It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The first advertising campaign for non-human primates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

www.newscientist.com

Keith Olwell and Elizabeth Kiehner..learned that captive monkeys understand money, and that when faced with economic games they will behave in similar ways to humans. So if they can cope with money, how would they respond to advertising?

The objective, says Olwell, is to see if advertising can make brown capuchins change their behaviour. The team will create two brands of food specifically targeted at brown capuchins, one supported by an ad campaign and the other not.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Well, this is just a generally interesting article on many fronts. A lot of experiments these days are probing the boundries between animal and human. There are all sorts of ethical implications about the the place of animals in society.

Then, bizzarely perhaps, there is the economic angle: If the economy can expand by creating new markets, could selling to other species one day be a boom business?

There are also things to be learned from this about the way humans respond to advertising, and how deep its effects truly are.

www.newscientist.com

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

www.newscientist.com

Keith Olwell and Elizabeth Kiehner..learned that captive monkeys understand money, and that when faced with economic games they will behave in similar ways to humans. So if they can cope with money, how would they respond to advertising?

The objective, says Olwell, is to see if advertising can make brown capuchins change their behaviour. The team will create two brands of food specifically targeted at brown capuchins, one supported by an ad campaign and the other not.

Awesome find!

I like to think that monkeys and such are deliberately ignorant as they see the mess we made and decided not to evolve to ensure they didnt have the same stresses and issues!

I just hope they dont build a macdonalds in the jungle and start targeting cheetah's!

whatever next ??!?!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I truely feel for the animals.

With any experiment we do, seems to me at least we use em for our way's like an alien abduction ect.

The true experiment IMO is that of the human rsponse to said experiment.....

If monkey's can be programed then so can we...been there done that..still fightin it.

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

This is interesting on a phsycological perspective, however i believe it will most likley be used to find other more effective ways in advertising to us.

Laurie Santos, the Yale University primatologist who gave the TED talk, studies monkeys as a way of exploring the evolution of the human mind. A partnership was soon born between Santos, and Olwell and Kiehner's company Proton. The resulting monkey ad campaign was unveiled on Saturday at the Cannes Lions Festival, the creative festival for the advertising industry.
[

There showing the results at the advertisment festival as soon as they get the results, dont realy need to say much more.
edit on 28-6-2011 by Trolloks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
This reminds me of a South Park episode.

The Tiger Woods episode.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Great find.

Definitely will be interested in the results.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Advertising=propaganda.
Propaganda designed to manipulate people to think what the propagandists, the advertisers, want us to think.

Don't lie to me with denials about this being over reaction. This is pure and simple. If you cannot see this you haven't a clue about conspiracy.

In the beginning of modern advertising, advertisers went and sat at the feet of the first scientists of human psychology. They learned how to control human thought. They have been doing so for well over a hundred years.

This thing with the monkeys. Their not going to sell anything to monkeys, and they already know just about all they need to know about human behavior except how to drive the final nail into our coffins.

Good find OP. But the whole thing is bogus.

We have arrived at the point where we admire these lying sacks of festering meat we call salesmen and advertisers. They have gotten us to hold up their petty lies as entertainment and even art.

Now this article about studying advertising on monkeys so we can learn more about human behavior? At the behest of two advertising executives? Come on gang. This should be as obvious as the noses on our faces.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

Trolloks.

Hicks. He had such a way of cutting right to the chase. Your posting this video sums it up perfectly.
Thanks. It is much more succinct than my little rant above.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

Cheetahs love them Cheetos

Pretty cool concept actually, lets see what they find.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Sorry, can't resist.

Can you hear me now?

After numerous redials the monkey continued getting a busy signal when calling the zoo. Frustrated, he called the zoo keeper on another number who answered. The monkey asked to speak to the lion to which the zoo keeper replied, I'm sorry but the lion is busy.

/MD
edit on 29-6-2011 by MaskedDebater because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-6-2011 by MaskedDebater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

They already sell to others species.. incase you haven't seen the price of dog food.

Or dog snuggies.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Is this really so different than advertising to human primates?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Very good post.
2 line

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Now that they can't pressure grown ups to by more things, and that kids are saturated with ideas of what to get them as a present, they are going to target the domestic animal market?

Next time the dog asks for the door, it may mean it wants to go shopping! ( I know, dogs aren't primates... )

I didn't know non-human primates could use money, tho I knew they could exchange things for services... ( Give me a banana and I'll eat all your fleas kind of trade... )

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If chimps could sell tea for decades I don't see why not actually now that I think about it.

2nd

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Is it coincidental that the film Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes is out shortly? Clever genetically altered monkeys taking over the world...Are they trying to tell us something?

Might as well start early and try and sell them stuff. If they get caught up in rampant consumerism they might forget all about it?
edit on 29/6/2011 by Grifter81 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Obviously the Human population is not over populated if the elite feel they need to include the animal population in their scavenging for money. They drag us down into an economic collapse and when there is no more they begin to attack non Humans in order to take more. When is enough, enough? Are they going to incarcerate for non payment of dept like they illegally do to Humans under the "Failure to Comply" guise? This will set a whole new fight for animal rights, pulling even more money and distractions from the truth simply to make these sub Humans feel better about themselves.

new topics

top topics

join