It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 4 Most Likely Ways You Can Die If the SHTF

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Illness Due to Poor Water Conditions

Typically, any diseases that are brought on by lack of sanitation and hygiene are controllable and preventable. In a disaster where water sources are compromised, people within a 50 mile radius could be adversely impacted by illness and disease if just one person incorrectly handles water or incorrectly disposes of waste. Contaminated water, poor sanitation and/or lack of hygeine leads to diseases such as Hepatitis A, viral gastroenteritis, cholera, Shigellosis, typhoid, Diphtheria and polio. If these diseases affect enough people, an epidemic will ensue.

Malnutrition

Malnutrition from either improper water conditions or from lack of nutrients is also a large killer amongst those in impoverished communities. Medical experts say there is a symbiotic relationship between malnutrition and diarreah. Malnutrition increases the severity of diarrhea while diarrhea can cause malnutrition. Either way, prevention for both of these health issues is key.

Acute Respiratory Infections

Upper respiratory infections (URI) will also be a leading cause of death in a long term disaster. Upper respiratory infections include: colds, flu, sore throat, coughs and bronchitis can usually be cured with additional liquids, rest and nourishment. Allowing the illness to exacerbate will lead to secondary infections such as bacterial pneumonia. The germs from pneumonia are easily spread from an infected person to others by coughing or sneezing or through close contact. A major concern about respiratory infections is that there are many drug resistant strands of viruses, bacterias and diseases (including tuberculosis), that regular medicine will not cure. In a long term disaster situation, many could perish.

Infections From Wounds

Open injuries have the potential for serious bacterial wound infections, including gas gangrene and tetanus, and these in turn may lead to long term disabilities, chronic wound or bone infection, and death. Antibiotics will be few and far between and will be more precious than gold. Without proper medicines, antiseptic and knowledge on proper medical procedures, many will die of bacterial infections. Learning medical skills, gaining knowledge on natural medicines and alternative medical antiseptic (i.e., Dakin’s Solution) before a disaster occurs could help people survive from wound infections. Also, ensuring the area that you treat medical emergencies is clean and as sterile as possible may also prevent bacterial infections.

www.shtfplan.com...

There is a lot of things you need to worry about when the SHTF. These 4 items I haven’t really taken in account and am going to have to work on making ways of preventing them. Its just one more thing you will have to worry about when the SHTF. You wont have a Doctor to go to when you have a tummy ache

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I would have to say that dehydration is the biggest one. Finding a clean fresh water source has got to be your number one priority. You can last weeks without food, but only a couple of days without water. If its extremely hot, then even less. Also, these killers are even more compounded by lack of hydration. If you don't have water and you get diarrhea, you can pretty much considered yourself done.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Since I live in Phoenix the water thing has always been something to think about. I may not get sick from water if I can't find any! This and food have been the reasons I started looking into how Apache and Navajo Indians lived here in case I decide to wander to the outskirts of Phoenix.

Another way you could die that isn't listed here is hoarding goods and refusing to share with people who come desprate. Hell, maybe the first ones to come would be willing to render service to you in return. I think that's probably one of the first ways people may start dieing before diseases set in.
edit on 30-6-2011 by Artanis667 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Artanis667
Since I live in Phoenix the water thing has always been something to think about. I may not get sick from water if I can't find any! This and food have been the reasons I started looking into how Apache and Navajo Indians lived here in case I decide to wander to the outskirts of Phoenix.

Another way you could die that isn't listed here is hoarding goods and refusing to share with people who come desprate. Hell, maybe the first ones to come would be willing to render service to you in return. I think that's probably one of the first ways people may start dieing before diseases set in.
edit on 30-6-2011 by Artanis667 because: (no reason given)

Phoenix, wow its going to be hard for you to bug out. you have dry land 100's of miles all around you. hope you get out in time knowing there is only 4 or 5 highways out

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Clean water will be essential, this will mean a good water supply. I am fortunate to have multiple water sourses close by. This does not mean the water will remain clean. In a long term shtf event the water will be polluted in a short period of time. People will bathe, wash clothes and dispose of waste in the creeks and rivers. Purification will be a necessity.

I have a rudimentary rain barrel system that will work where I live. We get a decent amount of rainfall but not all places get enough rainfall to take care of their needs. A well would be ideal for a continous supply. Bad water will be deadly especially when there is no medicine to treat the diseases. Never take for granted water is safe to drink just because it looks clear.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
That is the four most probable in your opinion OP??? what about these points:

1 Killed directly by a human being (shotgun, knife, bludgeoned to death)
2 Killed indirectly by a human being (bomb shell on head, step on a mine, radiation poisoning, chemical poisoning)
3 Killed by infection (wounds, MRSA, diseased water)
4 Killed by your own stupidity (insert stupid act here)

I'm in Australia, so we don't have wild bears or tigers or anything big (cassowary and pig leave u alone mostly) but if you have big animals that want to eat you, add those to the list.

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

there is a fifth way to die that you failed to mention

and that is to expect the government to come rescue your butt...
that'll kill you quicker than the four you listed
edit on 5-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
The number one way people will die when SHTF:

Lack of preparation. A few hours a month of preparation can eliminate the majority of deadly things one may face.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Thankfully I've been blessed with a strong constitution and when I have a stomach problem etc I self-medicate. It's served me well in SE Asia when I was wildernessing it.
The worst I've had is water poisoning and that was a 3-4 day fever. Pretty grim stuff but once you've come through it you'll never look at routine stomach ache as a heavy thing

top topics

join