It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is lucid dreaming spiritually harmful?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I want to begin lucid dreaming but before I start I want to know peoples views on it. State your religion and view on if its spiritually harmful?

Physcologists: is it harmful to mental health?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by green-tree

I was using binaureal beats to attempt lucid dreaming, I experienced some very detailed and seemingly long dreams, abnormally long.

I stopped using them as I had a frightening experience with them once, it induced an episode of sleep paralysis (something ive never had) it was enough to put me off of trying them.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by green-tree
I want to begin lucid dreaming but before I start I want to know peoples views on it. State your religion and view on if its spiritually harmful?

From my experience with it, it's psychologically harmful because you can go through an entire night's sleep and wake up tired like you didn't get any sleep at all. I never got good enough at it to be able to control the content that well, so spiritually, I never got to wallow in my own evil thoughts enough for me to suffer for it. And anyway, I would imagine that getting everything you wanted in dreams helps you build self-esteem and possibly get a few of the things you might want in real life.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I was wondering the same thing.. I have heard a few people say that when they did that, or astral traveled, they saw horrific things which took a long time to get over. But those being a minority who saw bad things.

Deebo

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

I'm not particularly religious. I am somewhat spiritual and I believe in infinity and infinitely being. With that said, I believe it is of no "spiritual" consequence. HOWEVER, I was an active lucid dreamer for a short time, and I believe it was directly related to some psychic attacks from other worldly entities. In the end, I believe it was all worth it, however, you are opening a bigger door doing lucid dreaming that you might be aware of.

I say go for it. Lucid dreaming is awesome.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I always thought it was spiritually beneficial. But you never know.

It's psychologist, btw. hehe, you butchered that word pretty good.
I see no reason why it would be harmful for mental health.

The thing is everyone's brain and soul is different. so what's good for one person, might be terrible for another.

link   
Do you mean if you commit to a 'bad' action? I am thinking about this now... I have very limited experience with lucid dreaming, but naturally I would probably want to do things that I would not normally do in my waking life... but now I think it may have negative karmic effects... or hinder my spiritual development...

Thank you for asking this question, because I have never thought about it before!

Star for you

link   
double post...
edit on 30-6-2011 by Kevinquisitor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
If you do not understand your dreams and why you have them; your personal connection to them...are you sure you want to 'get in there' and start monkeying around with them?

Think of it like breathing...it goes on automatically just fine (usually), if you start to manipulate it on your own you can have either beneficial or detrimental effect - depending upon your knowledge of what you are doing.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
come on people... why is this even a question? it cant harm you because it IS you. jeesh..

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I would be very cautious of the advice you get from people who claim to have lucid dreams or experiences.

I can say this from someone who has had more lucid dreaming experience than most people who will comment on here if not all.

There is nothing bad at all about lucid dreaming.
Lucid dreaming opens a door that is usually closed or almost never open for the normal person.
It can help you realize things that most people are cut off from.
It can help you and increase your spiritual awareness in a positive way.
Most people create a bad situation b/c they freak out in SP and don't understand what is going on.

You've heard people say that dreams are your subconscious, well if that's true and you can control and be lucid in your dreams then you have access to information that was previously unavailable.

There is nothing at all bad with lucid dreaming. Trust me.

There are many sites on it but this one I found the guy has a really good grasp on it.
DeramStudies
edit on 30-6-2011 by SadButTrue because: added link

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

The binaural beats assisted you in astral projection.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Christian advice in particular.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by green-tree

Christian advice?

It all depends, if you wanna just have fun lucid dreaming you can do that.

If you want to expand you knowledge your gonna have to not constrain your beliefs to only Christian beliefs.

Not everyone can just lucid dream with a little practice, you're gonna have to dedicate yourself to several practices.

If you're lucky enough to experience lucid dreaming a lot, then your Christian beliefs will probably change because what you learn is not something written in a book by the same people who control you to this day.

Good luck.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I am no expert on the matter, but i have lucid dreams just about every night and i can tell you from my personal experience, its awesome. I feel great every morning no matter what i dream about, simply because it is epic to me, enthralling and something different from my everyday boring @$$ life. Last night i had a dream of being in caverns with a few friends and family members and we were jumped by jowas, the little creatures from star wars, and i was taken to their leader. He had a discussion with me about joining forces. I didnt know why he wanted this at first but i later found out i had super powers, somewhat like the hulk
Much after that was a blur, until i found myself in what seemed to be a middle eastern country with children running and playing and i felt at ease. Then i hear this loud thunder a few times and when i looked into the sky, american planes were dropping bombs and mortar fire on these kids as they ran and screamed in horror. The few kids that were near to me joined me in this sprint for our lives. I was running like a gazelle, speed not form
while watching as the missiles rained from above, landing near me knocking me down several times. I was in complete control of myself in this situation. After the bombs stopped, some forces came in and rounded up the remaining innocents and were going to put them in what looked like concentration camps, and i was not having it. I got into the biggest vehicle i could find, which this truck i entered was beyond huge, and ran straight into the prison, hopped out with a pistol and took revenge for the poor souls that were murdered. So, that is an example of lucid dreaming. I cant tell you what you will experience and whether or not it is psychologically damaging, i guess it depends on YOU.

Oh, religion, i am a Christian, but i am not one of those who throw it in your face or waste my time singing in a church to a dead revolutionary. I follow Christ's/God's commandments, and that is i all need to get by.

edit on 30-6-2011 by AOA2012 because: Peace and Love to All

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I'm a non practicing Catholic. I've pretty much moved away from organized religion and instead consider myself a Christian identist. From the knowledge I've gained throughout the years, lucid dreaming shouldn't be spiritually harmful. There's no place in the Bible that I'm aware of that discusses it, or anything related to it.

I say have at it. I've tried but failed.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

And they replied, “We both had dreams last night,
but no one can tell us what they mean.”
“Interpreting dreams is God’s business,” Joseph replied.
“Go ahead and tell me your dreams"
Genesis 40:8 (NLT)

"For in many dreams and in many words there is emptiness.
Rather, fear God."
Ecclesiastes 5:7 (NASB)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
My experiences with lucid dream has always included two aspects: the awareness that I am dreaming and the ability to consciously manipulate certain aspects of them. For example, if my dream starts to turn nightmarish I can simply remove myself from the situation by flying away if I'm outdoors or conjuring a door that opens to a non-threatening scene.

As far as moving off the astral plane and what have you, it is my opinion that is a different kind of experience altogether separate from lucid dreaming.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
My feelings here, is not, we are here for growth and little else matters. If you haven't noticed this life is dangerous just being here and it takes a lot of nerve just to drive a car, always within inches of death, think of it.

So I take a chance with lucid dreaming and find it interesting and enlightening, it is yourself at the controls. One of my last OBE's was mine entirely and I had a wonderful time, but then it got scary and I was warned away from what I encountered. Think about that, we are observed and watched.

Other outing including lucid dreams are as one said, controlled by others and are lessons, just go for it, a little scary but no worse than living this existence unless you are one of those timid types. I only say scary as I have seen things that could effect our future negatively, but then there was also great hope. Just go into all of this with a positive knowing it is your right to take control. I recently mentally yelled at a negative being and told him I was in control of my own destiny and to go away. He left. GROW!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

You know what that may just be, I saw very bright light, so bright I couldn't see anything and was unable to move or feel my body. The freaky thing was I went from that to instantly awake and able to move, as if I blinked and the light was gone, not like waking up at all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join