It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming soon, the test-tube burger: Lab-grown meat 'needed to feed the world'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Awww hell no....it will not be the same.

I can tell the difference between sirloin, t-bone and filet. I have a taste for each and when I want a filet...I want a filet; no negotiation. That crap will all taste the same, like Fazolis.

edit on 27-6-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

I think you overestimate how much exactly "they" can get away with. It would only take one scare or a link to a disease to have this buried. I personally don't think it'll turn out like that. For all of the non-sense a lot of you people think is going on in the world there are people who are working on technologies like this that are intended to be beneficial to us. The current generation of tech such as steroids for farm animals and so on are much more dangerous than this tech. They're talking about replicating natural and good meat, not artificially bloated steroid animals.

If anything I'd be more inclined to eat this then anything coming off a farm today.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowen20
reply to post by Gemini67

Technically, it is fresh cow, albeit a petri dish version.
Yum.

But is it? It may not be what it seems.

In 2009 scientists from the same university grew strips of pork using the same method. They admitted it was not particularly appetising, being grey with a similar texture to calamari.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Imhotepsol
WTF is with you people. They finally get something that can help us and most people are like "ehhhh noooo". I loose more and more faith in this forum every day. I can understand about anything else but the ability to create meat without harming any animals that is going to be used to feed a rapidly expanding population I really don't see the problem.

If we ever travel into deep space you think they'll be brining cows and farms on spaceships or do you think it'll be more like this? The futures here get over it.
edit on 27/6/11 by Imhotepsol because: (no reason given)

Besides the potential health risks associated with genetically engineered food (infertility in animals after several generations, organ damage, the list goes on) you have to stop and consider that food is not given away to the hungry, it is sold for profit. And in the case of genetically engineered food, patented profit. Thousands of pounds of food are thrown in the garbage every day because companies let it rot and go to waste, no longer able to sell it. We don't distribute food based on need, only profit. This test-tube meat won't change that fact, see GMO crops.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

Again your argument is limited to our paradigm which is shifting. The world we have today and the monetary system we have today won't be around forever, hell they probably won't even be around for 2 more years. Yet these technologies, when we decouple from capitalism will provide a more sustainable way for us to feed and support ourselves.

When I look at advances like this I try not to see them through the eyes of today because those eyes are waking up to tomorrow. While I'm aggrieved to admit you're probably right now that does not mean you'll always be. We are moving into a future where we can build anything on an atomic scale - if we can hack atoms and create anything I no longer see a need for money. This time is coming very very soon.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
i wouldn't eat it.

i know how to make burger.

tissue grown in a dish will be tasteless. imagine what they would have to put in it to make it taste like a burger.

you need 15-25% fat in ground meat to have a decent burger. some burger has more and is cheaper. what will they use to make it juicy?

i buy 80/20, 80% meat, 20% fat, for my kitchens. by meat, it means scrap and anything else from the animal.

for myself i buy a hunk of chuck and have it ground up or do it myself.

it won't fly unless it is something the government will hand out.

i don't see it being a viable business here in the states, petri burgers?

a challenge for madison ave but who knows.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I have seen good arguments for and against this. I think there are definitely pros and cons to this, however I don't believe its necessary. The most practical application of this tech in my opinion is for space, as one poster has said already. There are definitely concerns with the amount of adulteration this 'meat' will undergo (the extent of genome manipulation)... and the potential for added growth hormones and antibiotics is enormous.

The source of the problem (the reason we're resorting to these measures) is tri-faceted:

-We eat too much meat
-We make terrible food choices that endanger our species
-We're reproducing too rapidly

If humanity smartened up and used 1/100th of its potential and became sustainable consumers, we wouldn't be in this mess.

