It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Television ads for junk food really do make children hungry for those treats, especially if they wat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Television ads for junk food really do make children hungry for those treats, especially if they watch a lot of television, according to a study.

www.reuters.com

The findings, published in Pediatrics, come amid growing calls to ban junk food advertisements aimed at children in order to combat obesity -- most recently from the American Academy of Pediatrics, which issued a policy statement on junk food ads on Monday.

In tests with 6- to 13-year olds, researchers led by Emma Boyland of the University of Liverpool in the UK found that a DVD featuring commercials for fast food and junk food seemed to whet children's appetites for sweet and high-fat fare.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Read the full article for all the information.

This goes to show, how ad companies have become so good that they can even influence us via the media. The fact that these ads might be aimed at their target market, although they might say otherwise, of young children, who is suseptable to it, just shows how they have fine tuned the art of manipulation.

It is ironic how this specifically impact children that watch alot of television, that is too say, more than 21 hours a week.
Because this means, the more they watch, the more they want the junk food, then they sit in front of the tv, eat their junk food, and want even more, because of the ads.

It is an evil cycle.

But more than this, i think it is the parents responsibility to promote a healthy lifestyle, with healthy eating habits and exsercise for their kids.

Because it is always easy to blame the media for something, that could easily be fixed at home.

VvV

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Always works on me, too. I can't watch prime-time television anymore because it was costing me about $1,000 dollars a week in Burger King.
Damn you flame-broiled whopper!
edit on 30-6-2011 by josh2009s because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Thank god for researches like this! They have stumbled upon the basics of advertising!
Present a (product/item/lifestyle/whatever) in an attempt to convince the viewer they want said "thing".

And if you watch more of these, they will then effect you more

On a serious note, the responsibility rests with the parents. This is a typical nanny style approach (parents can't be bothered saying no to their children, lets do it for them) that truly rubs me the wrong way.

My only concern is, what if the child reads about Macca's? (ban advertisment in print)
What if they see the sign and get hungry? (ban company logos)

Parents, if you child jiggles when they walk, perhaps its time to stop buying fast food and spend time with your kids doing an activity that involves more energy then grabbing a remote

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by josh2009s

Always works on me, too. I can't watch prime-time television anymore because it was costing me about $1,000 dollars a week in Burger King.
Damn you flame-broiled whopper!
edit on 30-6-2011 by josh2009s because: (no reason given)

JESUS CHRIST.

no I know you're just using big numbers to catch attention. We all do that. Why I remember as a young child I did that. Oh boy it worked, I was accosted with chumachumps and cold cans of fanta. It was great. All I had to do was age enough to enjoy them.

*grabs flame broiled whopper packet - ponders how you broil anything in a flame... Learns the US meaning of broil, looks at whopper packet.... eats it anyway*

SO anyway...*munch munch* Just what are your intentions *munch munch* around heya parts?

Oh ... just being post banned, please sir, go away....

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

...can even influence us via the media.

You have to be kidding ....the media IS the primary route of influence, and children are an easy target.
Turn off the TV, go get some fresh air.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   

You have to be kidding ....the media IS the primary route of influence, and children are an easy target. Turn off the TV, go get some fresh air.
reply to post by Chett

Mate, you quoted a piece out of context, to do what? I barely watch 4 hours a week tv, so please keep your "wise words" to yourself.

Of course the media influences us, tv being one of the mediums used. It is however the fact, that everyone, including you realize it, yet, do nothing about it. Just keep on watching, being manipulated by it.

