It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS allowed in governmental buildings while other sites aren't

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
As some of you already know, I am currently "locked up" albeit voluntarily, inside a National Institute of Health hospital just outside of Washington, DC. I'm here for extensive neurological testing relating to a seizure disorder, and MRI anomaly in my brain and potential brain surgery to correct these issues. But that's another thread. I've been here for 10 days now, and have noticed something I find peculiar, and interesting about website access.

For the first few days, I was too paranoid to even attempt to access ATS through the computer in my room, and would only access it through my phone. Then decided to brave it over last weekend. Surprisingly, it let me access the site and log in. I was able to navigate the site and reply to threads just fine and seemingly without restrictions. My paranoid brain decided they were trying to lull me into a false sense of security, and are probably key logging every stroke I make.

So nothing really notable so far. Then, Monday, I attempted to access the WorldOfWarcraft official website to see details on the upcoming patch I suspected was due. I was denied access.

You have attempted to access Internet content that NIH has identified as a security threat or inappropriate for government use*.

hmmmmm

Then I started noticing other things. Even though I don't have accounts at social networking sites, I tried to access them. Same restrictions. I tried some other conspiracy sites, and some were allowed, some weren't. So then I went on a spree. Many, many sites I tried were blocked.

But here is the weird part. I was willing to "accept" everything so far as governmental bs screening. Then I noticed some...not all, but some ads were blocked on my home newspapers website. I started noticing ads blocked on my.yahoo.com, and other places I went. Then I realized NOTHING was blocked from ATS. I try my best to adhere to the ATS T&C about ad blocking software, yet occasionally something always gets blocked.Not here though. Every single ad on every single page that has ads got through. Even when I wasn't signed in. Every ad. Yet most every other site I visited had ads blocked.

Is ATS really in a league with the government? I hope not. But now I'm seriously wondering. How does ATS get access first, with most other sites that involve forums, boards or other access with people can't? And now more importantly, how do all of ATS's ads get through? Traffic seems to get more and more here on ATS, while solid content seems to keep going down. Yet the government is allowing all of the theories, paranoia, and associated juvenile BS to get through it's content filters, while many other more seemingly "acceptable" sites can't.
edit on 30-6-2011 by webpirate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Let me reply by telling you that I work in the hospital environment. My internet access is restricted as well. I'm able to view ATS and all of their "ads" because the "ad rotating" company that ATS uses is pretty reputable and already has filtering/censoring in effect. I'm not able to visit anything related to gaming, etc. The same goes for social networking sites.

So, it's likely that the hospital you are at is running the same web filtering software that my hospital uses.

I don't think there is any conspiracy here. They just like to keep the employees using the network as productive as possible.

Oh, and Good Luck with everything. I hope everything turns out okay for you!
edit on 6/30/2011 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

+43 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
Is ATS really in a league with the government?

-sigh-

No. How many times does this silly question need to be answered? And, perhaps more importantly, why can't members (especially those that have been around since 2007) realize that making that supposition is insulting to the many people who work hard to keep this site running, and running smoothly?

How does ATS get access first, with most other sites that involve forums, boards or other access with people can't?

Most domain-blocking firewalls require specific domain blocking in the settings, combined with a default list. Because we work hard to avoid discussion of things like drugs and don't allow vulgarities, we tend not to be automatically included in default lists of blocked domains. Do our policies make sense now?

Also, our custom-designed forum system doesn't have the default "appearance" (in so far as template HTML) as discussion boards using commercial/free systems. For example, it's easy to block all VBulletin discussion boards because all home pages share the same distinct HTML attributes

And now more importantly, how do all of ATS's ads get through?

We only use top-tier ad networks with quality reputations who are part of the Network Advertising Initiative. More and more domain-blockers are restricting access to ad-serving domains not part of the NAI list.

(You'd be surprised to learn how many inquiries we get every month from other banner ad networks promising to double/triple our ad revenue... but since they're not part of the NAI, we ignore them.)
edit on 30-6-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
First. Bravo SkepticOverlord!

Second. How do you jump from "this site isn't blocked" to "must be Big Brother!"?

Is Neopets blocked? How about Sesame Street? Homebrewtalk.com*?

*One of my favorites

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This site is basically ran by members, there may be a few dis info agents on the site but im sure most are not. At most ATS is just a place where the FED can keep an eye out on the alternative news and make sure we don't start a revolution, illegal activities, or mayhem. Im pretty sure the FED doesn't care tho were no real threat to them if we were im sure ATS members would be having "accidents".

