It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GETTING USED TO LIFE WITHOUT FOOD - Wall Street, BP, Bio-Ethanol And The Death Of Millions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

So you're saying it would be less crazy to eat a human? LOL!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
A bit of an anti-BP rant (because it’s trendy) but BP is hardly a player in bio ethanol industry – for that you need to look to the US and Brazil, who between them produce nearly 90% of the world’s output. In the US it is maize as the primary source and in Brazil it is sugar cane.

The problem with the world’s food supply cannot be blamed on the bio-ethanol. In Brazil it will continue to lead to the destruction of the rain forests. The problems of food supply revolve around desertification, water shortage, conflict, population growth and dysfunctional governments. These are the primary causes of food shortage. Who knows what climate change will result in over the coming decades?

The politics of climate change. Bio ethanol is the “green” fuel. Environmentalists have fought for it.

Some food for thought and am working on clippings, but the reports will be out there if yo search.

1.A Greenpeace study has showed that China’s food supply will be inadequate by 2030.
2.A UN report concluded Africa may only be able to feed 25% of its population by 2025 if soil degradation continues at the current pace in that blighted continent.

Regards

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Learn which wild plants give alot of carbohydrate, and how to store them for winter use. If you haven't got a big garden just practise growing perennial herbs and how to propagate them by cuttings, if you plan eating only a few types of wild food, it'll get boring within a week and the herbs will help. If you practise now while the going is good, theres a better chance.
If you go for walks and see any wild foods learn when they seed and how the seeds are moved, and put some seeds in new places to keep that food going ie., dandelions and fireweed won't need help, but burdock might, especially if you need to dry and use the root for winter. Learn which foods are abundant, its no good hunting your area out in the summer to starve during the winter.
Learn how to cold store apples, for instance, and how to pest-proof the storage. Sweet chestnuts dried and stored in airtight containers can store for years in a cool dry place ( soak in hot water for an hour to rehydrate ). Learning how to dry foods and having airtight jars, how to pickle foods, using fat to 'lock out' air-bourne bacteria, and honey could be useful skills.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by HenryPatrick
Learning to harvest bugs is a good way to go too. Crickets and the like are nutritious and easy to grow a lot of. Although I fear that roving gangs of cannibals is probably more likely to occur.

A veg farm for fibre and carbs, and a worm farm for fats and proteins

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

Originally posted by mb2591
So.. learn to fish, hunt and trap.. along with growing your own produce? These are all valuable skills that are more beneficial to know then to not.

Now take a moment and picture the entire population in the woods with guns.

Time to start educating people on raising insects for food! Less resources required, less land, and just as much nutrition as land mammals! If you got enough land, use that along with growing your own produce and fish. Save up all that extra cash to stock pile on guns and ammo now... kill everyone who tries to harm you. YAY FOR VIOLENCE!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

You don't have to have guns to hunt, fish, or trap... gtfo

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
reply to post by HenryPatrick

I'll eat a human before I eat a bug

I don't want to have to go that far but damn! Nobody is gonna eat bugs in a first world country who's not crazy! No offense to anybody who does but....come on

That's exactly why I said I figure roving gangs of cannibals were more likely than people learning to sustainably grow protein. I have had cricket farms to feed my pets, and it's not hard at all. But I think you are right in that most people would rather kill each other for meat than eat bugs.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I spend almost 2 weeks of every month with barely anything to eat.
I'm "getting used to it"..

god bless amerikkka.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Private owners should be free to buy whatever they like and distribute it or not as they
See fit! That's freedom, if they bought all the feed you should have thought about that
Turn your apartments into pastures, grown vegetables in you bed, start a business.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SSDDay

You don't have to have guns to hunt, fish, or trap... gtfo

That's true, you can hunt by buying it a couple of drinks.

Now imagine everyone in the woods with guns and some others with crossbows and hand lines?
People with guns would steal whatever you catch, just for a change from meat. imo gtfo yourself

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Life without food?

There's an old joke about starvation and shoe leather. I wonder if those 500 dollar fancy ones taste better than Walmart brand.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
in 1997 a french pediatric nutritionist developed a superfood by the name of Plumpy'nut. Its a high energy, high protein, peanut based paste that requires no water, preparation, refrigeration and has a shelf life of 2 years. Its like peanut butter...with steroids in it
...but seriously, its used in famine relief and given mainly to starving children in impoverished african nations and the results have been amazing. I mention it because it has very few, very basic ingredients and while it is the invention of someone else....it is inspiring. this person used their knowledge to create something that is able to make a difference between life and death for a child. It could probably do the same for an adult. We need more people developing things such as these because they can go a long way towards saving people from starvation.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Wow, suddenly I am less upset about how much the Chinese government hates us, and feel sorry for them.

Does explain why the Heparin malfunction and pet food problems seem like reasonable sallies in the war we are having with them, you know, the one no one officially acknowledges?

Monsanto, thanks for acting on our behalf, earning a payback we cannot afford, and guaranteeing the Chinese a reason to keep sending us rotten and poisoned goods.

Looks like tit for tat, doesn't it? And Monsanto officials, family, and friends in the know stay neatly out of the loop.

I feel more like cannon fodder than ever. Even my poor pets have to maybe take one for the team. Will it be poisoned flea drops? Messed up plastics? Things we don't know we get from China that will end up contaminating even more people and places?

Argh.

Star and flag. And thanks for the heads up.

Also, my grandfather was a beef farmer, and taught me how the corn for feed is not digestible for people, and how the cows have teeth and stomachs for it. Even without the Monsanto magic, a lot of the corn we ship out may fall somewhere in between the quality we are used to on our tables and this rougher stuff.

I have often wondered about products like grits and hominy, and whether they are products of this feed corn, processed or prepared in a way that makes it more digestible and cheaper than better corn.

Add in pesticide and that is definitely a condescending move to the people buying our stuff. Any one of these possibilities would be evil, but mix a couple together and I would be surprised if the Chinese EVER let it go.

Hmm.

edit on 4-7-2011 by Copperflower because: To add:

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join