vvv

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   

it was on tv not to long ago about how [in court] it was proven that the mcdonalds corpseration haha spends millions upon millions of dollars a year on what chemical ingrediants make people drool when they smell the food
or makes mouth whatever,what makes them want more after they are full and what stimulates the eyes and the taste buds.with all the stuff i have learned about the food and the water i have found that it is best to make food at home but it has gotten so bad that to cook a meal would cost about the same as eating out and can have alot of the same chemicals in it.so what to do ?not to worry you have gotten this far surely you will keep going....
stay away from that tend to not give you energy
stay away from sodas
stay away from plastic containing bpa or bisphenol-a
stay away from commercially chopped up chicken patties and hamburgers high in fat full of garbage strips are ok
stay away from foods that the store does not have a variety of [example]if you see only to types of something chances are the store gets deal on these products for a reason because they are cheap or they are shipped from far far away like mexico do not buy knowing the store has not only cameras but boom mikes [microphones that pick up convos] i said out loud at store why cant i get a tomato from canada i live in washington why am i getting garbage from 5000 miles away....month later they had canadian to matos in store
stay away from free food[vendors] no matter what they have who cares you are not there to help big business sales
stay away canned foods that have bpa
eat only locally grown produce that is from a farmer NOT someone selling on the corner !most times they use too much chemicals or none at all and the food is not properly washed the soil contains many contaminants nowadays

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

thats called an addiction thats what you had, i stopped junk food as such as McDonalds back in the mid late 90s, it was very easy for me to stop eating them, and ever since i never went to any fast foods places nor had as a teenager.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
All fast food , fizzy drinks and candy ads should have the same kind of warning as cigarettes do.
Except their warning should be something like this

"WARNING - Eating fatty or 'fast' food, candies and carbonated soft drinks WILL make you UNINTELLIGENT, OBESE and suseptable to bullying."

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Fast foods are not the only culprit. Any processed food is. Look at people in remote areas of the world, they don't eat processed foods and they are healthier than we are! When was the last time you saw an obese African tribal member? There is a foundation that provides information about our diets and what we SHOULD be eating.

Weston A. Price Foundation

If you had grandparents who lived on farms, then think back to what they ate and how long they lived. My grandfather lived to be 91, and my grandmother at 97 still lives at home unassisted. They ate lard, bacon, eggs, beef and raw dairy. Yet neither of them had any high cholesterol. My grandfather worked in the coal mines and had one lung removed in the 60's. Yet he smoked a pack of Winston every day until he died of old age. If you want good health, and a long life then you owe it to yourself to get off of the processed food wagon and start eating the way we were intended to eat. I can't believe we evolved to be an imperfect species. I believe our ancestors knew what was good for them and ate it. it has only been in the last 80 - 90 years that our diets have drastically changed. Disease and chronic illness has been on the rise since then.

Food for thought (humor intended)!

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
From the OP - "In tests with 6- to 13-year olds, researchers led by Emma Boyland of the University of Liverpool in the UK found that a DVD featuring commercials for fast food and junk food seemed to whet children's appetites for sweet and high-fat fare."

My personal opinion is that statement contains another fallacy, that regarding "fat". While I agree we need to limit our fat intake and be especially aware of good fats vs bad ones, fat actually gives us a "signal" that we've been satisfied, that we've had our fill. Without fat our binging can go on until other indicators finally shout "enough!". This is why we have so many unhealthy Low-Fat or No-Fat foods on our shelves, the manufacturers know we can eat more of these before getting the "satiety" signal. Instead they load the food full of umami and watch us go at it.

Who's umami? www.abovetopsecret.com... I have tried to answer that question before. You love her but she doesn't always tell you what is best for you. Essentially she is not bad, you love umami, umami is good for us, but in this artificial world of today where there are so many new traps put out to deceive us and lure us in it really is hard to know what is right anymore.

Food for thought:

opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...

We may not be “addicted” in the classic sense, but turning this ship around isn’t easy. A recent article by Jonah Lehrer in Wired examined the science of satisfaction, suggesting that the pleasure we derive from eating is not limited to the way that food tastes on the tongue. The article discusses a recent study in which scientists examined a strain of mice that were incapable of enjoying the taste of glutamate (essentially umami). The mice were fed water heavily dosed with MSG (concentrated umami), and even though they couldn’t taste it, they learned to strongly prefer it to the non-MSG alternative. What the scientists found was that the mice were enjoying the protein via their digestive tracts. Our digestive system, a secondary receptor totally independent of our tongues, seems to crave calorie-dense foods like umami-rich animal proteins, no matter what they taste like.

Let's face it, they are out to get us. When there is a product to push we become the target. Good for us or not they will make it as enticing and addictive as humanly possible then tell us "Buyer Beware". It is our problem to avoid their snare.

edit on 30-6-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I don't even eat fast-food, I was just being sarcastic.

top topics

join