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Apparently, my level of paranoia goes up with my seizure activity. I didn't mean anything nefarious towards ATS with the post, but my thought process also got sidetracked while making the post and it didn't come out quite like I had meant.

I did say I hoped ATS wasn't involved, and actually meant ATS involvement other than a passing thought as tongue-in-cheek.

I was trying to make a point that EVERYTHING ATS related was allowed. And that the potential for key logging was here from where I am. I never really tied the thoughts together though like I intended, and meant it more as a governmental conspiracy to find ATS members than ATS really being in a relationship with the government.

But since I can see I'm not making sense at the moment, I'm gonna just shut up on the matter. I was going to just message this to SO, then decided to post where all could see I didn't really mean ATS involvement as anything other than governmental allowance to gather info I guess.

BTW...Homebrew.com and neopets were allowed, while surprisingly, Sesame Street isn't.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I hope everything goes well with your medical issues.

I think the title of the thread is what got a reaction.

Best of Luck...

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

I think the title of the thread is what got a reaction.

TY
And you're probably right. I don't even know how to change it at the moment to reflect what I mean....

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Word on the street is that this is a CIA site. Thats not far fetched at all to consider ATS a CIA creation. They do way more than snoop and poop out along the waterway. But really this issue will not be resolved.... I cant say that I know for sure anyway.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I don't know if you if you have tried this or not but if the firewall is blocking certain web address's, you can...

Go to "run" in the start menu and type "cmd" (without the inverted commas)

Then at the dos prompt type "ping thewebsiteyouwant.com" (without the inverted commas)

and this will give you an IP address. For example "123.456.789.123".

Use this IP (without the inverted commas) in your web browser and you should be able to access the web address.

For example type (without the inverted commas)

"http://123.456.789.123/"

This should get you past most firewalls

Enjoy

edit on 30/6/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

edit on 30/6/2011 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
"Maybe ATS Really Is A Governmental Dis-Info Site"

No, it is not. Now I am willing to say that maybe a few of their agents are running around on ATS but that is not surprising at all. They have such agents running around all over the net. If you read their post really carefully sometimes they give them self's away.

That is odd. The title of this thread change while I was typing.
edit on 6/30/2011 by fixer1967 because: to add

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
Word on the street is that this is a CIA site.

Insult much?

When invited to a neighbor's house for a party, do you concoct the most absurd insult and tell it to him in front of all other guests?

I cant say that I know for sure anyway.

Then why say it? Oh, that's right, you enjoy insulting your hosts.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
When invited to a neighbor's house for a party, do you concoct the most absurd insult and tell it to him in front of all other guests?

Well said. And...

They do way more than snoop and poop out along the waterway.

What the hell does that even mean, anyway?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Without sounding disrespectful here SO, you do have to expect that many visitors and members of this site will go down this path, it's their prerogative.

It's like when someone posts an anti-ATS thread and it get dozens of flags.

There's an irony in it all... with just a little too much paranoia thrown in.

edit on 30/6/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I was just letting you know what I hear. Nothing intended other than that. I really enjoy comming ATS.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Hope you are doing well Pirate, your changing things for the better in there, must be unnerving to say the least.

@ Skeptic Overlord, shame on you, as i see nothing Silly in his observations from his location.

i wonder at the security of this site. being a web designer myself, i find it odd as to how i can access every single members personal photos , surely this isnt scripted .. i could understand if it worked on a Privilege system i.e friends have access, mods etc. but no, i can still access every single members photos

maybe this is intentional?

funbox

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
you do have to expect that many visitors and members of this site will go down this path, it's their prerogative.

They certainly may do so, but I will refuse to expect or accept it.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I was just letting you know what I hear. Nothing intended other than that. I really enjoy comming ATS.

Innocent or not, just by stating it, you're continuing to perpetuate the notion.
edit on 6/30/2011 by freakjive because: spelling

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive
[

They do way more than snoop and poop out along the waterway.

What the hell does that even mean, anyway?

It means the CIA runs all sorts of operation far from the battlefield. Snoop and poop is a term used for small combat area recon teams that lurk only...just snoop and poop....remain unseen and undetected.
edit on 30-6-2011 by Logarock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I was just letting you know what I hear.

You never do your own research?

If you "heard" your neighbor might be a sex offender, would you proclaim what you "heard" when you enter his house party in front of all his guests?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join