It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Point 9mm C9

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
My husband bought me a high point 9mm C9 and today was the first day I used it at the range. Fresh from the box with a little gun oil and full metal jacket rounds.

To make a long story short it kept double feeding and jamming. I tried to not fill the magazine all the way, and found it didnt jam as much if I only used 6 rounds.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

I have read many websites that say it was either the magazine or the rounds. My husband bought me 200 very cheap russian rounds. So I am not sure what to think at this point.

When it fired I was able to hit almost dead center every time, so other than the jamming I am very happy with it.

I know it is a cheaper weapon and please dont blast me for that, this is my "starter" gun.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
It very vell could be the rounds being cheap, But my bet honestly is on a bad magazine. i'd order a better quality mag to try out with the same rounds and see if it remedies your issues.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

I would suggest a Ruger SP101 for a defense weapon.I
have one and I have a little .38 I keep in my purse.
edit on 2-7-2011 by mamabeth because: changed post

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by k21968

You have just learned a hard lesson. Only buy good guns and good guns cost a pretty penny. High point and kel-tec are crap. And when your life could depend on it don't buy crap. I am going to get my girl a similar gun it is a toss up between the Smith and Wesson MP compact and the Kimber compact. Both are expensive but good guns.

I would suggest selling it and spending the money on a good gun. Anything gun related is expensive and cheap gun items are always crap. Any scope made in China is crap. UTG products are crap.

It is simple save your money and buy something that will last a lifetime if that is the very thing that could be riding on it.
edit on 2-7-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
When I first got my Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm, it had a few misfeeds. I was concerned because I had heard these were great guns. I switched ammo to Remmington and I haven't had a problem since. I've fired about 1000 rounds through it.

So it's probably the cheap ammo (spec tolerances are looser, hence cheaper since the factory doesn't have to cover the cost of tossing away bad ammo).

Spend a little more on the ammo. See if it works better. Also, load up the magazine and let it sit for a week before you fire it. Also, get some graphite powder and put a little bit into the empty magazine to make sure it isn't sticking to the walls. Make sure you remove any excess graphite before you load ammo into the magazine.
edit on 2-7-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
When I first got my Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm, it had a few misfeeds. I was concerned because I had heard these were great guns. I switched ammo to Remmington and I haven't had a problem since. I've fired about 1000 rounds through it.

So it's probably the cheap ammo (spec tolerances are looser, hence cheaper since the factory doesn't have to cover the cost of tossing away bad ammo).

Spend a little more on the ammo. See if it works better. Also, load up the magazine and let it sit for a week before you fire it. Also, get some graphite powder and put a little bit into the empty magazine to make sure it isn't sticking to the walls. Make sure you remove any excess graphite before you load ammo into the magazine.

Very bad idea NEVER and I mean NEVER put graphite powder in your magazine. It sounds like your gun might have head space issues rather then magazine issues. A gun smith might be in order not Graphite.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

+1 for the above post, with that new mag load it up full and let it sit as that spring can be quite stiff, powder as said above will also help sticking just don't leave a bunch of residue. And above all ammo, get some better ammo (not russian) as they tend to bite into the feed ramp with their soft casing. A good overall cleaning may be in order as well, factory oil tends to be a bit excessive and thick for shipping reasons.

Don't listen to the above, a 9mm to the dome still puts an intruder down, if your looking to get comfortable firing weapons and learning how to use them safely this gun is just fine. Have fun and be safe.
edit on 2-7-2011 by GhettoRice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by k21968

The 9m is okay for starters,I wouldn't trust my life with it.
I would suggest a Ruger SP101 for a defence weapon.I
have one and I have a little .38 I keep in my purse.The Ruger
is a .357.

The 9mm is good, don't try to perpetuate that baseless claim that the 9mm isn't good for self defense just because you bought a .357.

Let me put it to you this way: Would you like to stand 20 feet from me while I unload my 18 rounds of 9mm hollow point bullets into you?

Didn't think so.

Also, are you one of these people who say, "The 9mm has no stopping power."?

Right, that's why the Navy Seals use 9mm rounds in their MP5's to take out terrorists - because the Navy Seals don't want any stopping power.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhettoRice

+1 for the above post, with that new mag load it up full and let it sit as that spring can be quite stiff, powder as said above will also help sticking. And above all ammo, get some better ammo (not russian) as they tend to bite into the feed ramp with their soft casing.

Don't listen to the above, a 9mm to the dome still puts an intruder down, if your looking to get comfortable firing weapons and learning how to use them safely this gun is just fine. Have fun and be safe.

I never said 9mm is bad? I actually use a MP in 9mm. Putting graphite powder in your gun is retarded at best. Don't believe me search some gun threads and read for yourself.

And as far as the gun goes you get what you pay for. I love seeing the guys at the range with the DPMS and Barska scope wondering why the cant hit the target consistently. It is what it is and it is a expensive hobby.

