It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Changes To The Flagging System Today

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
reply to post by Deebo

I neglected to mention that there is a 30-day window to un-Flag any thread you previously flagged.

Gotcha thanks, but I just unflagged and reflagged this post twice to test it, and it let me..Check that out.

Deebo
edit on 30-6-2011 by Deebo because: add

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Indeed i

flagged then un-flagged then flagged then un-flagged , omg decisions decisions decisions , the pressure is unbearable

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Hey its good to see ats is willing to change based on what it's members want. Flag for that.
edit on 30-6-2011 by mb2591 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I like the idea of the un-flag button although it was confusing me since I wasn't able to flag being under the 20 post quota. Maybe it should only be visible to members who are able to use it, but that won't apply to me anymore considering this is my #20.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Sweet!

Yknow, I always understood people's interest in an "anti-flag" system but totally understood the stance against it. Such a thing would be easily abused. But this new feature seems like a smart add. Nice.

Can't wait to accidently flag something and then unflag it.

Also, the "no flags for new members under 20 posts" seems reasonable as well. Good job.

Thanks for always adding to the site and trying to better our experiences on it.

MM

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I do like the other rule, 20 or more posts to flag.

I have to disagree with you on that point. There are quite a large number of members who are hardened lurkers, who by virtue of their membership have the right to flag a thread to the membership - let us just remind ourselves that this is the purpose of the flag, not an award, a flag to other members.

As SO said:

For members, it's your crucial signal to your fellow members who author threads that you feel their work is worthy.

That has now been denied to quite a large proportion of the membership. What is next? Not allowed to star until you have 20 posts?

You cannot FORCE people to participate in posting. You cannot ASSUME that all members feel competent to post or join in, but many enjoy reading. You cannot CAJOLE people into creating threads just to get 20 posts in.

Basically this is wrong

Additionally SO said:

Also, if you can't start a thread (a new account with less than 20 posts), you can't Flag a thread.

This is an assumption that cannot be made. Just because a member does not have 20 posts does NOT mean they are new.

The ability of ALL members to flag threads to the membership has just been lessened by this action.

I do agree with being able to unflag a previously flagged thread.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Yes, it seems that with the 20 post quota people will post a lot of B.S. to reach it. I know I did.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
F + UF for you, just for the fun............
k)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

That issue could have easily been resolved(or at the least- reduced). with a much less drastic change.
Introduction threads are the problem. Remove the ability to flag an intro thread, and the issue would not be so severe, and would not happen near as often.

I think this is good idea, star for you ( since i cannot star in this thread ).

I´m ok with the unflag function although all things considered...if people gave a new thread some more thought before pushing the keyboard i don´t really think this would be an issue.

I wonder how many will actually go back and unflag a thread once they loose interest..

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Really...how hard is it for anyone to make 20 contributing posts on this huge vast site of an incredible amount of topics?

I will never get the uproar over that. Seems a rather petty thing to argue about IMO.

20 posts - for anyone new or old - easy!

edit on June 30th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lacyisarobot

Yes, it seems that with the 20 post quota people will post a lot of B.S. to reach it. I know I did.

Well, spamming for 20 (posting a lot of BS) is not generally allowed. And if caught, the posts would be removed and the member post banned, generally. Reason being, ATS takes pride in quality of posts. But a look at your posting history, you did not do that

Some links for everyone to review:
20 post rule...
Welcome to ATS, Time to Introduce Yourself

Welcome to ATS

Now back to the topic: Some Changes To The Flagging System Today

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Really...how hard is it for anyone to make 20 contributing posts on this huge vast site of an holding an incredible amount of topics?

I respectfully suggest then that perhaps you do not have an understanding of the wider range of human frailties.

Some people are actually afraid to post because they are afraid of what it may lead them into. Just because you and I are are able to post ad lib does not mean that others are, but they are entitled to their voice in the form of alerting members by flagging.

I just think it is wrong to deny them this.

edit on 30/6/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The only thing I don't like about it is the color. It just doesn't mesh well at all with the overall color scheme of the rest of the site.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This is great! I feel honored that one of my suggestions (I just made a thread about it not too long ago!) was considered.

As far as the twenty posts, one could make twenty posts in BTS and that is more relaxed than ATS, so it is not hard to reach the twenty posts. If someone wants to participate by flagging, then making twenty posts should not be hard to accomplish. I agree with GEL on that score!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I haven't read this entire thread, only the original post by the site's owner. May I respectfully suggest something when it comes to flags?

Why not use flags as a type of monetary reward? For instance, I have 20 flags. I like newbie PosterXYZ topic on insert topic so I award her a flag. In turn PosterXYZ has 1 flag while I now have 19 flags?
edit on 30-6-2011 by cry93 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I like the changes. Both of them. Completely.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by cry93
I haven't read this entire thread, only the original post by the site's owner. May I respectfully suggest something when it comes to flags?

Why not use flags as a type of monetary reward? For instance, I have 20 flags. I like newbie PosterXYZ topic on insert topic so I award her a flag. In turn PosterXYZ has 1 flag while I now have 19 flags?
edit on 30-6-2011 by cry93 because: (no reason given)

What about inflation?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Now I understand what happened
I like the unflag idea I think it will help
Is it possible to weed out sock-pupit accounts ?
Also I have noticed aparent friends staring their simple oneline responces..is there any way to address this issue ?
Or was this a sock puppet account in action ??
edit on 30-6-2011 by granpabobby because: add usefull information

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks for listening to the members and taking the time to make this improvement. It's a great feature that will promote threads that encourage civil discourse. (hopefully)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Really...how hard is it for anyone to make 20 contributing posts on this huge vast site of an incredible amount of topics?

I will never get the uproar over that. Seems a rather petty thing to argue about IMO.

20 posts - for anyone new or old - easy!

Twenty posts ..simple
Welcome new members..post on topics you have an opinion on (not one liners ) 20 posts come in no time..even if you are shy
Dont let the fact that God knows how many people can read it..speak your mind and stay within the rules (READ THE RULES ) and all will be fine

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join