of lost lives worth it? The changes to your own freedoms through increased security measures, all these wars have not made us any safer. There have been no victories in these wars,

+31 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Yeah?

In the past, during WWI and WWII, Military men were heroes that defended our nation, lives, and freedom.

Since then, the exact opposite is true. Military men are those who make personal profit while they support their corporate and government masters. They have not secured our freedoms in any way, shape or form. They have not defended this country or it's people in any way, shape, or form.

You call that woman ignorant, but you seem to be the truly ignorant person here. She didn't say one thing that isn't factually accurate. She voiced her opinion, and she did so based on the fact that Afghanistan, Iraq, and Libya have nothing to do with defending our freedom.

The middle east is no threat to our freedom. You know who is a threat to our freedom? The US government, who uses the military to force their will upon other nations.

This woman has a right to voice her opinion because of the brave men who fought in WWI and WWII, NOT the people who fought in Iraq, Afghanistan, and now in Libya. This is fact. If we had not entered into those wars, our freedom would not be infringed upon one single bit. In fact the opposite is true, because of these wars we are loosing our freedom.

In addition to our actions overseas causing more hate against the US, which will in turn lead to more people willing to give their lives to carry out terrorist attacks, the wars give more power to the government, and scare the citizens of the US into giving up our rights.

So don't you dare try to say that the Military men fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq are doing anything for the American people, they aren't. If you could provide one single example of how they are defending our freedom I'd love to hear it, but I know you can't. because they aren't.

I leave Vietnam out of this whole thing because many of the Military men who fought in that "conflict" were drafted. It wasn't their fault they were there. Their only other option was prison. Go to war, or get beaten and raped every day. Not much of a choice, I can't hold that against those people.

But times are very different now. Nobody is in the Military that didn't CHOOSE to be in the military. You made the choice, so you are the one responsible for your actions.

Bravo to this woman, and to the OP, S&F.
edit on 4-7-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Who is fighting for her right of free speech and her freedoms? The ACLU as organisation comes to my mind. Add to this Libertarians in general, a few politicians like Ron Paul, Dennis Kucinich or Ralph Nader, a few journalists like Glenn Greenwald and a relatively small number of brave civilians and veterans. These are the courageous people who try to protect freedoms and the rule of law.

But the soldiers who are currently serving for the military are neither guardians of free speech, nor are they protectors of the rule of law. Some rare exceptions in their ranks will take a stand for liberty and the constitution, even against oppression. But these exceptions are today either labeled as traitors or as troublemakers. Overall the military only protects the system. The military will also follows orders, which lead to a loss of liberty at home. Many generals are more interested in their next star, than in doing what is right. They don't fight for freedom and the constitution. And the typical soldier will obediently follow orders.

When it really mattered in the last years and it was time to fight for freedom, where was the military -

• when it was time to take a stand against the Patriot Act?
  • when it was time to take a stand against torture (you may call it enhanced interrogation)?
  • when it was time to refuse to enter illegal wars of aggression?
  • when it was time to oppose the catastrophic strategic planning for Iraq and Afghanistan, catastrophic planning which cost thousands of lives?
  • when it was time to take a stand against targeted assassinations? Targetet killings, which are murder without trial and without evidence?
  • when private contractors plundered the taxpayers?
  • when it was time to oppose extraordinary rendition?
  • when it was time to oppose Orwellian developments like the terror watch list and warrantless wiretapping?

War is a Lie

edit on 4-7-2011 by Drunkenshrew because: grammar

edit on 4-7-2011 by Drunkenshrew because: grammar again

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I agree with her. Here in the UK we have a charity called "help the heroes" dedicated to those fighting in Afghanistan. I have a little difficulty in believing everyone in the armed services is a hero and the charity has taken on propaganda status in my opinion. I am sure the British Military are are very profesional, but I dont believe either Afghanistan or Iraq have been justified wars. Neither have been in the defence of our nations survival and the amount of civilians killed has been totally disproportionate.

We have been lead into these wars by governments who are quite happy to send off the sons and daughters of other kids but not their own and then they rely on a charity like help the heroes to meet the governments responsibility of looking after the soldiers they sent.

Anyway Im sure I'll get slammed for bashing a charity, but it's just my opinion.

We are fighting these wars to make money for the politicians and their rich friends. It has nothing to do with freedom or defense against terrorism. War makes money for a certain percentage of the population.. HUGE OBSCENE AMOUNTS OF MONEY!

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
She's talking about recent wars. Since WWII. And I agree with her completely. There's no acceptable reason (in my mind) to join the military today and to continue to fight in these wars. Nothing they're doing is improving our security or freedom. In fact, just the opposite is happening, BECAUSE of what we are doing. No one is fighting for me. It's a salve over a painful reality to say that they are.

I always get in trouble when I say I don't support the troops, but it doesn't mean that I hate the men and women or anything. It just means I cannot support a person to join an organization that's doing this to people, no matter their reason.

Yes, Modern, she is adorable.
Intelligent AND cute.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
She's a bit jaded is all. Intelligent sure, but jaded also. Look, she saw a few clips of FLIR imagery, saw some statistics on collateral damage and this is the result. And then she is placing members of the armed forces in a few of her own made up catagories - stereotyping them basically.

Where in reality the members of our armed forces as a whole are not bloodthirsty killers who want to go and shed blood. They are people just like her, you, and I. It's our job. Yes there's pride involved but that's another story. Not mindless zombies that buy into all the propaganda either.

God forbid it starts raining chinese/russian paratroopers over US soil, then we will see how little she supports our troops then.