-Eat less meat
-Eat local, naturally raised animals

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
most of the world does not eat alot of beef anyway.

not much demand in india or china, there is a couple billion people.

not like australia, argentina, brazil, US, uk, mostly western nations eat alot of beef.

asians not so much per capita.

what they will put into it, will not be worth it to eat, as been pointed out before.

you are what you eat and it's the same with animals.

this reminds me of an episode of "better off ted"

they made a hunk of meat in the lab and asked the taster what it tasted like.

he said, "it tastes like despair" lol!!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
most of the world does not eat alot of beef anyway.

not much demand in india or china, there is a couple billion people.

not like australia, argentina, brazil, US, uk, mostly western nations eat alot of beef.

asians not so much per capita.

Good point, but if we can use bovine stem cells to clone bovine meat, we should be able to do the same with all manner of fowl and fish as well.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
send it to the third world countries first

if it's safe THEN maybe.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
What Mankind knows is nothing compared with what he doesn't.

Working with an understanding that we are ignorant is far more wise than acting as though we know everything.

Junk DNA? or ignorance of its purpose and effects.

I don't see humility and respect towards nature, I see arrogance and greed.

Everything will come full circle.

Arrogance and greed will be our teachers and they will teach humility and respect.
edit on 27-6-2011 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Pseudonaut

i had that idea sometime ago.

boneless hind quarters and such but there won't be taste from exercise and diet, which is why people like

the taste. grain fed vs grass etc.

the growth hormones and crap they use on these animals are just to get them to market quicker and "organic"

anything is very expensive and a legal pain for growers, animals included!

it costs money to feed them.

we might as well go straight to soylent green.

if it is protein that is needed, there are way better choices in the vegetable kingdom.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Oh that's nothing....the Japanesse are researching using sewage mud to make artificial meat. Lots of protein in that poo....nothing like a poo burger...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
OMG! I'm hungry right now! And if this is the answer to avoid harming animals, then give me a burger! I've not had one in a LONG time. My mouth is watering right now! As long as the protein requirements are intact with lab-grown meat, go for it. Although, I still don't understand why meat-eaters can't be satisfied with a veggie burgers. It's just as good!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
this is just disgusting. there is plenty of meat already. how much is thrown out everyday all over the world?

it doesnt need to be grown in test tubes.

food is simple. it doesnt need to be modified or grown in labs.

im starting to believe that the world's hunger problems arent caused by lack of food. its the way in which people get the food, the cost of food, how world governments operate to serve their corporate interests. (sorry for the rant)

please anyone who is out there reading this, DO NOT EAT MEAT THAT COMES FROM A TEST TUBE! that needed to be shouted.

only eat fresh meat that you know where it came from. imho there is no good that can come of this.

this is our science now? this is what they are doing? thats an embarrassment.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

zebras, giraffes, impalas, gazelles

are you planning a trip to africa by any chance? btw, i'd like to see you try and eat a giraffe, those things are ANGRY. they'll kill a lion instantly with one stomp.

test tube meat, grown from stem cells? i'm not too sure how i feel about that, but its better than starving. luckily, we won't make it that long.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I have a question for all of you here as it follows the same line. Is a child grown in vitro not a child just because it doesn't follow the natural way of conception. You would never say that isn't a child. Would you have eaten Dolly the sheep, it was a cloned sheep essentially the same thing here? I mean there is no difference between killing the cow and making hamburger meat out of its muscle tissue, fat and connective tissue. And cloning muscle cells, muscle is muscle is meat.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
As long as Monsantos doesn't get involved, I'll try them burgers.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

i hate veggie burgers.

they are the biggest rip off in the food world. brilliant!

i have never seen the use for these things. wtf?

i sold tons, lol, grilled veggies and some great cheese is cheaper and better for you.

the sodium content and all the other bs in them are not worth it.

i'm getting hungry, i have 4oz cut of aussie rib eye for dinner.

a little spicy risotto style barley and a salad with some japanese sesame dressing is on the menu tonite.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by denynothing

I think some people are getting confused between genetically modified and genetically engineered.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join