It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TSA employees diagnosed with cancer, naked body scanners to blame.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
FOIA documents via EPIC law suit reveal cancer threat

In a FOIA lawsuit against the Department of Homeland Security, EPIC has just obtained documents concerning the radiation risks of TSA's airport body scanner program. The documents include agency emails, radiation studies, memoranda of agreement concerning radiation testing programs, and results of some radiation tests. One document set reveals that even after TSA employees identified cancer clusters possibly linked to radiation exposure, the agency failed to issue employees dosimeters - safety devices that could assess the level of radiation exposure.

Another document indicates that the DHS mischaracterized the findings of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, stating that NIST "affirmed the safety" of full body scanners. The documents obtained by EPIC reveal that NIST disputed that characterization and stated that the Institute did not, in fact, test the devices. Also, a Johns Hopkins University study revealed that radiation zones around body scanners could exceed the "General Public Dose Limit."

One of the documents: epic.org...

Top of page two, second paragraph:

Quite a few TSO's consistently complain to me [as I am sure they are complaining to TSA] about their concern over the growing number of TSOs working here that have been diagnosed as having cancer and of their concerns that TSA's utilized technology may be to blame.

edit on 28-6-2011 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

+30 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
So the naked body scanners are not safe... Our government lied to us??? I’m in shock.

edit on 28-6-2011 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Well it goes to show that a little death scare will turn even a TSA agent against his
bosses.

It will take something like this for the TSA staff to rebel against their own employers.

Unless it is buried it could get quite interesting!!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheButcher23

Couldnt agree more.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Good Summary of the Article here for people who don't want to sort through the documentation.

New Documents Prove TSA "Mischaracterized" Safety Aspects of Full Body Scanners

On June 24, 2011, EPIC released documents obtained from DHS as a result of EPIC's lawsuit.

The disclosed documents include agency emails, radiation studies, memoranda of agreement concerning radiation testing programs, and results of some radiation tests.

The documents raise new questions concerning the radiation risks posed by the TSA full body scanner program. The records demonstrate:

-TSA employees have identified cancer clusters allegedly linked to radiation exposure while operating body scanners and other screening technology. However, the agency failed to issue employees dosimeters - safety devices that would warn of radiation exposure.

-The DHS has publicly mischaracterized the findings of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, stating that NIST "affirmed the safety" of full body scanners. NIST stated that the Institute did not, in fact, test full body scanners for safety, and that the Institute does not do product testing.

- A Johns Hopkins University study revealed that radiation zones around body scanners could exceed the “General Public Dose Limit.”

-A NIST study warns airport screeners to avoid standing next to full body scanners.

OP the link to the summarization u have to click the link inside the Link might wanna change it to this one.

Epic V. Department Of Homeland Security- Full Body Scanner Radiation Risks.

edit on 28-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Please...

I think it's safe to say some TSA employees will eventually contract cancer because of the continual exposure to radiation. Anyone who believes that this can now be established either is completely deluded or has contact with an advanced alien civilization.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
yeah who cares.. nowadays everthing in this world can cause cancer.. most of us will die of cancer i guess..

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Luzifer
yeah who cares.. nowadays everthing in this world can cause cancer.. most of us will die of cancer i guess..

No doubt that cancer rates are on the rise. The point, however, is the fact that our government has once again been caught lying in a blatant show of disregard for the citizens, both workers and passengers alike.

+26 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Not to sound harsh and unfeeling, cancer sucks and I wish it on no one, but this is a bit of karmic serendipity.
The "I'm just doing my job." attitude that they use to justify invasive molestation and complicite erosion of the liberties and dignity of their fellow human countrymen of all ages from 6 to 60 does not put these people beyond reproach.

As sentient, sovereign individuals of any intelligence, they are well able to determine right from wrong and choose to comply or dissent. They made their choices, either ignored or possessed no conscience. All choices, for good or ill, have consequences if not readily apparent.
edit on 6/28/2011 by dethduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by dethduck

I was thinking a long the same lines. Kinda like a "karma" thing. They could of have chosen not to be a part of such tyranny, but since they chose to be a part of it, the consequence is their health. Too bad.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
O noes...Now they're going to have to fondle everyone!! Yikes. I didn't see this one coming, and I still feel sorry for the people doing the work, but I do not feel sorry for the TSA.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Nothing would make me happier than all TSA agents nationwide dropping dead of cancer. Please god make it happen. "Just following orders" wasn't good enough to get Nazi's off the hook last time. Karma is a !%$@.
edit on 28-6-2011 by Observer99 because: edit

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I thought these devices were dangerous. Turns out they really are. Not a good career choice for these people.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Its just karma. The TSA is akin to the Jews that herded their own kind into ghettos, on to the trains, and into the chambers in Nazi Germany. They get to wear a special uniform and get a few special priviledges from the masters in order to scare, harass, and violate the rights of their fellow man. Serves their asses right in my opinion! In fact, If I could keep from having to pay for any cancer treatment for these s.o.b.'s so they could suck that gov't tit full of radiation and toxic chemicals on their own dime until it kills them, I absolutely would. I only wish the I.R.S. had more potent scanners!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Since when do you get cancer from low level radiation in less than two years?

The sky is falling. The sky is falling.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
That's what you get for patting down children.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
So of two evils we get a clearly defined "greater evil" and the public will cease to push back against naked scanners and molestation and focus only on the cancer-causing scanners and accept the molestation as the "lesser evil."

What was an outrage yesterday becomes "at least it's not one of those cancer machines" tomorrow and the social engineering finishes another step.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Was it TSA or Michael Chertoff that ramrodded these studies through? Kinda like Rumsfeld and Aspertame (Searle) shoving it through the FDA

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by strato
That's what you get for patting down children.

Yup - and I hope more and more of these scum suffer appalling health side effects to the point where they rebel and say 'look if we are dying its not safe for air travellers'..

If they don't rebel, well tough # and i hope their illnesses are supreme pain till they croak it. Just like I have no sympathy for Gestapo of waffen SS people who got hanged for their membership of these organisations, so I have no sympathy for the TSA.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I thought you can only get cancer from smoking or second hand smoke. At least that's what the media pounded into my head. Didn't the news just report that radiation is good for you? Once again media reporting that there's no danger in being exposed to low level radiation. So I'm wondering how many people that smoke get cancer verses how many people that don't smoke. To me it seems that just as many people that don't smoke get cancer as those that do smoke. I feel we're all going to get cancer at the rate they lie about Japan and the clean up. Would we understand why they got cancer if the TSA workers worked at the Airport in Japan? I say hmmmmmm.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join