Of course every war we've been involved in the last decade has been a farce. I have known this, but that is no reason to not support our troops. More specifically, the troops who have not forgotten the Oath they took, and what it means.

I will continue to support our troops, regardless of the actions of the White House administration which directs them. If you want to go along with this girl's ideals, be my guest.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
She's nothing more than a very ignorant, unappreciative bitch.

Oh really?

So you must be one of the sexist spammers on her comments section. I'm glad you show your honest opinion, and "give her the right" to speak her mind, lest she live in a country where someone might not do the same... whatever that is.

Basically what you're saying.. In America, people "fought, fight, died and continue to die" so people like you can tell a woman she is a bitch for speaking her mind? So basically you're cool if you kiss my ass and support my beliefs, but if you don't you're an unappreciative bitch. You know, I really see what you're getting at here, it truly is representative of a free society worth celebrating today.

Freedom is confusing to me, maybe I need to go back to school in Amerika.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82

God forbid it starts raining chinese/russian paratroopers over US soil, then we will see how little she supports our troops then.

God forbid indeed. I think her, and many other people WOULD support the troops IF they were actually doing anything in the interests of the American people... you know, like defending our freedoms and silly things like that.

The Military is a tool, and like all tools it must be used in an appropriate role. If the Military isn't being used to protect Americans, which in my opinion it's not, and has not since WWII, then I see no reason to support it.

Why do you support them? What are they doing that is deserving of your support? You admit they aren't doing anything in the interest of the American population.

You denounce her splitting Military people up into 3 categories, care you explain why you don't think she is correct? If you join the military just so you can kill people, you ARE evil. If you join the military because you actually think you'll be defending America, you ARE stupid. And if you know how you are going to be used, aren't happy about it, but sign up anyway just for the money, then you ARE morally conflicted, but that's not a good thing is it? If you know what you are going to have to do, and join anyway, then you are pretty darn close to the evil people that join just so they can kill "towel heads"

About 4 years ago I ran into 2 people I knew from high school, not close friends but people I had hung around with a decent amount. They were on leave. I asked them why they joined up, not in a condescending way, just a curious "was it for college money?" kind of way. They both, and I'm being honest and literal here, said they joined to kill towel heads. No joke. I said OK and have a nice day. I'd put them in the "evil" category.

I'm not saying everyone in the Military is "evil" but I do think they all fall into one of the 3 categories she outlines. Would you care to explain why you don't think that's fair?

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

She has the right to say the things she said, as long as you understand the only reason she has that right is stronger people are willing to take up arms and defend her right to say it.

Actually the opposite is closer to the truth
Foreign occupation increases terrorism, which thereafter reduces our freedoms
Now we have to go past the TSA to travel within the country and get spied on 24/7

Not much freedom there bud

If she had said such a thing in 90% of the countries on this planet, her head would be on a pike before sunset.

wait...what?
90%????????

So you think that the country with the largest amount of prisoners on the face of this planet is more free than 90% of the rest of the globe?

She's nothing more than a very ignorant, unappreciative bitch. She has the right to be that though, cause people are willing to fight and die to give her that right.

These wars have lasted over a decade with no results or goal in sight
Just a road paved with the blood of way too many innocent civilians while bankrupting the country

So who is ignorant here?
She is realizing the reality of the situation while all you have is blind patriotism

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
She said she doesn't like the fact that we live in a culture where we kiss the troops asses for joining an organization that has killed millions of innocent people.

Here's the thing about people who say they don't support the troops.

First of all, it's not black and white. To pretend there is nothing positive, humanitarian or self-sacrificing about the troops is just as ignorant to say they are either "dumb, evil or morally compromised".
Second, I'm a veteran, I think the recent wars are ridiculous and incompetent, but I don't think that the troops and officers that participate here in the united states for military readiness - you know, "in case we do get attacked", or the marines in the embassies across the world that works with protecting U.S ambassadors so we can have world diplomacy - I don't think there is too much wrong with supporting their efforts.
She said she doesn't support the troops, that's fine, but I mean if the nation was under attack, she would quickly change her mind, it's a simple as that.

She's looking at the big picture, which is great, but i don't understand why to not support any of it, when it is obvious her position is mostly against the parts where we kill innocent civilians and military budget.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I cant speak for the other military members, but I for one really don't care if civilians support the troops or not.

Its not a big deal for me either way. As a matter of fact it makes me very uncomfortable to have someone come up to me and say "thank you for your service".

I have always said that you can't be against the wars and support the troops at the same time.

So don't support us if you want, I don't mind.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

wait...what?
90%????????

So you think that the country with the largest amount of prisoners on the face of this planet is more free than 90% of the rest of the globe?

I wouldn't go 90% but 50% definitely.

The reason there is low incarceration rates in South/Central America, SE Asia, Africa and the ME is because the police simply execute you on the side of the road or you are hacked to death by vigilantes.

Lived / worked in the ME and western Africa. That's how things work there- speak against the local tribal leader, look at a woman the wrong way, approach a woman to talk to her, criticize the sitting political party, belong to the wrong religion, be accused of witchcraft, switch your religion, be homosexual, teach girls to read... you die. Painfully.

So yes- to answer your question- America is more free.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I am a Soldier in the Military, I do not look for glory or the thanks, instead I do my job and go home. Just like the multitudes that work at cigarette plants, alcohol manufacturers, and car manufactures which kill as many if not more than we have. The main difference is we are abroad and the three I listed are killing Americans at home by the millions. It is a perception of any individual any where at any time that is for or against, as if it will change anything either way. She had her 15 mins of fame...move on...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join