It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Changes To The Flagging System Today

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Good going, thank you! *star*, lol. I would add that I think their should be an expire time (ie: you can retract a flag within 72 hours for example), so that if a long-term poster suddenly becomes 'unpopular' all the previous posts would not then be punished.

I'd also like the private option to "make favorite" posts so I can save those posts that I want to remember and possibly track.

It would also be awesome to have a "search thread" option. We've found this a particular problem in the monster thread with over 20,000 replies it's almost impossible to find that source or post you are looking for without hours searching.

Thanks!
edit on 30-6-2011 by Wertwog because: a

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
Is there not a slight worry that as members get over their initial reaction to a good thread, they may remove the flags if it descends into chaos as quite a few threads often seem too despite a really great topic (especially over the summer holidays)?

This was my question, stolen by XXXN3O...
Too bad we can't "star" in this thread or I would have instead of reposting the question...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Is there not a slight worry that as members get over their initial reaction to a good thread, they may remove the flags if it descends into chaos as quite a few threads often seem too despite a really great topic (especially over the summer holidays)?

I agree.

I feel that some members might be penalized due to disputes and pettiness that is out of their control (ie: trolling,etc)

Will there be any mechanism to counter these types of happenings?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I for one, agree with the original concept of the Flag & Star System. I flag many threads, and star many posts that I have nothing to add to. (which is why I get so annoyed by 'S&F!!! Good Find, but that's a different story).

As far as the new Un-Flag Option- I don't like it. I like the idea of it, but I dislike the ugly red oval that is now there. I can foresee myself not flagging many threads, for no other reason than I do not want to look at that annoying, distracting, red 'button.'

edit on 6/30/11 by BrokenCircles because: typo

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
excellent addition SO, this was needed indeed.

I nearly misread your last paragraph title as "Flogging Is For Full-Members", it's late here

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I guess it's cool but it's just a virtual flag! Why do people care so much?! It should be about content not flags!

I have flagged threads that later on turned out to be vrap but I wouldn't take the flag away. I flagged it to either get more info or I liked the topic.

It kind of seems childish to me. Why people complained so much about wanting to take flags back I'll never understand.

I do like the other rule, 20 or more posts to flag.

I guess for those who cried about flags this is good :p but for me I don't see me taking a flag back, it's just the Internet.

Flag for this though lol

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive

Will there be any mechanism to counter these types of happenings?

I wonder the same as well. Perhaps they can give the OP the ability to lock their own thread if the trolls cause a good thread to spiral downward. Once thread is locked, then no un-flagging. It's a long-shot, I know...but there has to be some mechanism in place.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

This was my question, stolen by XXXN3O...
Too bad we can't "star" in this thread or I would have instead of reposting the question...

Hey, youronlyhuman

Apparently I can read minds too since I stole it

Hopefully there wont be an un-star in the pipelines. I guess it is just a trial though with the flag system.

Will be interesting to see the results.

edit on 30-6-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I was more interested in what members think of this newer idea than the idea itself...

Will it be the newby's who feel best about it or the older members?

I personally could not tell you how many I have or dont have and would not for an instant change a flag,I have already made that seems like a petty thing to do to others, if it is a point of popularity, well this is a social network...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I think it's a good feature, at least for the more vindictive members

So in addition to "S+F" for posts we agree with, we can now also say "S+F+U" for the posts we no longer agree with or like. ("U" for un-flag, natch). Or maybe it would just be F+... umm, nevermind.

link   

Originally posted by Wertwog
Good going, thank you! *star*, lol. I would add that I think their should be an expire time (ie: you can retract a flag within 72 hours for example), so that if a long-term poster suddenly becomes 'unpopular' all the previous posts would not then be punished.

I agree with this.

I would also like to ask -- how far back does the period currently extend? Can a person unflag posts made weeks, months, or years before?

Otherwise, thanks for your continuing efforts as always.
edit on 6/30/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by antar

OH WOW...I thought I had a few hundred flags! wow.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

I neglected to mention that there is a 30-day window to un-Flag any thread you previously flagged.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
reply to post by Deebo

I neglected to mention that there is a 30-day window to un-Flag any thread you previously flagged.

Ah there it is

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Actually, this is a fan-damn-tastic idea.
There are plenty of threads that start out with promise, and then flop after some investigation..
Well done staff..simple yet effective potential quality content control

I flagged (then unflagged and reflagged of course) this thread out of appreciation (and beta testing)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
All my flags are gone ! Just kidding.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I guess it's cool but it's just a virtual flag! Why do people care so much?! It should be about content not flags!

The original issue was that, in essence, crap was being pushed forward (I am a scientist). after it was pretty much proven he was no scientist, he already had about 3 bazillion flags from people excited about whatever...and in turn, that was shoved to the front page and made it even more popular.

So ya, a simple case of removing the flag you gave makes the thread less popular, and spend less time up front to make way for good threads to claim the limelight and trend.

Yes...it is a step to promote content over initial subject line or glamour amounting to nothing...kneejerking flagging of a thread that turns out a lie or just crappy overall.

like..."Obama Found Having An Affair"...one may flip out at the title and quickly flag it...then read the ops after that and realize the affair was like a lunch affair with his family on the lawn, and some pictures, etc..misleading headlines.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
So in addition to "S+F" for posts we agree with, we can now also say "S+F+U" for the posts we no longer agree with or like.

Oh no. I had not thought about this. Now, I think it is very likely, that this new feature, will create many more un-needed, useless, minimal posts.

Just like the "S&F" nonsense, many will probably feel that this will also be something, that they want others to know that they did.

A simple 'un-flag' may not be enough to satisfy some people.
Now they may want to express it by also saying something along the lines of "I u--FU"

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I flagged, unflagged and flagged this thread. It works!

Anyway. This are good changes, thanks.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
The original issue was that, in essence, crap was being pushed forward (I am a scientist). after it was pretty much proven he was no scientist, he already had about 3 bazillion flags from people excited about whatever...and in turn, that was shoved to the front page and made it even more popular.

So ya, a simple case of removing the flag you gave makes the thread less popular, and spend less time up front to make way for good threads to claim the limelight and trend.

That issue could have easily been resolved(or at the least- reduced). with a much less drastic change.
Introduction threads are the problem. Remove the ability to flag an intro thread, and the issue would not be so severe, and would not happen near as often.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join