It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I finally did IT and it feels liberating!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
so today I did it:
I filled out the paperwork and sent it with an official letter to the archbishopric
and requested to be removed from the baptism register.
I expect the confirmation within a few weeks.

I am no longer a member of the Roman Catholic church and it feels liberating!
I think I'll celebrate tonight

and I hope that next time I visit a church as a tourist I don't catch on fire! J/K

Congrats! Peace - Energy - Love - and all that.

I officially resigned from the Mormon church. Not the easiest thing to do.

I love the way they run their lives and their wards - - - its just that Jesus thing. If it wasn't for that - - I'd join again.

Happy to be an Atheist

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
When I had my first child - - 40 some years ago - - I was still a believer.

I had some friends who were very religious and wanted to be god parents. So I agreed to have her baptized. I insisted that she be baptized as "Child of God" - - no other religious affiliation. The church was not amused.

However - to their credit (Lutheran) - - they did baptize her as "Child of God". It was a private baptism. They did refuse to do it in church in front of the congregation.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I never knew you could get "un-baptized"....

Congrats?

Seriously though, glad you found your own spiritual path. Whatever deity does or does not exist, whatever power or force binds the cosmos...I personally feel he/she/they, etc. don't really give a rat's arse what we believe....

Seriously, if YOU were a God...would you really care? I think I'd have better things to do....
(and, if I didn't, then I wouldn't feel worthy of your adoration or worship).

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies

Today I received a letter in which they tell me that they can't accept my request of being removed from the baptism register. Starting the procedure will require a "handwritten" letter and the exact date and hour of the baptism. They also wrote that it is impossible to receive a copy of it.

Now this is utter bs!
Since when is a typed letter with autoghraph not good enough? I thought we left the middle ages some time ago...*sigh*
Do they think I will change my mind when I need to write it down manually? Or maybe they think I will forget about it when I have to put in some more effortt?
This is so typically a Katholic church thing!

Sadly I don't have the exact date and hour of my baptism. Only the year and a timespan of 3 months in which I was baptized in. I'm sure they can look it up.... but are not willing.

and then the copy,
Now according our law on privacy, I have the RIGHT to receive a copy. There are strict laws on keeping private information in a database or register and they all say that I have the right to know what is in it. These laws also apply on the Katholic church.
And yet they say it is a no-no... but I can always make an apointment and take a look at the register with my own eyes.... *sigh again*

I asked my mother if she could search again for a date but she thinks she hasn't got any of it anymore. I know the baptism records are with her marriage papers, which she lost years ago....

If all else fails the only thing I can do is head for my birthtown and make an apointment with the priest of the church I was baptized in and see if we can get the register out of the archives to search through.... but even if the priest is willing to do this, how weard will that be?
Asking a priest to help me become un-baptized..... not your typical thing to do; lol

and next, I'll have to do it all over again to undo my 1st holy comunion.... untill you do both you remain a member of the Roman Katholic church.

well anyway, I keep updating when I have more news

edit on 2/7/2011 by GypsK because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/7/2011 by GypsK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
Thanks for all the replies

Today I received a letter in which they tell me that they can't accept my request of being removed from the baptism register. Starting the procedure will require a "handwritten" letter and the exact date and hour of the baptism. They also wrote that it is impossible to receive a copy of it.

Kind of the same crap with the Mormon church.

However - because of Prop 8 (Mormons financing it with millions of dollars) - - - made a lot of Mormons angry - - because this is actually against teachings - - to interfere in how other people live their lives.

Several websites with form letters and instructions on how to get officially removed from the church went up. The Mormon church lost thousands of members - - by official resignation.

I bet if you search you can find instructions on how to get your name officially removed from your church.

People stop going to church - - but the church keeps them on the "count" to bolster their numbers. They do not want people removing their names from the "count".

Stick with it - - don't let them win.
edit on 2-7-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join