The best thing to do is read reviews and read the gun forums.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
Very bad idea NEVER and I mean NEVER put graphite powder in your magazine. It sounds like your gun might have head space issues rather then magazine issues. A gun smith might be in order not Graphite.

Let's no get melodramatic here. This is not an uncommon practice, and is only advised on a magazine that is sticking with full load. Her magazines aren't working ANYWAYS - you did read her issue, right?

The worse that happens is her magazine keeps sticking, and will so be advised to throw it out and replace it with new ones anyways.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I have read articles relating to the 9mm.
NO,I would not be stupid enough to let
you fire one at me either.
The reasons why I like my Ruger SP101...
I have arthritis in my hands and this gun feels great in them.
It is not too big or too small.
I like the fact that it is a .357 if I have to stop someone,I want
the punch of a higher caliber.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Many guns, the high point included take about 200 rounds before they're broken in properly and will then cycle without jamming.
Make sure you put at least 200 of crap ammo through it then feed it some better rounds.
Too much oil can also mess up the feed.
Also, some diamond lapping oil on the slide and work it back and forth by hand a few hundred times will also insure proper function.
The reason it takes 200 rounds to get your broken in properly is due to sear and magazine spring tensions which need to break down slightly. It also allows time for microscopic burrs in the machining and polishing of both the extractor. feed ramp and throat surfaces to be worn free.
Finally, clean your gun before you back to the range and do not over oil!. Just 2 drops on a cloth will be enough,
If the above don;t fix it you bought junk, which is a distinct possibility as the reputation of high point is not the best.
Kel tec makes fine functioning weapons, they're just not fancy
They are the best gun for the least amount of money in handguns..

Cheers,
ATA

edit on 2-7-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Oh, it's "retarded" now? You sound like a very mature individual. Hey, if your grand-pappy told you it was a no no, go ahead and don't do it. But don't act like it's gospel. People do it with magazines that are sticking if they rather use that than some mild lubricant (liquid). It's not something you should do to any magazine if it's not giving you trouble.

Lady asked for advice - you tell her to take it to a gun smith. That's amazing advice. The gun is only worth $140, so are you going to pay for her gun smith invoice?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

She is new to the gun world and telling her that Graphite is alright to use it is the wrong advise. You should NEVER use it, it will get on your bullets and feed into the gun and mix with other things like oil. It is not common practice among people who use guns. I suggest reading some gun forums that would be a good idea.

This is not drama or a pissing contest so check that at the door please. This is a thread about giving advise. The gun she is using is the bottom of the line model and is prone to problems.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

This is the last post I am going to reply to in this thread. I don't like pissing contests any more and it is like playing cards with my sisters kids arguing points on ATS.

To the OP don't take my word for it listen to the people who do this for a living. Read reviews and read the gun forums. Just like anything else you get what you pay for. And anyone who is around guns for awhile knows this.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
reply to post by k21968

High point and kel-tec are crap. And when your life could depend on it don't buy crap.

My 2 Hi-Points have never jammed and i used cheap ammo too .Not Flaming you for calling their products crap but my Ruger has jammed more than my hi-Point....just saying as far as Kel-Tec I cant say

Too the person buying the pistols do a little online research from several different firearm forums and SniperCentral if his site is still goin...havnt been there for a while but all the gun nuts on there are pretty honest about all brands of weapons....Oh yea my Kimber has jammed several times too

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
To the OP,

I own 2 of those guns I bought them specifically because of the price. You need to run a couple of hundred rounds through it. The first 5 or 6 mags I went through on mine I got at least one jam per mag. Gradually, the more rounds I fired the less jams I got until finally the jams were few and far between. Don't think I have had a jam in either one in over 500 rounds.

More importantly, get rid of the cheap ammo and buy some decent ammo. I use Winchester, you can find it fairly inexpensive online, or at Walmart. It is also consistently reliable.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Agree wit the clean the gun, get quality ammo and if that doesn't help take it to a gunsmith.

The gunsmith can identify any problems with the feeding and set it right. Congrats on your first gun.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
break the mags in and leave them fully loaded, the springs are new and stiff. if nothing fixes it send the gun back to hi point , it has a lifetime no question asked warranty

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Reply to post by k21968

Don't listen to the name-brand nazi's.

I have a .45 Hi-Point hand gun and the Carbine. My wife has the 9. All three work flawlessly. Have had them for about 3 or 4 years. We take them out plinking at least once a month.

On top of that, Hi-Poimt as a full lifetime warranty. No questions asked. Your fault or their fault does not matter. It is repaired or replaced with you only paying shipping.

All Hi-Points have the same issue for the first 500 founds or so. I believe it is attributed to the springs in the mag.

Just go out one day and keep firing away. After about 500 rounds, it will work flawlessly.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join